Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following suggestions from this forum I started using Creekside Range in Taylorsville. Been to the 50 & 100 yard benches 7 or 8 times. And have always had a pleasant experience with staff and fellow shooters. However shooting Tues,Wed & Thurs or using the longer ranges (over 100 yds) is for members only. I'm planning on joining and was wondering if any Creekside members have feedback on how the long range setup works, and/or what they think about it.

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
Not a member but have been to Creekside a few times. The long range shuts down the 100 yard range since you have to shoot past it. Since I haven't been there in a long time this could have changed but I doubt it. It used to be fun to shoot there but too many idiots caused too many restrictions to be put into play. People leaving trash, bringing trash from home and filling up their cans

·
Registered
754 Posts
Wednesdays are the long range days. As a member, if you wan to shoot on member only days, you have to call or message the day before to get the gate code. I've only been a member for bout two months, and haven't done any of the long range days yet.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Read the info on the web page and follow the rules. I have shot long range there many times. If there is excessive rain you will have to walk out to shoot the longer ranges. Having your own steel helps. A spotting scope will keep you from walking a lot if you shoot paper.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
If you want to shoot on Wednesdays there's no call in required for the gate code. The gate is open between 9:30-10AM for the morning session and between 1:30-2PM for the afternoon session. If you're not there at those two times you don't get in. Once inside you'll get the gate code allowing you to leave.

You can only shoot on the pistol bay or on the long range. The 50 and 100 yard bays are shut down since since you're shooting from behind them.

There are no permanent shooting stations at 2, 3, 4 and 500 yards because of the on-going farming. Shooters usually start out at 100 yards and work their way back to 500 yards. Everybody shoots the same distance at the same time then moves on to the next distance. You can use steel targets if you have them. A spotting scope helps. And a laser range finder.

The morning session is usually 6-12 shooters. The afternoon session is much quieter. Of course that may change as the weather cools down.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info.. I definatly need to look into a better spotting scope. my cheap POS spotter falls off the wall after 100 yards. Also do you guys shoot prone or carry your own shooting setups ?

As an update I joined Creekside since my first post, most my trips there have been at the 100 yard line working up loads for the new Rem 700 in .308. Was there yesterday and Joe has added Tuesday and Thursday access to the general public. Probaly since they now sell guns and ammo at the shack. Wendsday (long range day) is still members only.

As a sidebar: Moe the 'ugly black stick' is shaping up, added muzzel brake, bipod, Vortex Viper PST, and MacGyver cheek weld. A Jewell trigger is next in queue.
Here's a pic..
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Also do you guys shoot prone or carry your own shooting setups ?
A shooting mat would be good to have.

Was there yesterday and Joe has added Tuesday and Thursday access to the general public. Probaly since they now sell guns and ammo at the shack. Wendsday (long range day) is still members only.
I was there Friday morning renewing my dues. Maybe that was you making all the noise. Then I was off to my gunsmith in Cartersville to discuss some things with him.

Yeah, now that Joe's a "gun store" I guess requiring a gate code for your customers would be a dumb idea.

As a sidebar: Moe the 'ugly black stick' is shaping up, added muzzel brake...
Remind me not to shoot next to you!

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Riverbend is closer to Woodstock than Creekside and no special hours to use a range.
Depends on his driving time.

Now that Creekside is also a "gun store" the only restricted day is Wednesday.

While Riverbend has some nice amenities Creekside's membership is basically half of Riverbend's and doesn't require a $900 initiation fee. That's a pretty big up front hit to play in the dirt!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw Riverbend as a 'Club' with associated club benifits and commitments. It was more than I was looking for. Creekside more 'earthy' open to general public for daily access or membership. One porta potty (unisex), owner operated, dirt road and parking (don't wash your vehicle before going), rustic set in the middle of corn fields. For my requirements Creekside filled the bill. Also I like to shoot with my son and Grandkids when they are available, Riverbend has a 3 times a year per guest limitation. At Creekside I just pay the daily charge for them.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
...dirt road and parking (don't wash your vehicle before going)...
Don't go there after heavy rains unless it's absolutely necessary or you own tall rubber boots or you don't mind dragging 500 lbs of Georgia clay back home on your car! :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts