Anarchy

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by DrGlock, Feb 23, 2007.

1. DrGlock

DrGlock New Member

Ya'll do realize that our government is following the trend of all governments, and that anarchy is the usual course...?

1- The big pharma, FDA, and tele are all in bed and have assumed control over our health
    2- Our rights are slowly being eroded
    3- We the prople have lost control over our government
    4- That's OUR GOVERNMENT
    5- No one believes anyone
    6- We are seeing more division between the american public in regards to questions of morality (put in place by the govt. to keep us in-fighting)
    7- more and more people are sitting in the bathroom having a bowel movement while dry firing their pistols and thinking "God I love this gun"

OK, maybe its just me doing the dry firing, but mark my words, just as sure as the FBI is reading this because I typed the word anarchy, it is coming!

2. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

DR G
    Get some sleep, it is late... :)

3. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun New Member

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :wink:

4. Foul

Foul New Member

I've found that this observation from Dr. Alexander Tytler to be eerily accurate:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover they can vote themselves largess from the public treasury.

"From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising them the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence:

"From bondage to spiritual faith;
    from spiritual faith to great courage;
    from courage to liberty;
    from liberty to abundance;
    from abundance to selfishness;
    from selfishness to apathy;
    from apathy to dependence;
    from dependency back again into bondage."

I think America is on the verge of slipping from dependance back into bondage. The "great experiment" is almost over.

5. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

Small point, but we are not a Democracy.

6. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Hey Foul:

Excellent presentation, but I think the idea that democracies can't last very long, and for the reason given, isn't original to Dr. Alexander. It was (probably) first postulated in Plato's "Republic" just a few years earlier.

7. Foul

Foul New Member

You are absolutely correct...but tell that to the politicians. EVERY speech I've heard out of their mouths speak of this great (and spreading) Democracy.

Are they trying to convince us...or themselves that we are no longer a Democratic Republic?

8. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Aren't we a representative democracy? At least, that's what I've always thought. We have a democratic process but, for the most part, we elect those we deem best suited to act in our stead and cast our votes?

Regardless... regarding anarchy... I'm horrible at quotes, but I read one recently which stuck in my head.

Something along the lines is that the most ardent anarchist will preach it up until the point he needs someone to help save him from one of his fellows. I guess the point is that you don't see a lot of 50-60 year old anarchists...

9. Foul

Foul New Member

Anarchy: a theory that regards the absence of all direct or coercive government as a political ideal and that proposes the cooperative and voluntary association of individuals and groups as the principal mode of organized society.

Mankind SHOULD be old enough now to not require a "father figure" to tell him how to live.
    We have been forced to be ruled for so long that it's the only way humans know how to live.

Democracy in America

Modern American democracy is in the form of a democratic republic or a representative democracy. A representative democracy came about in the United States because the colonists were tired of taxation without representation and wanted a more fair system where the people had more say in the rule of the country. They did not desire the Athenian form of democracy however; as they feared it would give the people too much power and would lend control of the government to the uneducated masses. What they came up with was a representative democracy wherein elected representatives rather than direct rule by the people rule the government. These representatives are elected with the idea that they will accurately represent their constituents, but in case some don’t, the U.S. government is divided into three branches to keep corruption in check. These three branches are the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches. No one branch contains absolute power, rather, each branch is balanced off of the others creating a system of checks and balances to protect the principals of democracy. This system is in no way perfect, and this is why we must pursue a more perfect form of democracy and a more perfect union between our citizens, states and country (Pious; Sanford 20-27).

From http://library.thinkquest.org/26466/his ... cracy.html

Another theory.

(Bold text to show that both terms are pretty much interchangeable.)

10. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I've often wondered if the Romans saw it coming...

11. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

nope not just you :oops:

I don't think the Roman's saw it coming, I'm pretty sure that Nero was telling them all was well the night before Rome burned.

It is the fate of all Republics to grow large on the backs of it's subjects, until they can no longer support it's weight.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Has anyone read Collapse by Jared Diamond? IIRC it is all about the fall of empires and the how/why. It's on my to read list.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Molon Labe, the country was not designed to be a democracy. Can we honestly say it still is not?

Benjamin Franklin responded to a woman who asked what form of government had been arranged, "A republic, if you can keep it."

Have we kept it?

The Founders designed a republic with extremely limited powers. Under the original framework, a Second Amendment, and the rest of the bill of rights, was deemed unnecessary, because government had not the power to regulate the areas covered in the bill of rights. Indeed, Hamilton wrote that a bill of rights would be dangerous because it would inform the government that they may regulate using a power not granted so long as they did not deprive the right stated.

Today, do politicians even ask whether a certain bill is an exercise of power granted under the Constitution in Article I, Section VIII? Or do they just ask whether the majority wants it, and, if the majority wants it, the majority gets it!

I heard a short news blurb today that one out of every six Americans now depends on some form of public assistance. Where is that power to transfer wealth in the Constitution, again?

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

No.

We lost it around the end of the Civil War.

15. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

This guy came to the same conclusion I did, but way before I ever did. Fairly cool.

16. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

While I agree with the prescribed path, the origins of that quote are (at best) dubious.

http://www.lorencollins.net/tytler.html

Well said.

17. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

10 year old necropost! :panic:

18. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That has to be a new record.