Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I was at the local gun store today, and the salesman told me that it is illegal to ankle carry a pistol with a permit unless you are a leo. I know this is not true, and I asked him to cite the law which forbids gwl holders to ankle carry. He could not cite anything. :screwy:

Anyone know where he got the idea that ankle carry is illegal for non-leos? An older statute, perhaps? Just wondering.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
pmw515 said:
Hi, all. I was at the local gun store today, and the salesman told me that it is illegal to ankle carry a pistol with a permit unless you are a leo. I know this is not true, and I asked him to cite the law which forbids gwl holders to ankle carry. He could not cite anything. :screwy:

Anyone know where he got the idea that ankle carry is illegal for non-leos? An older statute, perhaps? Just wondering.
I swear there must be a forum that gun shop owners and workers hang out on and just make up random laws.

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
I'm sure he heard it from someone, who heard it from someone, who didn't know what the hell they were talking about. :shattered:

Good for you about asking him to show you the code section that made this illegal. :righton:

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
pmw515 said:
Your on the right track. When the law was first changed in 1976 none of the carry options listed included ankle holsters. The law was later changed to include any other holster, but it just wouldn't die. Now the law doesn't require a holster at all, I figure to still be correcting folks on that one till I am 100 years old.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
dcannon1 said:
pmw515 said:

I swear there must be a forum that gun shop owners and workers hang out on and just make up random laws.
There is. It's called "GlockTalk"...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ber950 said:
pmw515 said:
Your on the right track. When the law was first changed in 1976 none of the carry options listed included ankle holsters. The law was later changed to include any other holster, but it just wouldn't die. Now the law doesn't require a holster at all, I figure to still be correcting folks on that one till I am 100 years old.
Cool. I didn't know that; I guess you learn something new everyday.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
pmw515 said:

And what gun store was this? Why must one always pry this precious bit of info from people here?

·
Registered
113 Posts
dcannon1 said:
Haha! I feel the same way. It's surprising how little some folks in the business of selling guns know about gun laws. It confuses me greatly.

AV8R said:
And what gun store was this? Why must one always pry this precious bit of info from people here?
Well... I'm not the OP, but I'm not afraid to say. I wish more people would. I don't understand the need to leave business names out of the conversation.

It's not most absurd thing I've heard in a gun shop, but an employee at Mission Essential in Savannah told me that it's some huge lie that military folks can carry without a GWL and that he wishes all the stupid people would quit spreading that rumor. He said something to the affect of "Tell all your friends that if they carry and get caught, they'll go to jail. I felt damn certain that a servicemember wasn't required to have it, but he was so confident about it that I had to verify for myself when I got home.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
GooberTim said:
Ankle Carry Illegal?

Only while wearing shorts with white sneakers and black knee socks.
Eeeek ! what a picture that paints :shock:
Thanks Tim... I just laughed so hard I choked on my coiffee.... :lol:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
GooberTim said:
Ankle Carry Illegal?

:lol:

But that's only after Labor Day, isn't it? :shattered:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
USMC - Retired said:
dcannon1 said:
pmw515 said:

Well played.

G

·
It's generally my experience that most of the population, LEOs and Gun store employees included, do not have accurate knowledge about current gun laws.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,914 Posts
GooberTim said:
Ankle Carry Illegal?

Indeed. The Fashion Police will put you under the jail for that one! :lol:

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,425 Posts
WoodandSteel said:
It's generally my experience that most of the population, LEOs and Gun store employees included, do not have accurate knowledge about current gun laws.
So, when we did the OC outing in Gainesville a little bit ago, there was someone behind me in line looking all around in wonder. "Is this legal?" she said. I turned around and talked to her a little bit, mentioned SB308, and also how different groups of us get together for lunch/dinner around the state. She remarked something about how the laws change so fast, it's hard to keep up, or something like that.

After we ate, we went around the corner to visit the gun shop nearby. She was working behind the counter. :?

Sometimes I wonder how hard it would be to come up with a little cheat card or cheat sheet to leave at gun stores with the GCO cards.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
USMC - Retired said:
BWWAAaaaaHAHAHAhahahaaaaa! :righton:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts