An actual diet that is working for me. Keto.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by TITAN308, Aug 13, 2016.

1. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

I started the keto diet a little over a week ago. Somehow I've lost 6 pounds in the first week alone. I'm not even sure how that is possible, but the scale doesn't lie.

Basically I keep to 30g of carbs or less a day. You are allowed under 50g, but most suggest the lower amount so you have wiggle room for screw ups.

To supplement this I've also eliminated sugar almost completely from my diet. So 3g or less a day. This basically covers the multitude of seasonings that generally contain less than 1g of sugar.

I also make sure to stay at 2,000 calories or less a day. At the end of the day calories in, calories out.

I started keto so I could retrain my body to burn fat. On this diet you can pretty much eat fatty stuff, and it is encouraged. (like fatty cuts of meat). Fat keeps you full. This is why other diets never worked for me I guess.

The first three days my body was definitely not happy. Stomach pains and... uh... frequent trips to the bathroom (might account for the extra weight loss... you know... water weight). All good now though.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  2. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

All those negative consequences, man. They are not your fault.

We need to outlaw this stuff quick before someone else gets stomach pains and starts to waste away.

[/sarcasm]

Keto, huh? Hmmmmmm

3. TITAN308

I am naturally skeptical of all dieting plans that don't involve simple "stop eating more calories than you burn fatass", but Keto seems legit as it also retrains your body to burn fat instead of those stored carbs/sugar.

I tried dieting that lowered my calorie intake, but my body just wasn't giving me results that made my brain satisfied. When you can literally weigh yourself day to day and see it dropping, its a motivator.

4. TITAN308

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I hope to eventually move to an almost zero carb lifestyle. Sadly, unless you want to eat bland ass food for the rest of your life, seasonings will always contain very very small percentages of carbs. (usually listed as >1g on the label).

The more I read, the more I realize carbs are really really really bad in regard to body regulation.

You also have to be careful on protein intake, from my understanding if you eat too much your body converts it to sugar.

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Keto diet is the only one that has ever worked for me. The Keto-Flu is an acknowledge side-effect for the first 2-5 days. After 2-3 weeks you will see a marked increase in energy and your appetite will decrease. Remember, too much protein and too little fat are the mistakes many make on this diet. American's have been brainwashed that fat is the enemy. My cholesterol went down dramatically on the high-fat, low carb keto diet. Confirmed for over 3 years that it wasn't a fluke but was a real decrease after many years of elevations. That and a loss of 90 pounds over 24 months with no losses with any other diet have be a believer. Good luck, oh and Hardees has the best 0 carb breakfast for on the road - its not on the advertised menu but ask for the "Low Carb Bowl" - lots of eggs, bacon, cheese (three kinds most times), and sausage for <$4.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  6. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Congrats man! I did it, lost 60 lbs. It works, carbs are the devil.

7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Amen Brother!

8. TITAN308

I was fortunate that my only problem was the runs for the first couple of days. I lucked out and didn't get the groggyness, headaches, and other really unpleasant stuff people report.

9. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

You are lucky but in the long run its well worth it IMHO. Just remember to increase your H2O intake too so that you flush your kidneys more completely and regularly. Ketosis + too much protein puts a strain on them.

10. EJR914

Very true!

Also, why does beer, red wine, and whiskey have to be a carb? :(

11. TITAN308

I actually suspect this is where my actual "stomach" issues came from. I upped my intake of straight water consumption from basically none, to a whole lot.

12. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

While they do have calories - Vodka, Gin, Rum, and Whisky have 0 carbs FYI.

13. EJR914

Guess its whiskey for me :) I love my craft beer and red wine so much though

14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Six things

I am on a diet that only allows me to eat six things:

I only eat those things which I can:

-buy
    - find
    - catch
    - steal
    - kill

or

- holds still long enough!

15. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

Ever seen an endurance athlete on a low/no carb diet plan?

Carbs get a bad rap, but it's really not totally their fault. Our sedentary lifestyle is just as much to blame, if not more.

Our ancestors, while working 12-14 hour days in the fields, ate tons of carbs and full fats. The obesity epidemic is a very recent phenomenon. Work hard on a regular basis, and you'll find that you have to eat some carbs to get enough calories.

As far as weight loss goes, I never recommend that anyone not morbidly obese lose more than 1 or 2 lbs a week. This is a healthy weight loss that won't cause other health problems. Losing 6 lbs a week can lead to other issues, and can be an indication of other problems. Sometimes it's simply a great deal of sudden water loss.

And FWIW, the Keto diet has been proven to have the same rate of recidivity as every other fad diet... that is to say, quite high. Yeah, you lose lots of weight by shocking your body at first, and it's mentally uplifting for the immediate satisfaction stimulation, but it's not healthy long term and not particularly sustainable.

Good luck with your weight loss. I hope things work out well for you.

Az

16. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Attached Files:

17. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I appreciate your opinions, but my cardiologist and I disagree as do many studies. 4+ years and counting with significant weight loss, stable nutritional panels, lower cholesterol, and more energy when nothing else worked. I realize that many in medicine today have staked their reputations on low cal, low fat diets, but they're just wrong. Anyway, it works and all measurable medical indicators for me have been significantly better for 4+ years. Have a great day.

18. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

Yes our ancestors ate carbs and were more active, but they weren't eating sugar loaded processed foods. I think that has a lot to do with the obesity epidemic.
    Good luck to you Titan and keep it up.

19. smn

smn Active Member

I read market-ticker.org for some good market analysis and for the fact that the owner of the site is on a low/no carb diet himself and has had remarkable results. See this link: https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=231475

The bad feeling you get the first few days after cutting carbs is the withdrawal your body endures as it lets go of its sugar addiction.

20. TITAN308

Letting go of milk was the hardest thing for me as silly as it sounds. Some people had a beer with dinner, a beer with a snack, a beer when they are just plain thirsty.

I liked milk.

Bottom line, even skim milk has friggin like 12g of a sugar in one serving size cup . It is almost on par with one can of soda.