Ankle holster illegal???

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Sidekicker, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Sidekicker

Sidekicker Member

I've been lurking around here for a while and have appreciated all the great info to be found. Decided to register after attending the Public Handgun Course given by the Douglas County Sheriff's Office last night. One item the instructors (LEOs) stressed was that all concealed handguns had to be carried in a holster (I'm ok with that), at the waist or above. That part I don't get. The law says "...under Code Section 16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person´s clothing...". I know i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I can't find anything that says the waist or above. These deputies specifically stated pocket carry and ankle holsters are illegal for non LEO. Anybody shed any light on this? Thanks.

2. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I think the law changed at some point and there a quite a few folks around that aren't aware of it.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a thread around here that spoke to this issue.:-k

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Sidekicker,

Welcome aboard!

I am curious about this handgun course in Douglas County. Of what does it consist and what is its purpose?

Also, may I get (by PM) the name of the instructor so that I can contact him about this portion of the course?

It sounds like an interesting course. Is it something they offer periodically, or is it a one time shot (forgive the pun). Is there a fee? Do you get to shoot? How long does it take? Does it qualify for other state's nonresident licenses, like Utah or Florida?

There are several people here who live in and arouind Douglas County.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well you are sharp enough to read and understand the law, which the LEO obviously has not done for about 10 years (the law changed in 1996). :)

Oh and :welcome:

5. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Malum I took this course in Douglas County in 2001 when I applied for my license. It is (or at the time I took it) free of charge. They offer it once month and it runs 3 hours. You bring your weapon to the S/O unloaded, they will check to make sure you comply with that!, The deputie(s) then go over GA law on carrying a firearm and use of deadly force. The last hour they let you shoot on their indoor range in the training facility. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the Deputy who instructed the class on 2001, but I do still have some contacts within the department when I was considering recruitment if you desire that information.

I was offered this course when I got fingerprinted at the Lithia Springs precint (across the street from Shoney's where GFODL used to meet) It was optional and I was given a number to call to sign up. All in all is was somewhat informative and fun, but it lack critical information about places off-limits that we have found scattered through-out the code. According to the deputies public gatherings were the only places off-limits and they weren't very good at explaining that one either. Our class was told that any public place that had 15 or more people present was a public gathering. :roll:

6. Sidekicker

Sidekicker Member

Thanks for the replies. Malum, PM has been sent. ICP pretty much sums it up also. The clinic was OK, but I had hoped for more information than was given, especially correct info. All in all, it was a fun evening. Thanks again for verifying the holster issue.

Sidekicker

7. Malum Prohibitum

SO!

If I am in Douglas County in McDonalds, I suppose that to avoid arrest I had better count the number of people in the restaurant.

Then, while I am masticating, I need to keep a careful watch not only on my son, but on the number of people leaving and entering the store. 14 patrons, and I am ok.

If a fifteenth person enters, I had better grab my son and run, quick!

Do me and my son count toward this arbitrary 15 person requirement?

What if there are 14 of us, and the deputy enters to see if it is a "public gathering" with his clicking counter in hand. Does he make 15?

If the deputy is only patron 14, and he is bored that day, can he invite another deputy over the radio while stalling you in the restaurant so that he can make the arrest?

:lol:

8. Malum Prohibitum

While I am making fun of this, in reality it is kind of scary to think that you might be arrested or have a loaded gun pointed at you over some rumor the officer heard about what somebody else thinks the law might be . . .

:shock:

9. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Scary though it may be, it happens all the time.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Really? :?

I mean, I was a police officer for 12 years, and I believe that sort of thing is very rare . . .

(arresting or pointing a gun based on some rumor of what the law might be, I mean, not ignorance of the law)

Officers generally make efforts to confirm what is the law prior to taking action in non-emergency situations.

I worked for three departments, and all of them had as a standard policy the purchasing and issuance of Michie publications relating to traffic and criminal laws and a few other sections of law (justification, procedure, that sort of thing) and having the officers carry them along in the patrol car.

11. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

You're correct. I had in mind general ignorance of the law, not ignorance based solely on rumor (although it might be hard to distinguish the two -- ignorance of the law likely is based on something somebody heard or read somewhere).

12. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

Malum,
    I think you might get arrested for that :rotfl:

13. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Only if his mastication appealed to prurient interests.

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

That is good to know. I was thinking it was illegal to masticate in public. :lol: