Anxiety

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by young_, Jun 17, 2014.

1. young_

young_ Member

Honestly I don't know. I read when applying for my GWL that you're not eligible to receive your GWL if you've been admitted to a mental health institution within five years of applying, so there's a list for that. I'm just wondering if there is a similar list for people that are prescribed medicines for depression/anxiety, etc. I know I sound crazy. To be honest, I'm being overly paranoid and I'm just afraid of losing my GWL. That is all.

I have an appointment at 9:45 tomorrow. I'll report back how it goes. Thanks again for all of your support everyone.

And putting up with my ramblings :p

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

It's good that you can recognize your paranoia. How does it make you feel to admit to that?

If I'm not mistaken, the law actually says if you were involuntarily committed (1013) you're not eligible.

Let's put it this way for the "list." I entered the mental health system, voluntarily, in 2006 at an on-campus counseling clinic at a state university, with a diagnosis of severe bipolar disorder, mixed-state type. If anybody were to report me to a list, the doctor there would have been the one. I bought my first gun in 2007 (passed the NICS check) and got my GWL shortly thereafter.

Since then, I've renewed my GWL once, bought several guns, passed a background check to enter EMT school, passed a background check with the state to get an EMT license, one to get an AEMT license, one to get hired as an AEMT (and the check that was run by my employer is every bit as thorough as the one run by police departments and sheriff's offices), one to get in to paramedic school, and one more to apply for North Carolina license reciprocity. The physicals I had to do for EMT and paramedic school both included a psychiatric clearance letter from my shrink, despite my taking powerful antipsychotics for bipolar, and a benzodiazepine for anxiety. The one for work included a psychiatric clearance by THEIR shrink. *edit* I've also passed background checks for three different fire departments in the state, and those are obnoxiously thorough as well. Icing on the cake was passing FDNY's check, even with all of my "issues."

I still have a GWL. I still work. Not everybody at work knows about "me" but the ones in charge do.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, as batsh*t crazy as I am, I've never had a problem.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014

3. young_

young_ Member

Thank you very much. No offense but that helps to alleviate most, if not all of my concerns. Thanks again. :)

4. Blindeye_03

Blindeye_03 Active Member

Start with a GOOD therapist. I 'had' to start seeing one due to anxiety at my last job because I had to deal with such horrible customers (Verizon tech support rep). I would have panic attacks, and was just so stressed out in general. All it took was finding a good therapist - I fired my first one - and I didnt even take any medication. I also quit that terrible job and am much much much happier working for the airlines now. You never know...for me all it took was talking to someone other than my girlfriend that would just get frustrated with me when I needed to talk about work.

If for any reason you dont like your therapist, feel free to just find another one. The first one I had was a older guy that would just tell me people were a**holes and that was it. I mean really? After a few visits with this guy and I stopped going to him and found a woman (I am more comfortable with women..go figure) therapist that was much more open to talking and actually helping me through it.

It sucks that we as a society have such a negative stigma of needing help from a mental health professional. Whats worse is getting no help at all.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  5. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

"...like I'm being forced to join the conspiracy against me..."

:lol:

6. young_

young_ Member

:lol: ^^

So I saw the doctor this morning. Got a prescription for 50mg of zoloft. He said to give it a few weeks to take effect. I go back in a month for a follow up. I'll be shipping around for a therapist soon. Thanks again everyone. I appreciate all of your input.

Any tips, heads up, or recommendations for this process?

7. billnchristy

billnchristy New Member

I have a question, are you on any other meds (prior to the zoloft?) My wife used to take birth control and it messed her hormones up enough to need lexapro. We never made the connection until later. That combination led to migraines and eventually to having a sun allergy.

I'm not a fan of meds. I feel it is a very slippery slope.

Here's to your health, you'll find a way!

8. rankhornjp

rankhornjp Active Member

Everything everyone has said up to this point has been spot on. One thing I would add at this point is: Don't be afraid to go to 4-5 different therapist. Just like you don't click with everyone you meet you won't like every therapist.

9. young_

young_ Member

I take absolutely zero medications other than what I was prescribed today. I only want to be on these until I get everything sorted out.

Thanks! I plan on it

10. gsusnake

Why are you on a SSRI for anxiety?

Are you depressed?

...have you had your testosterone checked?

11. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Docs seem to like SSRI's for anything "mood" related these days... I saw a doc for chronic chest pains because I was worried it was my heart. After an EKG, etc she said it was stress/anxiety and wrote paxil. I threw the script away and started shedding stressors at work, home. Turns out I carry stress in the muscles under my breasts and the back muscles in the same plane. My biggest stressor? Worrying that my chest pain was a heart problem.

I'm not saying the OP shouldn't take meds because I'm not a doc and some people need a little extra help. But I would start looking at external sources as well.

