Ammo theft at Wally World

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by tace, Jul 1, 2007.

1. tace

tace New Member

I stopped at the Marrow Wal Mart before heading to the range. Their glass locked cabinet for ammo was empty. I asked if they weren't carrying ammo any more and they replied that the cabinet was broken into and at the moment what was left was locked "in the back".

I guess the rising price of ammo made it even more attractive. They came in a late night shift, broke into the cabinet, took some and ran out the emergency exit close by.

Oh, and they didn't have the $35 sale on the UMC 250 pack, was still $40.

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

If that kinda theft is going to be widespread, it only hurts prices. Was the glass broken or did they just use the key?

3. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I doubt it would be widespread...I would think it would be more likely to see walmart (and like) stores just stop carrying it.

It makes no sense why someone would steal ammo, per pound and ease, seems like there is a lot of other things that would be more lucrative.

The thieves are definitely stupid, but I doubt very many of them try to steal ammo from a gun store or range where they know the staff is armed.

Walmart is an easy target, usually I have to hunt down someone to sell it to me. They leave it unmanned all the time. A $2 lock on a glass door isn't very secure.

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, a surplus store down here got robbed of some handguns and some other stuff (not sure what exactly). It was after hours, though.

5. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Think someone just got tired of waiting for help and flipped the lid?

6. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

An employee probably stole a bunch of it but that doesn't quite sound as good now does it.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

That's what I was gonna say.

If I am CCing I just start looking for the key after I ask 2 people and wait ~10 minutes.

If I am OCing I wait until someone comes.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

oh....and I now know where they keep the keys at the two walmarts I buy ammo at.

9. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Of course you actually PAY for the ammo after you boost it from the case.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Naturally.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Just pick up the phone and dial "0". That'll give you the operator. They'll page or radio for whoever. They don't ask who's calling, so they'd never know. 8)

12. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

I used to do that at Target back in high school to make free calls out instead of going to a pay-phone. (That was before cellphones made it down to my income bracket)

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

awesome.

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

There's also a "page" button on the phone if you're that brave. If there isn't a button you have to dial some extension (can't remember what it was).