anodizing

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Kzadeun, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Kzadeun

Kzadeun Guest

i saw a web page of a company that did color anodizing for firearms only. can't seem to find it so i come here looking for help. any of you guys know a good company that can do this? im thinking of doing a nice set of custom wood grips and if i can get a nice color other than the standard black or nickle i think it would rock and add to individuality, thanks for any help

2. tj2000

tj2000 Guest

Anodizing "NOT"

Kzadeun,
    Anodizing is pretty, but on other things than a gun frame or any critical parts. I have a small 10 gallon anodizing system I built several years ago in my garage. I used it to anodize aluminium parts on a scuba diving valve that I hold a paten on. I can do several colors and they do make the aluminium parts corrosive resistant. The problem with gun parts is you change the molecular structure of the exterior of the part and it will go as deep as .030". The other complication is it is a very hard coat and will chip very easily and guess where those pesky chips will go. You need to understand that anodizing is a very different process than chrome, nickel plateing. My advice is don't buy or have any anodizing done to any part of you fire arm no matter who says it's alright. If someone says that all those aluminium frames are anodized, they are dead wrong, they use and etch process that allows the coating to adhere to the frame but not a hard moleculare coating. If it helps any I am a mechanical / manufacture engineer and have been in manufacturing for about 34 years. By the way your tag name is very interesting.
    Take care, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. Kzadeun

Kzadeun Guest

thanks

for the info. i saw a purple kimber but i think it was the frame. though the other colors would be cool but if it is gonna cause problems it isnt that cool after all.