Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
Can't claim self defense because someone calls you names. 10 to 1 the running off the road is made up and will not stand up.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
It doesn’t sound like “stand your ground” to me. If they had him cornered somewhere or even ran him off the road and then came after him, then maybe. He was in an auto, to keep moving away. probably had a cell phone to call the cops for help. Shooting a warning shot into another vehicle just doesn’t sound justified.
IMHO

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Seems to me the young man's lawyers are taking advantage of the current climate to help his cause. That's what they are getting paid to do. It might work for them or it may not. Judge put a gag order on the entire bunch yesterday. Seems he had enough of the horse and pony show to this point.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,043 Posts

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
It is the same law, Stand Your Ground...that George Zimmerman used for his defense in killing Trayvon Martin in 2012.
Zimmerman's defense team never used a SYG defense. They used simple self defense.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If they were trying to run him off the road, how is that not putting his life in danger? Though him talking about warning shots isn't going to help him.

·
Registered
780 Posts
That maybe could make it self defense, but I don't think I would ever consider shooting from a moving vehicle to be standing your ground. I don't know that I could be convinced it was self defense if I was on the jury. It sounds a lot like road rage. Now if he had to shoot his passenger in his moving vehicle I could see that as standing your ground.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They didn't just call him names. He left the scene and they followed him and then tried to run him off the road. That shows deadly intent to me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Who cares what he calls it? Warning shot or armed response. The other party was clearly the aggressor by following him and using a vehicle with deadly intent.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That maybe could make it self defense, but I don't think I would ever consider shooting from a moving vehicle to be standing your ground. I don't know that I could be convinced it was self defense if I was on the jury. It sounds a lot like road rage. Now if he had to shoot his passenger in his moving vehicle I could see that as standing your ground.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let 3 or 4 people come after me and my wife after I tried to remove myself from the confrontation and I would shoot from any position I could to survive and keep her safe.

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
Let 3 or 4 people come after me and my wife after I tried to remove myself from the confrontation and I would shoot from any position I could to survive and keep her safe.
The whole story sounds fishy. So a couple of people randomly decided to call this idiot names then chase him and try to run him off the road?????? This is so made up the fish have laid on the beach so long they are rotten.

·
Sledgehammer
4,812 Posts
Zimmerman's defense team never used a SYG defense. They used simple self defense.
I don't really understand what it means to "use" stand your ground, which in reality is an evidentiary rule. If a person has no duty to retreat, the state cannot introduce evidence of failure to retreat and is not entitled to a jury instruction on failure to retreat. So a typical criminal defendant would not "use" stand your ground unless the state first attempted to introduce a failure to retreat as a theory of prosecution against the defendant. But the media and those that would repeat stand your ground make is sound like a person shoots an attacker and immediately jumps up and down yelling stand your ground! Stand your ground! As though that by itself is some kind of defense. It isn't.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
The other party was clearly the aggressor by following him and using a vehicle with deadly intent.
You might want to contact Capt. Jared Akins of the Statesboro Police Dept. I understand they are looking for witnesses. I got his number if you need it.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts