Any Linux users here???

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by ICP_Juggalo, Mar 25, 2007.

1. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

Anybody here running Linux on their computer as their Operating System?

I been using Linux for about 2 years now. I am using Linspire Five-0 V.2 and I have a dual boot system so I can run WindowsXP Pro when the need dictates it.

I love it so far, just can't get the damn Windows emulator to run so I can run windows programs. Win4lin is the emulator I am trying to use.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I dabble for a few months on my laptop. After I couldn't get my wifi card to work it had to go.

3. ICP_Juggalo

If you're still interested in running Linux on your laptop, try Freespire. Freespire Linux

When it comes to laptops, Linux is truely a tricky beast to get to work 100% on laptops, mostly because of the proprietary hardware that is in them. I have had tremendous success with installing and running Freespire on laptops. I highly reccomend it over any other distro if your having compatibility issues. I would say that if your laptop was manufactured in 2006 or earlier, then it stands a good chance of Freespire being able to operate all the hardware in your system.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I've decided that I know windows systems too well to try learning a new system from the ground up.

5. merlock

merlock New Member

I started using Linux at kernel version 0.8. :shock:

Times have really changed since then!

Personally, I was never one for the *nix GUI's. Yeah, they make things a lot easier, but I would never have learned about a lot of the underlying system. By kernel V2.0.1 I was compiling and optimizing everything for my machine(s). When the Linux From Scratch project started up, I was hooked. 8)

Unfortunately, with work and kids' school, trying to find work-arounds for essential tasks became too much (resistance *IS* futile), and I was re-assimilated into WinXP.

To get back, I don't think that the MSWin emulators are ever going to be more than spotty at best. Virtualization (VMWare, MS Virtual PC, etc) may be your better choice.

Good luck!

6. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

i got a mandrake Box.......looking to run new Fedora Zod and set up VSFTP....i really don't have time to do a lot but i dabble a little....i couldn't actually tell you the last time i turned it on.

7. rajl

rajl New Member

I was a hardcore CS geek back in College, and ran Gentoo. I loved it, but it was too much of a pain in the ass at times. Windows is great because I'm lazy.

8. ICP_Juggalo

I have used Mandrake, Gentoo, and Linspire/Freespire distros of linux. I find Linspire the easiest to use. It also comes with a kick ass installer program called CNR. You just use that to install any new software you got and you're good to go. I hate having to type a zillion different commands to extract and run packages and also find libraries to download so the stupid package would run in the first place. CNR takes care of all that for me.

BTW, I finally got my windows emulator working, so I can now run programs designed soley for windows on linux. Bet that would piss off Ol Bill Gates! :D

9. rajl

rajl New Member

My problem with the windows emulators, like WINE, is that they are hit or miss. Some applications are supported wonderfully; others not at all. Virtual machine solutions, while they work, are also in my mind a bit heavy-handed. I don't want to boot up a full copy of Windows inside of Linux just to run simple program X.

10. EARN

EARN New Member

You can run vmware on Linux. Create a xp or vista virtual machine and you're set. I use a bootable linux disc called HELIX all the time. It's a forensic version of Knoppix. I'm a computer forensic engineer. Linux has come a long way and can do a lot of things I can't do in windows, plus it's free. If anyone wants to play around with Linux but doesnt want to install it download Knoppix.

http://www.knoppix.org/

11. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Linux? Pah...

That's an OS for schoolchildren.

I use Unix. :twisted:

FreeBSD Unix (http://www.freebsd.org), in fact.

Well, I run them as servers. For my desktop machine, I still use either Win2k or XP. :oops: 8)