An offer

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Rammstein, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

So my friend called me up today and asked if I would sell my Glock 23 to him. He's more of a 1911 guy, but I think I've turned him to the dark side.

My question is: Do you think $400 cash is fair for a stock Glock with ~800 rounds through it? I've kept the thing in pristine shape since it was my old carry piece.

I would like $500, but at the same time I am willing to part with the extra $100 if this turns him into a Glock fan.

So...what say you?

2. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus New Member

Heh, $425 and I'll buy it.... :lol:

I dunno, I've yet to shoot a glock. I don't think 800 rounds is all that much. Considering what they go for brand new,
    I think it sounds more than fair.

3. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I'm thinking of getting into the Glock game myself. I'm just not sold on that half-cock action they have with no external safeties. I know the 4 rules and all but most AD's/ND's I have heard about have been with Glocks... maybe just because so many people have them... I dunno. I'm thinking a Glock 29. If I'm going from a 1911 to a Glock, I need a bigger bang to somewhat justify it lol.

As far as the post.. I think 450 is reasonable... especially for a FTF where he avoids sales tax. 400 is a great deal, for him.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I got a spingfield armory XD-40, similar in design to a glock, but has a grip safety and the shape of the grip is closer to the 1911.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

In talking to my brother we both thought that $450 is a fair price. So you guys were spot on.

foshizzle, you should look into the internals of the Glock. They are really safe so long as the user doesn't put their booger hook on the bang switch.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

5" or 4"?

How do you like it? How does it compare to a Glock?

I was thinking about putting the $400 towards a Glock 26.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Why? :?

Get the 27 - you can't tell the difference by looking at it anyway, but the results on the business end are more, oh, how would Col. Cooper say? Oh, yeah: conclusive.
    :wink:

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

4", I love it. I got it in stainless. I liked the grip's feel more on the XD than the Glock.

9. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus New Member

As I said previously, I've yet to shoot a glock....

But my XD 40 is just... well...

Sexy... I duno how else to say it..

:lol:

heh, G'Night all!

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

So I told him $450 is a fair compromise and he said he can't come up with the extra $50. So no deal.

Hey....anyone want to buy a Glock 23 for $450? ;)

MP, I'm not so much a fan of the .40 any more. The logic is shot placement is key. And when you put a 9 and a 40 back to back...the size is negligible.

Besides, I get more ammo for my dollar by going with the 9mm.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Sorry we ruined your deal. :cry:

So, use a .22 long rifle, it is a lot cheaper and sure is quieter and less recoil . . .

:lol:

Can't deny that it is cheaper. I shot a lot of deer with the 9mm (how many people can say that?). Good shot placement, too. Piss poor stopper. Sorry, it is just a fact.

To quote Col. Cooper: "Using a 9mm for self defense is much like using a .375 on buffalo. Most of the time it will do-most of the time."

I am going to have some 9mm tomorrow, though, if you show up.

UPDATE: As for shooting deer, this guy did not have the same experience: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/9mm%20vs%2045.htm

12. Malum Prohibitum

Personally, I prefer .45 ACP. To my knowledge, it is the only modern handgun cartridge ever designed for the sole purpose of stopping a human being (specifically Moro tribesmen - muslims - some things never change), and that was with ball ammo.

Every other round had some other purpose in mind. Something to think about.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8)

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

8)[/quote:1lsutuk4]

You have to read what MP says very carefully sometimes. He did not say the 9mm was not designed to kill or it was designed to wound, he said stop.

Yes the 45ACP and the 9mm were designed at practically the same time in history, each of their inventors having come up with a design for a semi-auto pistol and both had foremost in their minds the need of their military.

The difference between the 2 calibers show up when you look at what each of their respected militaries wanted (US with .45 and Germany with 9mm). The US demanded a large caliber round so that in the trench warfare at the time, an enemy soldier that was hit could not continue forward even a little (protecting the rushing enemies behind him and allowing them to get even closer to your trench). In fact the luger (the pistol, not bullet) was looked at in 9mm by the US and we said, nice gun... can we get one in something like a .45 caliber?

Frankly it was the countries military that "designed" the 2 calibers by creating a list of features the round needed to meet for the pistol to be accepted (and money made). At the top of the US's list was stopping power, which for Germany I believe was a slightly lower priority (not at the bottom, just not at the top either).

Notice that once our military lowered the priority of the need for stopping power to having other priorities, we started using the 9mm as well.

15. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I remember a funny thing about the Winchester Model 97 (12 gauge shotgun) that the military used (adapted to use the standard bayonet).

We had a battle somewhere (cant remember where right now, but during WWI) that we had an enemy that had fanatical units (some helped with drugs) that just would not go down when shot. So they got some shotguns in the trenchs to defend against these people, and aparently what a pistol/rifle bullet can't bring down, a 12 gauge can.

16. Malum Prohibitum

At least somebody is reading my writing carefully. :lol:

17. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus New Member

Malaysia perhaps?

18. Malum Prohibitum

Shotguns were used in the trenches in WWI, and they are still in use today.

The .45 ACP was developed in response to the experience with certain muslims in the Phillipines (Moro tribesmen), since .38 caliber class handguns were not doing what was expected (and, frankly, neither was the Krag rifle). A short bit of history:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/1911care.htm