Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
69,738 Posts
So there may be other witnesses. Apparently, Luke Harry Conley went back on his "unprovoked story" when other witnesses came forward to call BS and the police confronted him with it.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported it obtained investigative documents from Statesboro police that said Conley told police the shooting was unprovoked, but investigators later found out Conley was seen yelling out of the truck's window before the shooting and that someone in the pickup truck may have thrown a beer can at Wilson's car.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...3ccefe-c083-11ea-8908-68a2b9eae9e0_story.html

·
69,738 Posts
We aren't going to learn much more, though, due to a gag order the judge imposed. Nobody is permitted to talk about the case outside of court.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I am having trouble understanding all of the hostility in this forum for this man and the declarations of an unjustified shooting.
I too was having trouble with all of the venom toward the citizen shooter. Initially I thought this forum was built of like-minded individuals who saw the second amendment being for all people. As I see some of the comments, I'm starting to realize there are some of us on this forum who perhaps only see the Second Amendment pertaining to a select few. I am disheartened by this. As Legal gun owners we must protect the rights of all people who use their firearm for self defense not just those who look like us.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Same guy?
Yes.
▲ Luke Harry Conley, 18, Milton Glisson Road, Claxton - two counts of hit and run; DUI/less safe; improper turn; speeding; laying drag; tire violations; underage possession of alcohol; failure to maintain lane; improper backing; failure to signal turn or lane change; failure to obey traffic control device.
That is not his first dance.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,447 Posts
I too was having trouble with all of the venom toward the citizen shooter. Initially I thought this forum was built of like-minded individuals who saw the second amendment being for all people. As I see some of the comments, I'm starting to realize there are some of us on this forum who perhaps only see the Second Amendment pertaining to a select few. I am disheartened by this. As Legal gun owners we must protect the rights of all people who use their firearm for self defense not just those who look like us.
Nobody knows what really happened here.
If there's any racial prejudice involved, it seems to be that a lot of us are willing to accept the word of any white guy charged with a gun violation crime (or other situation where government agents may have exceeded their authority or used excessive force), while when a black defendant faces charges, those same gun lovers automatically take the cops' and prosecutors' side, and ignore what the defendant says happened.

Like I said

[edited: I think I've already commended on this case here. If not in another thread here at this site, then FB or some other site)--

-- if the shooter is telling the truth, (if, and only if) he's made out a pretty good case in my opinion. That vehicle and its occupants started the attack, were reasonably perceived as escalating the attack with gunfire or other launched missiles car-to-car, over some period of time and some distance of travel. This wasn't a brief "over and done" encounter. It was an ongoing series of provocations and attacks, and it's reasonable to believe that the ******** wouldn't stop on their own until somebody got hurt.
So, the victim make sure that it was THEM that got hurt-- a member of their group.

Again, that's "if" the defendant's statements are true, not a fabrication made after scheming and planning with his lawyer to come up with the best possible lie.

Reactions: huntergregory_1

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think the warning shot statement set the tone for most of the posters in this thread. We all know that is aggravated assault in GA.

·
Sledgehammer
4,812 Posts
I think the warning shot statement set the tone for most of the posters in this thread. We all know that is aggravated assault in GA.
I don't know that. Aggravated assault is a crime. Self defense is a defense to aggravated assault under some circumstances. If he was validly acting in self defense, it is not an aggravated assault.

I agree with you that "warning shot" may have set the tone for some people, but that should be because some people believe that warning shots should never be used. They are put off by the idea of a warning shot and think they always are wrong. But that's a value judgment, not a legal one.

·
69,738 Posts
I don't know that. Aggravated assault is a crime. Self defense is a defense to aggravated assault under some circumstances. If he was validly acting in self defense, it is not an aggravated assault.

I agree with you that "warning shot" may have set the tone for some people, but that should be because some people believe that warning shots should never be used. They are put off by the idea of a warning shot and think they always are wrong. But that's a value judgment, not a legal one.
Agreement

Hypothetical: You are charging me in my front yard muttering things about Trump and white people must die whilst holding a machete. I draw and fire into the ground at your feet. You stop.

Have I committed a crime?

It is obviously a warning shot.

Or you don't stop and then I shoot "for realsies." Does the warning shot change the analysis? I think not.

In both cases the warning shot was fired in self defense, and that is a justification to any charges brought against me (unlikely in my county, but, hey, it's a hypothetical).

