Any bowlers in this forum?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Verbal101, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Is anyone familar with the Avalanche Urethane ball by Brunswick? I'm looking for a ball suitable for dryer conditions, 2nd-3rd game on league night after the oil starts breaking down. My preferred line is straight up the track, boards 8-10, hooking to the pocket. My usual ball, a Black Widow Pearl, is a little too skid flippy for the dry conditions.

Thanks

2. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

I've got a Hammer Vibe (green) for such conditions. My "coach"/pro shop owner advised me against urethane balls, although I can't honestly remember his reasoning against them at the time. Looking at what's available on the market now, I'd be looking at a Hammer Backlash or something like it. If its too weak for you, you can adjust the finish for a little more agression. (don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Hammer supporter or anything, but that's just my .02 from looking at what's currently available...)

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The last time I took down a bunch of bowling pins, it was with a stainless steel .45
    :p
    Good luck on your ball search.

4. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

That sounds fun...
    I wish the bowling alley would let me use a .45 on those pesky 10 pin spares!

5. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Thanks Jeff, good info.

How do you like the green vibe? My wife has the midnight vibe and it's pretty flippy on the backend, but devastating when she has it under control.

I'm actually looking for a light reaction - does the green vibe do that for you? I checked on the hammer backlash, but it would still be too aggressive. In fact I'm thinking anything w/a reactive resin cover will be too much. Not sure about the urethane covers, but reviews are positive. My pro shop actually advised me against other urethane balls like the storm "natural" & roto-grip "grenade". Not sure if he gets a kick back from Brunswick...

Our lanes get so dry that I have to start using my plastic ball; it makes it to the pocket but hits very light. Ideally I want something with a reaction like plastic but more punch - thus the emphasis on urethane with a core.

6. martin_j001

Which bowling alley, and which shop?

According to a comparison using bowlingball.com's "perfect scale", the Backlash will have less movement/hook than the Urethane Avalanche.... Obviously this could change a bit depending on how its set up for you, but the potential for hook is greater with the Avalanche than the Backlash.

The green Vibe is a great ball, imo. It gave me too strong of a movement for the conditions I wanted it for at first, so I had a weight hole drilled to take away from that movement. I almost wish I had found that ball earlier--I'd have 3-4 of them all set up for different conditions! :)

7. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Brunswick Zone Roswell
    Ed's Right Fit pro shop

He didn't like the core in the backlash & I just didn't argue...

8. martin_j001

Don't know much about that house or shop--I know there are a few (shop owners) down this way that I don't think are worth the air they use to blab about their supposed knowledge. :) I know the Brunswick Zone down here in Lilburn can dry out so much my spare ball will hook, lol. Had the green vibe set up for those lanes.

Is the pro shop guy someone who you've worked with before to set up equipment, does he know your bowling style?

9. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Yes, he's drilled 3-4 balls for me & has given me a couple of lessons, so he knows me. That said, I definitely agree with you that a pro shop's word isn't gospel. So far his recommendations have worked for me, but I think there will come a time when what I want doesn't match what he thinks I should do.

Did you bowl in the tournament yesterday at Lilburn?

10. martin_j001

Agreed on the advice of coaches/pro shops. I spend a good bit of time with my coach/pro shop owner, and bowling in the same league with him I get to see both his techniques he's teaching me in action (and of course working for him), as well as how good in general he is for bowling just once a week for the last several years.

Haven't bowled a tournament in a while. Since taking some time off this past summer my game has taken a sharp nose dive into sucksville. I'm not too happy, but trying (struggling) to get back to where I was. :(

11. vanguard

vanguard New Member

the last ball i had drilled was done by STORM DEVINCENT, anybody remember him?

12. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

i dont know much on the brunswick ball. i use columbia.