Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Another bad guy goes down

1K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  tace 
#1 ·
Picked this up off Boortz today:

In San Francisco no less,

Thursday, June 21, 2007

An off-duty rookie San Leandro police officer cradling his 7-month-old son shot and killed a man Wednesday who stormed into his parents' home, authorities said.

The shooting happened about 4:30 p.m. at a home on the 22000 block of Fuller Avenue in Hayward, police said. The identities of the dead man and the police officer were not released.

About 15 minutes before the shooting, Hayward police had been trying to pull over a car driven by the man, who they said was wanted on outstanding warrants.

The man, accompanied by a woman, had refused to stop near West Tennyson Road near Patrick Avenue and got onto northbound Interstate 880, driving erratically, police said.

Hayward police decided not to chase the car. Within minutes, however, the couple knocked on the door of the home owned by the parents of a San Leandro police officer, authorities said.

The officer, who was not on duty at the time, opened the door as he held his baby in his arms. The man at the door forced his way inside, police said.

The officer got into a fight with the suspect. During the altercation, the officer shot the man several times. The man was pronounced dead at Eden Medical Center in Castro Valley.

The baby was not hurt.

The woman fled but was caught hiding several blocks away. Their car was found on Happy Land Avenue, a block away from the home where the shooting occurred.

An attorney representing the officer said the rookie joined the department about a year ago after working as a dispatcher.

"He did what he needed to do to protect the life and safety of he and his baby," said Terry Bowman, the attorney.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... QJ3HL1.DTL

#4 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
This should be "Who Needs A Gun to Answer the Door?"
Let me guess...when you are cradling your 7 month old child?

#7 ·
I frequently answer the door with a pistol in hand, but behind my back.

That guy was really unlucky, aside from ending up dead... As this happened in California, what are the odds the person answering the door would have a gun?

#8 ·
Macktee said:
That guy was really unlucky, aside from ending up dead... As this happened in California, what are the odds the person answering the door would have a gun?
I can remember in the mid 70's when I was living with my father there were stories of people forcing their way into doors and robbing people, my father and I set up a signal when answering the door at night, if the person at the door drops to the floor the other was in hallway with loaded 12ga shotgun and dropping was signal to fire.... person answering door was unarmed, but not unprotected.

#10 ·
Answering the door with a knife would work too at that close of a range. It doesn't really matter what kind of knife or gun it is, just something to defend yourself with.

#11 ·
Hey now! All you heartless folks should feel bad for the poor dead guy. I'm sure all his fellow cons...errr...I mean buddies thought he was a jam up guy and was trying to turn his life around. :wink:

#12 ·
He did turn his life around - he just didn't want to go through a trial, appeal, appeal, appeal, appeal, appeal, appeal, appeal, appeal, etc before finally having the state give him lethal injection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.