12. young_

young_ Member

I'm not depressed. He even asked me specifically if I was and I said no. I'm perfectly happy, aside from dealing with the anxiety. I researched the drug and it's apparently used to treat generalized anxiety :O

Right now I feel nauseous and lightheaded though. I don't know if it's a side effect of the medicine or something unrelated. I took my first pill around noon today.

And no I haven't had my testosterone checked.

13. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

First time doing a drug may have more exaggerated effects than what you will feel once you get used to it.

14. IrishTiger

IrishTiger Active Member

After my incident with Olive Branch, I developed a strong anxiety and stress problem. The biggest thing for me is that I feel my chest muscles constricting and it feels like someone is just sitting on my chest. When it gets bad enough, I have to take Valium to help calm down, and Valium, compared to other benzodiazepines, is much more of a muscle relaxant than others such as Xanax. I don't take that or anything else. There are times in the morning when I wake up, and I'll take a valium because my chest hurts so bad from stress and worries. It doesn't make me drowsy or give me other side effects other than helping with the muscles..... But - I have a double edged sword here too.

Not only do I carry, but I fly as well. Now, I have to see an aviation medical examiner each year, and they know what I can and can't take by law. I can't take valium and fly - I have to wait 24 hours. So because of that, I've added exercise to my routine, I try and stay busy and do some extra things that keeps my mind off the thoughts that bother me. Therapy isn't an option for me because THANKS to Cow Pen, and THANKS to Obamacare, insurance is too expensive for me. I've had to find a different way to cope - and one way that I've always done that is I write. I've written two books, one is finished, another isn't - it's more of a journal of my life, only I use pseudonyms. I'm about to begin another novel here shortly. I find that helps me out a lot.

Flying has always helped me too. I love being in the air, because I feel so relaxed (even if there's crap weather around, it doesn't bother me). I even love driving. Many times I'll go to North Georgia, around Dahlonega and Suches and drive off road into the mountains. I have some secret places up there where I'll setup shop and write.

The point is, I think, is that we all suffer from something, at some point in our lives. I don't know when I'll ever feel better or if I ever will. Each of us has different ways of coping. I know some people who just take medication for it. But while that helps me too sometimes, I have to find other ways around that, and I hope that other people can find other means as well.

Believe me - I know it - it's not fun feeling the way I do most days. I wish I could blame Olive Branch, and I should, but really, it's me who should be the stronger one no matter what. Sometimes I win that battle, and sometimes I don't.

:2cents:

15. gsusnake

One of the mindsets a former therapist helped instill in me is "You do not suffer from mental illness. You do not have mental illness. You are not defined by your mental illness. You are not bipolar. You are not depressed. You are not crippled by anxiety.

You live with mental illness. Every day is a struggle to overcome it but you must. You define your mind -- it does not define you."

I have a shortened version of this I use as a mantra/chant when I meditate, as well.

16. young_

young_ Member

This nausea is kicking my butt. I feel drained. I can't stop yawning me every time I yawn it's like I'm going to puke but I don't think that I could if I tried. Apparently these are normal side effects to starting SSRI's. Some say it will take a few weeks for these side effects to subside. I have also been told by someone that has been on this same medicine for 15 years that their nausea and other similar side effects only lasted about three to four days.

I'm hoping for the 3- 4 days.

Before I took my second pill today I was wondering if it's worth it to go down this road. I want to be stronger than needing medicine to help overcome my issues but everyone says it's okay to need help sometimes. I've heard bad things about the withdrawal symptoms of quitting SSRI's and it makes me wonder if it's worth even starting these in the first place. I won't know if they help or not until about a month apparently.

I don't know what else to do though honestly. I'll be looking into a therapist shortly. I really need to find another job but I've got to wait until these side effects subside.

Thanks again for everyone's contributions and support.

17. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Va gov is talking about legalizing it up here. He got it decriminalized last year so come June I just might.

Nemo

18. young_

young_ Member

Weird that my 6 and a half year old thread got bumped but here we are..

Mental health got a lot worse for me before it got better. I had some ups and downs.. joined the fire department, became a FF/EMT-B, developed left ventricular hypertrophy and collapsed at a structure fire.. mother passed shortly after from early onset Alzheimer’s, lost a child to stillbirth.. 10+ year relationship ended when my s/o began to steal from me from addiction (past that and back together now.. years ago)..

I’ve since been on every SSRI that I know of.. a couple antipsychotics (made me crazy, ironically), mood stabilizers (lamictal was good), and plenty of Xanax and Ativan to hold me over through the worst of times.

Today, after years of therapy.. I take nothing. I have Ativan for emergencies and that’s it.

Life has turned around and my fiancé and I (same one) are expecting our first child by January 24th 2021.

My EDC is a glock 43x and I’ve got quite a few more than when I first joined.

Hope everyone else has been well!

phantoms, Adam5 and timbrubaker like this.
  19. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I’m glad to hear that things turned around for you.

Congratulations!

young_ likes this.
  20. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

Good to hear an update with good news.

And congratulations!

young_ likes this.