Answering UN's flawed gun control report

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Gunstar1, May 22, 2007.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I don't know if any of you heard about the UN report that said it is a right of the people to be free from gun violence (and state/government mandated strict gun control is how people enjoy that right), but now David Kopel and friends have a released a rebuttal to that report.

It is not a quick read at 119 pages.

http://davekopel.com/2A/LawRev/The-Huma ... efense.pdf

2. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Got these snippets from the article

from the Christian Bible
    Athenian Law
    Self explanatory
    European Convention for Human Rights

3. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

How on earth can the UN produce a report on guns, which is no doubt flawed, when the UN itself is flawed. :roll:

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

UN is international...why should they have any business in the internal U.S.? If it weren't for the U.S. being a member, I highly doubt the U.N. would exist...

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

That even deserved a response?

Where is the target of the UN helmet? I need something to shoot at this weekend.

6. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Because according to at least three members of the US Supreme Court, and a majority of those from blue districts in Congress believe that the UN is there to set standards for the world. By which we will, through judicial rule and legislative creation, interpret into law and regulation in our own country.

Those members of the USSC routinely quote and use "international opinion," international "standards" (written or otherwise) in cases that bring up capital punishment and other subjects. Been doing it for as long as they've been on the bench, IIRC.

We have to be a member to some extent, but it's a "chew the crap or bathe in it" choice. If we're not a member, the UN turns even farther against traditional US allies (although how much worse they can get I don't know.) I would hate paying union dues, for instance, but I'd have to pay in order to show up and piss and moan about them.

7. pro2am

pro2am New Member

One of my favorite quotes:

"Keep your friends close...and your enemies closer"

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

do eeeet! :evil:

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

The US uses the UN to further its goals at times. We like being a permanant member of the Security Council with veto power. We like it when the UN passes a resoulution against something we don't like (like the Iraqi ones), etc. We can block stuff we don't like and we can also push things through at times that we do like.

10. Taurus

Taurus New Member

<------------ Look at my Avatar...That's how I feel... :roll: The UN sux skunk-nutz! They have caused more deaths in the world than they have saved with their idiotic gun-control rhetoric...

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I hate the UN too but the US does get some use out of it, that's all I'm saying.

12. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Ohh heck yeah they do...I think they use the UN to throw around some extra weight when we don't have enough of our own weight...I completely agree...

I have a little more hope for the UN now that Kofi Annan is out of their...

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You are more optimistic than I am.