Animal euthanasia

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by kestak, Dec 5, 2010.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Theoretical question.
    Is it legal in Georgia to kill a dying dog/aged and suffering yourself or you need to bring it to the vet to get injected to death?

Thank you

2. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Cruelty to animals is illegal, but I don't think this equates to cruelty. Just do it in a humane manner, quick, painless. I don't think it's illegal to simply kill an animal.

3. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

Here's a couple bits of code pertaining to killing a dog. It appears the first doesn't really apply to you situation because I assume your dog isn't abandoned. However, the second makes it look like you'd be in violation unless you are occupied as one of the positions listed in (c). Violations of this code are a misdemeanor, if convicted.

4. foxtrotterz

foxtrotterz New Member

Just follow the rule of the 3 "S" 's.

Shoot , Shovel and Shutup.

Read the constitution and point out to me where in the heck the government has any business telling you how to take care of your animals. Do it respectfully as I am most certain you would after reading your posts showing your love for your animals and be done with it. Don't seek permission.

5. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

To my way of thinking, a visit to the vet has not often been a pleasant experience, (Think nuts, shots, etc.), and I care too much about my animals to add stress on stress. There's a lot to be said for a sudden demise, on home turf, that follows a pat on the head. It has nothing to do with trying to avoid cost, and everything to do with ending a pal's life at home, and with the least suffering possible.

Now, if you're squeamish, and won't place a shot well, leave it to the Vet and IV drugs. JMHO

6. kestak

kestak New Member

I am noy surebi understand.

If the dog is dying and suffering. How non humane is it to put a bullet into the head compared to a vet injecting the dog?

7. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

Vets do it with two injections now days. The first slowly causes the animal to drift off to sleep and the second stops the heart.

Probably less traumatic for wife and kids than a gunshot which can be messy and might or might not be successful on first try if that is an issue.

I know there are vets that will come out to your home and do it too, but that is probably not a very economical option.

8. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

You prefaced your question with "Is it legal in Georgia..."

Thus, according to GA law, you would be guilty of a misdemeanor if you killed any dog
    - if you don't have permission from the magistrate (in the case of an abandoned and diseased/disabled dog)
    - if it is not in the act of protecting a person, property or livestock
    - if you are not a LE, Humane Society, Animal control, Vet

That is per GA law. As we know, there is malum prohibitum and malum in se. In this case, these laws are the former. (ie: its wrong because we say so) As far as I have searched GA laws, I have never seen a provision for owners to euthanize their pets or livestock.

Strictly speaking, if you do it yourself you run the risk of being charged & convicted with a misdemeanor. I do not personally believe that doing it yourself is wrong provided you do it humanely and dispose of the carcass properly. However, my feelings don't change what the law says.

Another thing is that it is fairly expensive to have a vet do it. Last time I checked it was $60 to put a small animal down, and another $60 to dispose of the carcass. I have a friend that gave his long time companion his favorite meal in the bottom of a hole. The pooch went out quickly, and in a happy state of mind. Someone mentioned something about the wife & kids... its probably best not to have them present for the procedure.

9. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

I thought shooting your own dog for euthenasia became outlawed a couple of years ago.

10. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

If a fellow man were suffering, I might dispatch him at his request. Sure, I know that's a crime anywhere but Oregon (LOL), but I take suffering seriously! If I'm suffering,......plug me!

11. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

How did you feel at the convention?.........

12. slammy

slammy New Member

Hardest thing I have ever done.....
    God Bless....
    Slammy

13. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

:lol: Plug me! For those who were not there, I had a miserable 6mm kidney stone. A bullet would have been welcome!

14. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Why would I ask somebody else to kill a dog that belonged to me?

Everything else has already been said. As far as legality, it seems illegal. I guess its time to drop the "law-abiding citizen" act, and maybe realize that our government has made a few pretty insane laws. Now they think they can tell us, actually force us to not do what we all know is the right thing to do. I imagine as our governments keep adding on more insane laws, they will add many more that keep us from doing the right thing as well.

If you're of sound mind, you know your conscience, and if you believe in a God or have morals, you know what is right and what is wrong.

I can think of one instance when I know it is the right thing to do. I'm sure if you use your imagination you can imagine one as well. Anything to reduce the time of suffering. I hate to see any animal suffer. When I'm hunting, I always make sure I take the cleanest shot I can. If one shot doesn't do it quickly, I do whatever I have to do to stop the animal from suffering anymore. I respect the animals and the kill that much.

Do whatever you think is the most humane thing to do, and do what you think is right, if that is taking it to the Vet then so be it. I'm not going to argue either way. You can argue both sides. Falling asleep at the Vet vs. severing the brain and brain stem, which has been said to "turn off the light switch."

Carry on.

15. BirdMan

BirdMan Active Member

Perhaps you can confer with your vet and discuss your concerns. He or she might be willing to make a house call to gently euthanize your pet at your home when the time comes. I can certainly understand your point of view, but if you don't want to run any risk of some stupid criminal action ... :roll:

For what it's worth, I volunteered at a clinic for a month last year, and I witnessed a number of euthanizations. If my cat was at the point where those animals were, I'd want her put to sleep. Those animals were suffering, and I don't think they were very aware of where they were or of anything other than their own discomfort (in some situations, I don't think they were 'aware' of much of anything). In that state, I don't think being at the vet was adding much to their suffering. Euthanization was peaceful and fast.

Personally, when it's that time, I'm going to try to find a good vet that will come to my home and do it there.

16. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

The problem there is the humans. People don't want to let go even though their friends are suffering. The most responsible and grown up thing a pet owner can do is to know when to keep their animal from suffering. The loss sucks big time, but watching an animal suffer is much worse. People should remind themselves that through their actions/love, they have helped an animal live the fullest life possible that may not have been possible otherwise.

OP: Do what you have to do and shut up. Take it to the vet or do it yourself. End the animal's suffering please. Do it the best you know how and can. Don't place money ahead of your long time friend. If you feel that the vet is the best way to go but really can't afford it, well, go to the vet anyways. It's really not expensive considering the dog would have given its life for you. Do what you think is right and deal with it.... and when you are ready, bring another dog home. There's so many out there needing good homes right now.

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Why is it considered humane to "put down" an ill animal but considered murder to "put down" an ill human?

18. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

[​IMG]

19. kestak

kestak New Member

Of course money is not an issue. My dogs give me all their time and I give them just my free time. I know they are animals, mimics, adapted through the ages to be able to survive the best and being what they are to make us love them.

I am just trying to put in my mind what will be the best to do when the time will come.

Having said that, you all know me. I am always very respectful in my posts about everyone and I am VERY respectful of the Government and I think everything the Government does is the best for the society. I shall follow the law by the letter. :righton:

20. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Hydro Auto:

Good find on those Code sections from Title 4.
    I didn't know they existed.
    I thought the only law Georgia had on this subject was in Title 16 (crimes).
    16-12-4 is the "animal cruelty" law, last changed in 2000 to include felony charges for, among other things, intentionally causing the death of an animal.
    There are exceptions for hunting, butchering, pest control, and a vet putting down an animal, and exceptions for other circumstances, but that law (in Title 16) doesn't have any exception for a regular person putting down a sick or injured animal.

This is an example of how User-Unfriendly Georgia's laws are. They all need to be cross-referenced.

Whenever you find the law that makes it a crime to carry a gun to a "jail," the law (or the publisher of the law) should have a cross-refrence to a nearly identical law hundreds of pages away that makes it a crime to carry a gun at a "prison."