Ammo Question: Why and How?

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by rjinga, Dec 10, 2017.

1. rjinga

rjinga Member

This isn’t your typical “how much ammo do you have” question. Instead, I’m asking for the reasoning behind the amount of ammo you have. And, does that reasoning affect how you store your ammo?

For example, my “why” is practice/recreational shooting, and WORL situations. Therefore, my “how” is to try and keep my ammo in smaller, easily portable, cans. And, most of it is already in mags or on clips: 800 rounds of 7.62x51 in 40 mags in 10 4-pouch bandoliers; 800 rounds of 7.62x39 on 80 stripper clips; 60 rounds (and one in the chamber) of 9mm in four mags. As a further specific example, included in the previous numbers is a “combo” can with one 4-pouch 7.62x51 bandolier, 12 7.62x39 stripper clips (bandolier or pouches TBD), and a 2-mag belt pouch of 9mm. It is my “the SHTF and I only have time to grab one thing” can.

So, are you buying ammo for shooting whenever you find a good price, and then whatever is leftover goes to your heirs after you’re gone? If so, then 30k rounds in your basement in 200 lb containers isn’t a problem. However, if you’re a prepper, how many of those containers can you lug to your vehicle and/or how quickly can load loose rounds into your weapon. Do you just drop by Walmart and buy what you need on your way to the range or hunting spot? Or, are you concerned about a long-term disruption, or eventual ban, in ammunition availability?

For the sake of brevity, if your only contribution to the discussion is “you can never have too much” or “better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it” or “that’s a good start” just put this emoji :righton: on your post and we’ll all know what you mean.

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I have three methods of storing ammo, based on how quickly I might need it.

Most of my ammo is stored in the factory packaging in a locking gun cabinet and heavy-duty office supply cabinet. I don't need this ammo in a hurry. I'll open the cabinets when I'm about to go shooting and select what I think I'll use that day.

But what about an emergency, you ask?
    Well, for each gun that I would want to take with me to kill something (could be a rabid dog at my back porch, a broken-legged deer on my street in front of my house, an intruder, a looter, an escaped prisoner trying to hide in my garage...)
    I have a couple magazines / speedloaders of ammo staged and ready to go where the gun is kept in the gun safe. So as I grab the weapon out of the safe, I just have to reach over once more to pick up a limited supply (just an extra mag or three) for it.
    THAT would be what I grab in a "no time to pack-- just bug out now and head for the hills" scenario. One handgun, one rifle, and maybe 3 magazines for each, already loaded and ready to use.

The third method of storing ammo, and the one I don't recommend to anybody, is in a 5 gallon bucket next to my gun cleaning table. When I come back from a trip to the range and empty out my pockets and my range bag, I get lazy and stick any leftover ammo in that bucket, in whatever condition I find it (often it's loose rounds, not in a box) telling myself I'll put it away in the cabinet "later." Later could be weeks or months. Sometimes I have to dig into the bucket to find it again for the next shooting session.

3. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I don't buy "training" ammo and "duty" ammo. I buy what I plan to use and don't have to worry about grabbing the wrong load. I buy when there's no pressure to do so if prices are good and always in bulk. The worst time to buy ammo (or anything really) is when conditions create panic (real or imagined). The day after Chelsea Clinton is elected president isn't going to be the best time to stock up! :mrgreen:

4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I keep mine in steel ammo cans. I have a number of GOOD (get out of dodge) cans containing a specific quantity of X rifle, Y rifle and Z handgun ammo. I have a quantity of cans with this set up designed to be taken if I need to go away quickly and each is marked so I know at a glance which they are.

There are others containing a setups for other things. As in wheel handgun range, autoloader handgun range, rimfire range, hunting rifle, defense rifle and categories of that type.

Each can is also numbered and noted on the outside the specifics of whats inside. A master list is maintained.

Another list is maintained which is the list of other firearms and related stuff held in other places. That list is hard to find. No you cannot see a pic of the stack of the cans.

Nemo