·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who needs a gun while riding MARTA?

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Snopes says this isn't true as weapons aren't allowed on Marta.

:wink:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
:x

I have had a few bad incidents on Marta, I refuse to make it a regular means of transportation until I can pack.

·
68,968 Posts
Given the circumstances of the shooting, this just proves that the definition of terminal, in 16-12-122, needs to be expanded to include a reasonable distance surrounding any bus, train, or aircraft. Say, oh, a mile and a half just to be safe.

:wink:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Yeah, I am with Snopes on this one. How can this happen since its against the law to have weapons on Marta property.

While they are at it they should arrest that kid in VT for having firearms on campus, oh, wait!

;)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Question for the lawyers and those inclined/interested in legal scenarios...

Assume you are a GFL holder riding MARTA--not carrying due to the law--and you were injured by an armed assailant. Could one argue that preventing you from carrying is a 2A violation, and that this civil rights violation put you in a position to be injured by banning carry on MARTA?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
M249 said:
Question for the lawyers and those inclined/interested in legal scenarios...

Assume you are a GFL holder riding MARTA--not carrying due to the law--and you were injured by an armed assailant. Could one argue that preventing you from carrying is a 2A violation, and that this civil rights violation put you in a position to be injured by banning carry on MARTA?
I would sue anyway, but I have wondered this question many times.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
tace said:
While they are at it they should arrest that kid in VT for having firearms on campus, oh, wait! ;)
They did, it just took longer to sort him out from the numerous victims lying about.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
According to current case law the 2nd Amendment does not apply to the State of Georgia, period!!! The 2nd Amendment only applies to federal action.
This is what I don't get - the 2nd doesn't apply to the states, however the framers also authored the 10th.

:-k

·
68,968 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Presser v. Illinois, 116 U.S. 252

Quilici v. Morton Grove, 695 f 2d 261 (This one isn't a SCOTUS case I believe).

I think these are two federal cases on the topic.

And then there's Georgia's own:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/caselaw/brewervstate.htm
Presser is far too early to have any validity today. I think courts citing it are being disingenuous.

·
68,968 Posts
Dave Kopel on Presser

Presser:
. . . the States cannot, even laying the constitutional provision in question [the Second Amendment] out of view, prohibit the people from keeping and bearing arms, so as to deprive the United States of their rightful resource for maintaining the public security, and disable the people from performing their duty to the general government. But, as already stated, we think it clear that the sections under consideration do not have this effect

1 - 17 of 17 Posts