Another "Welfare Check" Gone Bad

Discussion in 'In the News' started by moe mensale, Oct 13, 2019.

1. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

2. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

Don't worry, fort worth police will investigate this and declare the officer innocent of wrong doing. That woman should have heard what the non- uniformed man pointing a gun at her outside a closed window in the dark was saying and done it immediately without question in her own home, duh.

3. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

I am so glad I live where I do. Way back off the road with one way in and plenty of signs with two gates 50 yards apart. One to stop you if you are smart and one that may be your last chance if you are not. After the first gate we know you are here and appropriate greeting are waiting your arrival should you come past the second. Bottom line is to get here you got to make a lot of noise and put forth some effort. So maybe just maybe with all that I don't have to worry about my family getting shot up by some dumb ass cop. With that said we are a loving bunch and welcome you to drop by. Call first. We'll have ice tea and fresh baked pound cake.

4. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I wonder what explains the open door ? Maybe just letting in some of the recent cool dry air (I've been known to do that, but not at 2AM)

5. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Who among us has not forgot to shut the door or thought we had but not completely?

6. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Less than 1.5 seconds from when the officer starts to say, "put your hands up" to when he fires the shot and just a fraction of a second between where he says "show me your hands" and fires the shot. There was no opportunity for the person inside to process anything that the officer said. It would appear that the officer gave no consideration to the fact that the person inside may be the homeowner or other legitimate occupant.

This is just a bad shooting and the whole way the thing was handled was flawed from the beginning. If you're walking around a home at 2am (whether the door is open and lights are on or not), unannounced, shining a flashlight through windows in the house, it isn't unreasonable to assume occupants of the house will have no idea who you are and may arm themselves to protect themselves in their own home.

Anytime I've seen similar situations, the officers only go in the home and around the perimeter if they have talked to the homeowner already and the homeowner states that no one should be in the residence. Even then they verify the threat and repeatedly use verbal commands before using their firearms. In cases where they haven't been in contact with the homeowner, they usually just go in (or kock at) the front door and announce themselves.

Just another welfare check gone bad in the interest of officer safety - with no consideration to citizen safety.

7. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

She may not have even heard him say anything since he was outside shouting through a closed window and we don't know if there was any other noise such as tv or radio going on inside. the commands used are often heard on tv on a regular basis. At least I hear them all the time since my wife watches all the cops and robbers shows daily. I knew it was coming the second time I watched it and still could not process snapping my finger before the shot. This cop needs to join the Dallas cop behind bars.

8. moe mensale

There's still no indication that the gun found in the house was being held by the woman when she was shot.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article236092048.html

9. moe mensale

Questions and promises.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/l...tion/287-46f76a76-9014-441a-bf0f-bd1ffea9e618
    How about "perceived threat?"

Damn. That's not the kind of memory an 8 y/o should ever have.

10. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Former Fort Worth police chief Joel Fitzgerald said :
    "Having institutional control over the law enforcement agency is a must, especially when dealing with newer generations of officers who erroneously default to equipment over communications skills."

That is a strong statement.

phantoms likes this.
  11. RedDawnTheMusical

Indeed. Probably not the support the officer was looking for. Since this was a bad shooting by the officer, support may be hard to come by.

12. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter if she was. An unkown person was outside her window at 2:00 am in the dark. I don't know about you, but I couldn't understand what someone was saying through a closed window, period. Even if she was pointing it at the window, the officer was in the wrong and should have retreated, annonced himself at the front door and knocked. He was not responding to a burglary in progress or any other violent crime, he was supposed to make sure that an innocent home owner was alive and well in the safety of her own home. He was a trespasser, plain and simple.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    MRD likes this.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Full 2 minute cop cam video.

Nemo

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Scary video.

Who wouldn't grab a gun when a stranger is outside at night, opening your gate and going behind your house with a flashlight?

What is the lesson here?

15. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

It's a welfare check, why didn't they knock on the front door and announce themselves?

diamondback likes this.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

17. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

If you act like a prowler, then you'd have to expect the homeowner to act accordingly.

The officer, unintentionally, set up the victim to get shot. It's that simple. He should be charged with negligent manslaughter.

18. RedDawnTheMusical

Your likely to die, even in the safety of your own home, if you have interactions with law enforcement that lacks basic training on how to handle those interactions?

19. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

I respectively disagree. Avoid contact with any current day law enforcement regardless of training. The training may very well be what kills you.

20. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

MURDER

MRD likes this.