Another 'building an AR-15 myself' thread

Discussion in 'How to' started by Boy Racer, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

I'm still trying to get around to building one of these DS lowers I bought from that group buy waaay back when. My first question is:

(1) Who makes complete ready-to-assemble kits for the AR-15? I know Del-ton is one... does Brownell's? Who else?

I'm just starting my research and could use a point in the right (reputable) direction.

Thanks.

2. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

[​IMG] Oh please not the "D' word. Not in my weapon. DPMS, Stag and many others make them better.

3. what

what New Member

I love my delton and up to Nov 1 the upper w/ bcg & ch are $395 link with code MPT593 (case sensitive).

Or you could go with BCM for about 200 more, they are having a sale on uppers now.

Either way Palmetto State Armory has some great deals on lower build kits w/ 10% off up to Oct 31.

4. moga

moga New Member

I just finished my DS group buy lower last month. If I were you, I'd buy the parts separately to complete the build. At least you'll have the confidence in knowing exactly what's in your stick. Further, you'll probably spend just about the same $$$, especially on the lower parts kit, but will have much better quality components. You'll only need a stock and a lower part kit to complete your lower.

Keep in mind that BCM uppers do NOT come with the BCG & CH. Add that expense into the base price of the upper when comparing products.

I ended up with a Spike's Tactical complete midlength upper for around $500 delivered. PM me if you'd like to know more.

5. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

I definitely need to read more before I begin this myself. That's why I'm searching out a complete kit, 'cause as much as I want to order each part individually, I don't know enough to know what parts work well with other parts and which ones don't.

It's my first (not last) AR; so for this one I need to remember: KISS. Just a 16" flat top for now. Later I'll work on the cool farkles. 8)

Thanks for the links, keep 'em coming. Any good links (besides the usual sites) to other peoples' builds? Parts they used (and why), mistakes they made, etc.?

6. what

what New Member

You can also find good deals on used/like new parts on the equipment exchange on ar15.com

7. moga

moga New Member

Most parts work with most other parts. The exceptions are few.

Right now, the black rifle market is the hottest thing in the firearm industry. There is an endless assortment of parts, manufacturers, and doo-dads to wade through for the AR. The possibilities are endless but can be reduced considerably once you decide what you want to do with your stick and how much you want to spend.

Unless you plan on doing long range work or undertaking advance training, you may be best served by an off the shelf production gun. Other wise, you have to educate yourself about the possible uses and appropriate configurations of the AR platform for those respective purposes before we can help lead you in the right direction.

If you're set on building out your DS lower, keep this in mind. For the money you spend on a tier-three kit from Model 1 sales, Delton, or some one similar, you are forsaking a good entry level upper from Bushy, Stag, RRA, Armalite, etc. Do yourself a favor and at least get an upper from an established manufacturer, especially if you don't have the need or desire to buck up for OTM (read: expensive 5.56) ammunition. Finish out your lower with a RRA or Stag lower parts kit (quality) and the buttstock of your choice. Later on, if you want to bulk up your kit, you can begin to replace parts with high quality substitutes as your needs and budget permits. For starters, just three modules are all that your looking to source: a complete upper, a lower parts kit, and a stock. You're also going to need a few hand tools that you may already have if you are handy.

8. grog

grog New Member