Any Good Hunting Clubs???

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Bulldawg182, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

I've been wondering if we have any GCO members here who are gearing up for hunting season. I've hunted most of my life and look forward to deer season for bow and gun as well as quail and turkey seasons.

The biggest hurdle here in Georgia has been finding good hunting land and good hunt clubs with members who can appreciate an Italian from New Jersey! :lol: If anyone here has any good leads or personal recommendations, they'd be greatly appreciated. Of course, a pile of dirt somewhere on the property with a couple hundred yards in front of it would be a fun place to unleash the ARs in between seasons too.

PS: I may not speak with a southern twang, but I make one helluva chicken parmigiana and nobody can come close to my lasagna!!! :wink: :D

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

I am of course chompin at the bit for hunting season to start. Not a member of any clubs so I'm limited to my wifes uncles land and public land unless some kind soul were to invite me to hunt thier place....

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've wanted to get into hunting. I've never done it. There's one for Bryan/Screven/Bulloch counties, I do believe. I think I remember seeing it advertised on TV a few times. I guess I could rig the mag caps for my AK to start, haha.

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I'm not particularly interested in hunting, but it is a skill I'd like to have at least rudimentary knowledge of, so if any of you are interested in teaching a newbie, let me know!

5. Bulldawg182

USMC, I see it didn't take long for you to figure out what my original post was REALLY about! :lol: :lol: :cheers: :righton:

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Be careful its addictive. I hunt public land(when I have the time and money) we can probably work something out.

First step get your hunters certification.

http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=306

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That is a lifetime certification, correct?

8. Bulldawg182

Yep, it is.

9. Claire

Claire New Member

its suppose to be Joisey :p

Hunting is addictive - I sat in corn fields & woods in NJ & PA with a recurve bow and then went out during shotgun season.

I'd love to try a dove shoot if ya'll know anyplace that appreciates a nice Italian girl from NJ ;)

I've hunted for deer, fox, pheasant & shot a ram - but never dove. Dove looks like a fun time. I'd wouldn't mind going for a turkey hunt.

the way the woods have been cleared recently around the acworth (hwy92) area near allatoona I wouldn't be surprised if there's some good deer seen in the public land around allatoona. We're already seeing deer running the fields behind my subdivision & my house borders the army corp properties by the lake. So I'm guessing the deer are scrambling to find a new home

Bulldawg? did you hunt in NJ?

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'm working on the online certification now. I have to do that, print some stuff out and show up at a class next month.

11. budder

Hurm. None of the locations seem to be both 1) nearby and 2) on dates that I am free. I will have to look harder, I guess. Maybe go on a day I have a doctor's appointment.

12. Claire

Claire New Member

I just learned something new.. thank you

I didn't realize if one wants to hunt on public land in GA - the hunter education course is required. I miss the date by *cough* 3 yrs

do I understand correctly if you hunt on private land no course is required. just buy the license/tags

13. ber950

ber950 Active Member

No the course is required to get a license. However there is an exemption for us old farts.

14. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

PM me and I will tell you about our hunting club, we do still have one opening. :rifle:

15. Bulldawg182

Claire,

I've been out of NJ for 25 years, although my family is still spread from Manasquan to North Bergen. I used to hunt all over NJ when I was young but when the urban sprawl took over most of the good private land and it resorted to the WMAs, I bugged out. I had a really good deer lease up in Stillwater, NJ for a lot of years and pheasant hunted primarily in Flemmington....but I'm sure those places are gone now.

I grew up in North Bergen, NJ, (not Bergen county). If you come into NJ via the Lincoln Tunnel, turn right and go about through Hoboken to enter North Bergen. I like to refer to it as the "armpit of New Jersey"....although I wouldn't have wanted to grow up anywhere else.

How bout you?

16. USMC - Retired

I just happen to know when some Hunters Education classes are available... :wink:

And the instructor is awesome, not to mention a good looking devil.

17. USMC - Retired

The course is required no matter if your hunting public or private land. It is good for life and in all fifty states and the providences of canada.

18. budder

I think I know the instructor you're referring to. Does he live down south? No longer in active service Marine? Fundraising chair for GCO? Really ugly face?

19. USMC - Retired

You had it right up to the last sentence. Must be someone else...

20. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

I am too old for the course (pre 1961) :lol: and my wife is against hunting :x :oops: as well as guns in general! :banghead: :censored: