Ankle holster

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by gsusnake, Jan 3, 2017.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I just bought a DeSantis Apache right hand ankle holster for my new Ruger LCS9. Got a few questions.

Should I carry it on my right leg, on the outside of my ankle, or my left leg, on the inside? Which makes for a faster draw? Which makes for a safer draw? Is there any way to keep the carry more secure without using the stupid thumb break?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have never used an ankle holster, but would think that outside, strong side would be fastest/safest draw.

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

/me gives a confused look.
    Try all three* ways and see which one works best for you, your body type, and your mobility.

That said.... most ppl I've had the chance to speak with about them say that on the outside of the ankle means it will eventually bump into everything.

* three, because no one's going to carry weak side, outside the ankle (well almost no one).

4. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I have an ankle holster, inexpensive one from Sportsman's Guide. When I carry a BUG, I put it on my left ankle facing inside, so the gun is accessible for left or right hand draw. (I'm a rightie.) It feels more natural for a right hand draw from there, but it is still okay for left hand draw, if my right hand/arm is injured.

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Inside ankle, weak side, seems to work best (its all relative). Doesn't bump into everything (only your other ankle) and is accessible one handed strong. Also, it isn't a PITA when driving as it is when its on the outside strong side.

6. stompbox

stompbox Member

Yep, instead your left ankle is what worked best for me.

7. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Wow, they make them for the P99 for ankle wear! That is not a small gun. $165 seems quite a bit for the holster - had you tried others, and if so how is this one better than the alternatives?

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'm right handed.
    I wore my ankle holster to the inside of my left leg.
    I always used the thumb-break, and many of my other holsters have thumb-break retaining straps too. I'm used to them.

10. RedDawnTheMusical

I think that Alessi became famous from supplying holsters to the NYPD. I will say that the holster, even with the PPS (very comparable in size to M&P Shield) stays rock solid in the holster and to me it is big gun for a ankle holster. It is a leather holster with a lot of padding underneath, so it stays comfortable. The last time I ordered a holster from them I think that they had a two or three month lead time. I'm not sure if they still have such a long lead time. I haven't tried the DeSantis, but I'd tried ones from similar material/design and they floated around or had to be really tight.

11. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Thanks. My CC is a PPS Classic in 9. Its not my deep concealment gun, thats my LCP.

12. RedDawnTheMusical

I have an LC9 and, if I had an ankle holster for that it would be perfect as it weighs significantly less than the PPS. With a good ankle holster, that LC9/LCP would be about as comfortable as you could get.