Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found my old 1995 PTG Racing poster. This was the only year they raced the car in street-look - later years added wider fenders to accommodate wider tires. Note that the unibody, likely built from a factory BMW Motorsport chassis, has no sunroof; the sunroof was a no-cost option on the street car, so it is almost impossible to find one with a full hard top. In 1997, I bought an early '95 M3 and I still drive it to this day...
https://sites.google.com/site/bmwe36m3files/1995PTGRacingBMWM3Poster.pdf?attredirects=0

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can still be a fan...I don't recall Merc anywhere in the US GT racing world in the mid-90's. It was always M3 vs 911.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
You think the Ford/Chevy rivalry is bad? :mrgreen:

Bring
More
Wrenches

Mercedes pulled all corporate sponsorship of all types of sanctioned racing after the '50s ('54?) LeMans crash that killed 80 some odd people. 300SL got some serious lift and cartwheeled into the stands. The engine was entirely too fast for the aerodynamics of the chassis. At that time, auto racing was just starting to get real TV coverage and the crash was caught on film, very ugly, it's on the interwebs. They didn't get back into racing until the late 90s/early 2000s. There was the occassional privately owned and financed car through that time but they were never really serious competitors. The marketing of the AMG nameplate at the turn of the century sort of required them to get back into racing. And, the sting of a 50 year old catastrophy had kinda worn off.

·
GPDO Supporter
3,508 Posts
ChipM said:
I found my old 1995 PTG Racing poster. This was the only year they raced the car in street-look - later years added wider fenders to accommodate wider tires. Note that the unibody, likely built from a factory BMW Motorsport chassis, has no sunroof; the sunroof was a no-cost option on the street car, so it is almost impossible to find one with a full hard top. In 1997, I bought an early '95 M3 and I still drive it to this day...
https://sites.google.com/site/bmwe36m3files/1995PTGRacingBMWM3Poster.pdf?attredirects=0
I have an 08 535i and love it. Handeling is rail worthy and the power with the twin turbos is OK. I want to put in a chip and cold air intake just to spiff it up a bit. Great cars!!!!

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
Very nice. I'm certain I have a poster somewhere of the same cars (although not the same poster); I had it up on my wall when I was in high school. ALMS was just starting out around that time and I went to the first couple of Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta with my dad.

I'm trying right now to find a certain '94 325is. It was just reregistered in Decatur a couple months ago. If I can find it and buy it, I'm going to look for a wrecked Euro M3 that I can bring over to transplant the drivetrain and interior; it's kind of my dream project right now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would love to buy an E46 M3 one day. Love the beemers...

Here is a photo of one of my buddy's old school bmw's

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
'99 3-series convertible here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
grumpy said:

Bring
More
Wrenches

Mercedes pulled all corporate sponsorship of all types of sanctioned racing after the '50s ('54?) LeMans crash that killed 80 some odd people. 300SL got some serious lift and cartwheeled into the stands. The engine was entirely too fast for the aerodynamics of the chassis. At that time, auto racing was just starting to get real TV coverage and the crash was caught on film, very ugly, it's on the interwebs. They didn't get back into racing until the late 90s/early 2000s. There was the occassional privately owned and financed car through that time but they were never really serious competitors. The marketing of the AMG nameplate at the turn of the century sort of required them to get back into racing. And, the sting of a 50 year old catastrophy had kinda worn off.
This is all from memory (i.e. no Google): It was 1955. The Merc' was driven by a Belgian named Pierre Levegh and he hit an Austin-Healey driven by Lance Macklin. That's what caused him to fly into the stands.

I've got a 2003 ZHP 330i. Best BMW I've ever had, but lacks the power of the M3. Would love an E28 M5, but good ones are hard to find.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Big fan here of all road racing, although I'm a Porsche guy, raced PCA GT1 for a while in a 96 993 TT. That poster looks like Road Atlanta and the picture that SAXD2003 posted looks like Roebling to me.

I was at the first Petit Le Mans and one of the M3s vaporized itself slamming into the inside wall after coming through turn 1 at Road Atlanta. Later that day the Porsche GT1 did a somersault on the back straight which was crazy, and then the next year I think Mercedes shot a couple of their awesome GT1 cars into the woods airplane style at Le Mans in France. Wasn't that what made them pull out of FIA GT racing?

A Ha! Here are the clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rJjVaoJ ... re=related

·
Registered
133 Posts
Blake said:
Big fan here of all road racing, although I'm a Porsche guy, raced PCA GT1 for a while in a 96 993 TT. That poster looks like Road Atlanta and the picture that SAXD2003 posted looks like Roebling to me.

I was at the first Petit Le Mans and one of the M3s vaporized itself slamming into the inside wall after coming through turn 1 at Road Atlanta. Later that day the Porsche GT1 did a somersault on the back straight which was crazy, and then the next year I think Mercedes shot a couple of their awesome GT1 cars into the woods airplane style at Le Mans in France. Wasn't that what made them pull out of FIA GT racing?

A Ha! Here are the clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rJjVaoJ ... re=related
Correct about roebling. I have a old buddy that races in the Rolex series GT class in a Porsche. Good chance ya know him or know of him - Leh Keen.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
grumpy said:
A friend has commissioned me to help him do something rather evil to his BMW... Pics likely won't come for many months. :twisted:
Anyone here know what a bastard swap is? :mrgreen:
2JZ

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Georgia1911 said:
grumpy said:

Bring
More
Wrenches

This is all from memory (i.e. no Google): It was 1955. The Merc' was driven by a Belgian named Pierre Levegh and he hit an Austin-Healey driven by Lance Macklin. That's what caused him to fly into the stands.
I've got a 2003 ZHP 330i. Best BMW I've ever had, but lacks the power of the M3. Would love an E28 M5, but good ones are hard to find.
You are correct, it has been many years since I watched the wreck.

Tech5 said:
grumpy said:
A friend has commissioned me to help him do something rather evil to his BMW... Pics likely won't come for many months. :twisted:
2JZ
OK, while that is a bastard swap, um, eeewwww, nnoooo :screwy: .

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
grumpy said:
:righton:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
grumpy said:
Georgia1911 said:
grumpy said:

Bring
More
Wrenches

You are correct, it has been many years since I watched the wreck.

Tech5 said:
grumpy said:
2JZ
You say eeew No but I had a Supra with 1400 hp daily driven street care :cantsay:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts