Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Sledgehammer
4,812 Posts
John, how does your interpretation square with this article from about a year ago? It was written by one of those gun owner self-defense insurance firms.
They don't square. The author (whoever it was) and I disagree. It does not make sense to me to say a warning shot is never okay because it is deadly force.

First, one of the things I said earlier in this thread is that if you fire a warning shot, it should be clear to everyone that it is a warning shot. That's a major problem with the "warning shot" that is the subject of this thread. If it really was intended to be a warning shot, how did it kill someone?

But I digress. If it's not clear that it is a warning shot, then it is instead an attempt to shoot someone (there aren't really matters of degree here). An attempt to shoot someone is not categorically wrong, obviously. That's what self defense is about. So, if you use self defense under circumstances where deadly force is authorized, what is the issue?

If it really is clearly a warning shot, then you have not really used deadly force. You have just threatened to use deadly force. If you do that under circumstances where threats of deadly force are authorized, again, what is the issue.

Mind you I am not recommending warning shots, and I think they are too often used under circumstances where they are ill-advised. But I cannot say categorically that they are illegal.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
"Wilson admitted to shooting 'under' the truck."

"There was a "single hole" from a gunshot through the back rear glass".

So his aim was about 5 to 5.5 feet high depending on the truck model and the tires on it. She was shot in the back of the head which would indicate to me the shooter was behind the truck. Seems to me the truck with the threat in it was heading away from the supposed victim(Wilson). I heard it was a full size pickup.

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
I haven't seen or read anything that would change my mind about the shooters story being a bogus fabrication to cover his backside.

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
Which has nothing to do with the night a passenger in his vehicle was murdered. He obviously is not one of your more upstanding citizens of the community. He also did not shoot his passenger in the back of the head with a warning shot.

·
PawPaw x 3
8,754 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
I haven't heard of this incident before so forgive me if it has been addressed in GPOD already.
"He also added that if Wilson had been white instead of black, "he would have been given a medal and not given a prosecution.""
https://www.theblaze.com/news/black-male-college-student-shoots-white-teenage-girl-says-it-was-self-defense?utm_source=theblaze-breaking&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200715Trending-GaCollegeStudent&utm_term=ACTIVE LIST - TheBlaze Breaking News
I am not a lawyer, but my gut feeling is that it would not be a justified shoot. He would have to fear for his life in such a degree that shooting was his only defense.
Foul words and throwing non lethal objects aren't enough. Perhaps trying to run him off the road would be, however.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,447 Posts
Reactions: Jonathan Freeman

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
More on today's hearing left out by the useless local paper in Statesboro.
https://www.wtoc.com/2020/08/18/statesboro-judge-denies-bond-man-charged-roadway-shooting/
And Hutcheson's [the gunshot victim] aunt had this message for Wilson.

"Other options were available outside of firing a weapon. Other alternatives could have been taken to prevent the death of Haley who was innocent," said Heather Ernst.
It's easy to say that when you don't bother enumerating some of them. People understand family members are grieving but don't convict the suspect because of that grief. Monday morning quarterbacks have lousy passer ratings.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
A thought on warning shots.
Depending on how you use them you could get into trouble.

a shot fired in the air which strikes and kills a third party would be very bad. So would a ricochet into a third party.

Where those bullets go is very crucial.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
A thought on warning shots.
Depending on how you use them you could get into trouble.

a shot fired in the air which strikes and kills a third party would be very bad. So would a ricochet into a third party.

Where those bullets go is very crucial.
You could say that "Where BLM". (Where Bullets Land Matters)

·
Sledgehammer
4,812 Posts
It's easy to say that when you don't bother enumerating some of them. People understand family members are grieving but don't convict the suspect because of that grief. Monday morning quarterbacks have lousy passer ratings.
"Other options were available" is just an alternative to "he could have run away." But GA has no duty to retreat, and either deadly force was authorized or it wasn't. If it was, there is no obligation to consider something else that "might" work.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts