Another interesting exception

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by gsusnake, Aug 19, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

16-11-172

So does this mean if I purchase something on the C&R list, I don't have to worry about the NICS check?

I mean, I don't have to worry about NICS anyway because of the GFL, but if a convicted felon wants to purchase a C&R eligible firearm, under GA law, they don't have to run NICS. Am I right?

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That's how I'm reading it. I also noticed you can buy black powder guns without the NICS check (part 1). Also, if the ammo is rare enough, you're exempt (part 2).

Like you said, no worries with the GFL anyway. But, it's good to know if you go out of state and buy. I can't remember if the GFL is an alternative in reciprocal states or not. You could test this by going to Walmart and buying a black powder. If any place was going to break this exception, it seems like it would be Walmart.

3. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Yeah, when I bought the Sig at the Fall Classic at Bass Pro the other night, I kept getting moved to the back of the line because "you've got a license, your paperwork won't take long."

I finally said (after waiting for nearly an hour) "If it won't take long, why don't we go ahead and f***ing get it done?"

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I know, really. It should be a first come first serve thing... I went during the week when I bought my 10/22 at Bass Pro. It took the guy about 30 minutes just to find the rifle that I wanted. Then once I did all the paperwork and paid, it took close to another 30 for him to go to the back and do something or other. This was the one at Discover Mills.

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

State law might be conflicting with fed law here. Does the federal gov't require a NICS check when purchasing a C&R gun from an FFL? I'm not sure so I can't say for certain but I think they do. Because of the "supremacy clause" the feds win when state law conflicts with them. Again, I don't know.

On a second note, muzzle loaders are not even considered "firearms" under federal law.