Any conservative IT/code writers here?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Owl, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Owl

Owl New Member

If you write code, create websites, do software stuff, etc. and lean conservative, I'd like to ask a not-very-technical question via PM about an idea I have...
    It's probably a stupid idea and would only take maybe a couple minutes to answer, I'm guessing. Unless it's a good idea and then we might be in for a ride. ;)

thanks.

owl

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I've created and/or modified a few websites, and have dabbled a little in programming. Conservative? I make Rush Limbaugh look like a panty-waisted liberal. :lol:

3. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

I'm not sure....
    but I don't think there are very many liberals here.

I could be wrong.
    :wink:

4. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

I apply jelly liberally to my pb&js :lol:

really though, i think that usmcretired may fit that bill...

5. The Math Teacher

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I said I might be wrong.

6. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen other regular posters that would identify as liberal.

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

:wink:

8. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

I write code in many languages. Ask away.

9. The Math Teacher

I said I could be wrong.

It's not the first time.

10. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I'm just curious, why do they have to lean conservative? Does it affect the quality of the code they write?

Is there now a "political reliability" test for coders, tovarich?

11. tgrt

tgrt New Member

I'm a desktop programmer not a web programmer although I've picked up Silverlight. And I'm certainly conservative, so fire away.

12. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

Define conservative.
    [​IMG]

13. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

can't the OP just hire someone that he feels shares his worldview with??
    I thought this was America???

14. hkdave

hkdave New Member

I'm guessing he is looking to start some web site relating to right leaning values/content

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think people are just curious what he is trying to conserve. :D

16. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

Indeed. I doubt if the even the most liberal person on the forum wears an Obama t-shirt and watches nothing but MSNBC.

17. SaltySamurai

SaltySamurai New Member

While there are many programmers who are liberal.....if you really think about it, a good programmer who's liberal is a paradox.

Unless you're writing code for programs that attempt to accomplish tasks for other programs while catching and re-naming all their exceptions and errors while keeping an instance of hope/pride alive for the other programs to embrace.....even though they never will so long as your program is doing their work for them and the other programs are getting a free ride so you will be guilty of memory leaking your system into an inevitable crash.

Most programmers would agree that such a program is a crappy program.

So how is it possible that there are good programmers who are liberal? And, conversely, how do you explain crappy programmers who are conservative? Well.....I guess the fact that groups of computers and groups of human beings are apples and oranges when it comes to telling them what to do.

So maybe there isn't a paradox. But I tell you one thing....adopting proper programming guidelines into law-making might work. It would at least have to cut down on the waste that's currently in legislation.

Yes, I'm biased since I happen to write code (Perl, SQL, AS3, Java, blahblahHTML/XML/XSL/webbie-everything) for a living, but I have yet to hear about computers leaving their babies in dumpsters or beating their wives over cold meatloaf so computer programs succeed in keeping computers in line. Maybe they can help people at least a little.

I don't know where I'm going with all this.... in summary: Computers are better people than humans.

18. Editingfx

Editingfx New Member

Code:
     I happen to write code (Perl, SQL, AS3, Java, blahblahHTML/XML/XSL/webbie-everything) for a living
    But is your code conservative? Could you have done without that conditional loop, or those verbose #comments? Is your code tight, lean, without fluff?

:cpubeatme:

19. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Depends on what type of conservative you mean. :)

Socially? Economically? Militarily?

:mrgreen:

20. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Sounds like a managerial function.