·
69,738 Posts
Nobody knows what really happened here.
100% agreement here, but the best we can do is comment on what has been revealed so far.

With the gag order, though, we won't have as much to discuss here as we did with the Ahmaud Arbery murder. For a while there, it seemed like new stuff was leaking out three times a week.

·
Sledgehammer
4,812 Posts
Agreement

Hypothetical: You are charging me in my front yard muttering things about Trump and white people must die whilst holding a machete. I draw and fire into the ground at your feet. You stop.

Have I committed a crime?
I think not. And, depending on what "at your feet" means, you may not have even used deadly force. The standard is lower for threatening to use deadly force than for using deadly force. If you fire a warning shot in such manner that it clearly was not intended to hit me, then you have only threatened to use deadly force. You do not even have to fear for your life just to threaten to use deadly force.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,573 Posts
From people that heard the news stories regarding this their bias was formed by the media.

Here's one of the first stories I could find. Barely a mention of other people in the car with her and no shooter to be found.
And then the next day where an arrest is made. No mention of others in the car and the police had to find and arrest this guy.
Three weeks after his arrest is when they make all these claims.

I can see how biases were formed and his story looked fishy. As more came/comes out then it can change, but the media and how this was reported paved the way for the bias.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thanks for the education and clarification. I believe a lot of us have been misinformed over the years. I was under the impression that any warning shot was illegal in GA.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I think we all forgot the rule that everything reported in the immediate aftermath of a shooting is wrong.

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
The story just never did make any sense. I could buy them yelling or even calling the shooter names. But trying to run him off the road for what reason? Just decided to find someone to run off the road and do some name calling? Does NOT add up...

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,447 Posts
criminals don't always act in a way that makes sense to you or me.
In fact, they're generally known for making amazingly stupid choices.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
People Sometimes do shit that doesn’t make sense to open minded people. He may have not been passive when they yelled their slurs. His uppity attitude may have triggered them to up the ante.
Why did those teens in MS run down James Craig Anderson? Doesn’t make any sense.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
I think not.
John, how does your interpretation square with this article from about a year ago? It was written by one of those gun owner self-defense insurance firms.

https://www.uslawshield.com/warning-shots-georgia/
So, my legal perspective is this: Warning shots are not okay. Remember, Georgia law justifies your use of deadly force to protect yourself or any other person when you have a reasonable belief your use of deadly force is necessary to protect yourself or that other person from death or great bodily harm or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
This is the code sections he references.
https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2018/title-16/chapter-5/article-4/section-16-5-60/
OCGA 16-5-60(b) A person who causes bodily harm to or endangers the bodily safety of another person by consciously disregarding a substantial and unjustifiable risk that his act or omission will cause harm or endanger the safety of the other person and the disregard constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care which a reasonable person would exercise in the situation is guilty of a misdemeanor.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,573 Posts
From there, those riding in the truck told police they got onto Veterans Memorial Parkway. It was between the Brannen and Fair Road exits when they first heard a gunshot. That's where witness accounts are inconsistent.

Police noted in the report the damage to the pickup. There was a "single hole" from a gunshot through the back rear glass. That's how investigators believe Haley was shot in the back of the head.

A friend sitting next to Haley told police, "she was screaming Haley's name, but she wouldn't wake up."

They tried to get help and drove her to East Georgia Regional Medical Center where Haley died.

That night investigators interviewed everyone in the truck. They also arrested one of the passengers - Luke Conley - on a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of a law enforcement officer.

Detectives noted in the report that, "Later Mr. Conley gave a different account of the story, one that didn't match the first account" and "it was believed that Conley has involvement in the case. He was seen yelling out of a window of the victim vehicle just prior to the shooting."

Days later on June 18, a concerned citizen contacted detectives and named Marcus Wilson as the shooter. That person told police details that had not been released to the public.

"People in the black truck drove by them and started using racial slurs and racial signs."

A detective talked to Wilson over the phone and noted in the report that, "Wilson admitted to shooting 'under' the truck."
So he didn't call police after the shooting, they had to search for him and a citizen let police know who he was. All the time this was all over the news. Seems suspicious police had to hunt him down and then weeks later he claims self defense.

Sounds more like he didn't like what they called him (I'm not defending the racist one bit) and decided to take a shot as revenge.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I haven't done any searching, but I haven't seen any statements by his girlfriend. Wasn't she in the car with him? I know about the gag order but I figured she told her side of the story before that.

Also what is a racial sign?

61 - 80 of 120 Posts