Another Mosin

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I just ordered another Mosin. I just wish that I could keep it. I actually ordered it for my father. He told me that he would buy it and I could use it until he decides to redecorate his home office, at which time he will want it and his 1891 Argentine Mauser to hang on the wall. It's a laminated Mosin M38, with all the metal work hard chromed. If it's a nice as I think it will be I'll have to get myself one. When it comes in I'll post pics of it. I ordered it from Classic Arms.

2. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Just how many Mosin rifles have passed through your hands? It seems like you are constantly posting stuff about them. I'm not a long gun owner (yet...) but I've been thinking about it. Are these a reasonable first time rifle?

I looked at the pictures on their site, mighty nice!

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This is only number two. A few months ago when I bought my M44 we had a rash of people on the sight buying them.

4. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Cavediver- I was able to shoot these guys rifles on 6-16 shoot and I turned into a rifle lover.

They worked me up to it, but man what a feeling.......If I didnt get my membership to Bullseye I would have bought one already!

5. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Thanks for the advice (you too Adam5). I dropped by Tucker Gun today and got to handle one. I think my arms are a little too short to operate the bolt while in firing position. Not that I can't do it, but it would be a bit of a stretch. I guess I could reshape the stock a little... They had un-issued, unfired rifles for ~140. There was another used one in the rack for $99 that looked pretty nice (at least to my unexperienced eye).

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I've started getting into mil-surp stuff lately. When I have to give up the Mauser or the newer Mosin I want to get a .303 Enfield.

7. Macktee

Macktee New Member

A friend in the Peoples' Republic of Kalifornia has one. He has several actually, and some other mil surp Brit rifles. Probably because he is a Brit.

I went to Atlanta Cutlery and picked out a rifle and bayonet for him. It was either five or ten bucks for "hand picked", but I went thru about 40 or 50 rifles to find him a nice one. He was happier than an orgasm though, when he received it.

If you've never been there, they have an unbelievable inventory of cool stuff, primarily knives, swords, old guns, cannon, armor, and lots and lots of other stuff. Amazing place!

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/webstore/Home.aspx

The showroom is located at 2147 Gees Mill Rd., Conyers, Georgia 30012, only 1/2 hour from downtown Atlanta. The hours are 9AM - 6PM EST / Monday thru Friday and 10AM - 4PM on Saturday (except holidays). From Atlanta, take I-20 East to exit 84. Turn left and go to the four way stop sign (Gees Mill Rd.) and turn left. We are the first building on the left.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'll see if I can't convince Jenn to let us stop in Sat. we are going to Charlie Elliot that morning anyway.

9. DKing

DKing New Member

Now is the time to buy a Mosin. It is the 1903 Springfield and gunsmith 1911 of our generation. Where else could you get a big game rifle that has 1000 meter sights for under $100. Also each is a little piece of history, mine was made in 1942 and I'm sure it saw action. An accurate cheap to shoot collector’s piece, and we still have people on the fence? :roll:

:D Take the plunge, Defend the Rodinia. Make your first long-gun a Mosin.

[​IMG]

10. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

+1 on --> Now is the time to buy a Mosin.

I started with one and now I have 9. I love each and every one of them for a different reason. :wink:

If you haven't ever had one, try one. What have you got to lose? Some of them you can still pick up for less than $100!!! :shock:

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I love my M44. After my family vacation and my Labor Day weekend in Vegas is behind me, I want to get a 91/30. If I like the chromed M38 that I ordered for my father, I may just get a chromed one of my own. (especially if I should win some $$$ in Vegas. Although Ill probably lose $$)

12. RepeatDefender

Please, please don't support the butchering of fine Mosins. It is not my place to tell you what to do with your money. But consider this, each one is a piece of history and deserves to be kept as close to original as possible.

Plus, the only reason he chromes them is to make extra $$$. Why pay $170 for one of the chromed rifles, when you could get a gorgeous original for so much less?

Sorry for the rant, I just can't stand to see history defaced... :evil:

13. DKing

DKing New Member

No, no! Keep altering them it only makes mine worth more! :twisted:

14. RepeatDefender

Well...DKing has a point too. Just like the M1's and 03A3's that were sold and sporterized back in the 60's and 70's for $15-30, so will the Mosin one day be rare and highly valuable.

15. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Lol, and here I had decided not to buy one any time soon... Geez, you people and your arm twisting :lol:

So, IF I go shopping for one, what model should I look out for? Are there versions that I should avoid?

16. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I can respect that. It's kinda like and old friend of mine. He used to have this mint condition, all original 57 Chevy that was perfect. He also had one with a blown big block, 4 wheel power disc brakes, custom paint, custom interior, etc , etc. He had the best of both worlds. Maybe I'll end up doing the same with Mosins. :D

17. RepeatDefender

OK, there were 2 arsenals in the USSR that made these rifles/carbines. One is the Tula arsenal and its mark is easily identified by the "arrow in a star" mark on the receiver. The other is the Izhevsk arsenal and its is just as easily identified by an "arrow in a triangle".

Some think that Tula's are more collectible. It's more a personal choice, though, because there is really no difference in quality. I have 2 Tula M91/30's, 2 Izhevsk M91/30's, 1 Tula M44, and 3 Izhesvk M44's.

The other thing to look for is the difference in the stock. Most Mosins are in a hardwood stock. However there is a good quantity of Mosins, long and short, in laminated stocks. Some collectors find the laminate stocks to be more desirable, again a personal choice. One thing about the laminated stock....it is MUCH prettier than the hardwood. I have only one laminated stock in my collection.

Matching #'s between the bolt and receiver are something to look for, but not necessary.

If you're going to buy one around $150, make sure it comes with all the accessories (sling, ammo pouch, cleaning rod, rod guide, firing pin tool, oiler, etc.) If these little things don't matter, try to haggle on price and you may get a rifle/carbine for as little as $75.

If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to help. Mosins are the focus of my C&R collection and I know more about them than I do about any other series of gun produced. Not trying to say I'm an expert...just willing to help :)

18. M249

M249 New Member

OK, all this Mosin talk has me wanting one. Is there a concensus that Bullseye is a good local (ATL metro) shop to take a look at them?

19. DKing

DKing New Member

Pannells on HWY 5 in Cherokee Co has a barrel of M44's but they've up the price to over $100 since I bought mine there. If you can find a barrel look them all over to make sure all the serials match, it's the only advantage to buying locally. http://www.aimsurplus.com

20. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch