Ammo Laws

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Scott Farbiash, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Scott Farbiash

Scott Farbiash Guest

Hi all I am Scott from Florida:

Are there any restrictions on the types of ammo you can use in GA. I will be visting your state at the end of the week :?:

Scott :D

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

All normal ammo is okay. If you've managed to find some HE rounds, they may not be allowed, but I'm not sure about that.

3. Scott Farbiash

Scott Farbiash Guest

Thank you

Thank you budder.
    Scott

4. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Although I'm not positive, but I believe I read someplace that tracer rounds are banned in GA. Which is a shame as they look sooooo cool at night...

:(

5. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I have never heard such a thing. I would imagine many ranges have banned them due to the drought and fire danger but I don't think there are any laws in place.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, I've just heard of range rules. So just check the rules on the range before you go. Of course, the WMA ranges that have no rangemasters.....just about none of the rules are followed...I see clays broken everywhere. I've seen people without eye/ear protection.

7. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Tracers rounds are not banned in GA, they are legal.

I believe that because of the drought some localities tried to ban the discharge of tracers on a temporary basis so that fires would not be set. I'm not sure though.

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

As long as the ammo is in compliance with federal law you can use and carry whatever you want. You can carry hollow points if that is what you are asking. :lol:

9. Scott Farbiash

Scott Farbiash Guest

Thank you all

Yes I am primarily concerned with the carring of Hollow Points and +P+ ammo.

Scott 8)

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Re: Thank you all

100% legal in Georgia.

Very few states ban the carrying of hollow points, New Jersey comes to mind.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, and the "logic" banning HP has to be horrible. I mean, why would you want FMJ rounds in close houses or apartments. They just go straight through your target...

12. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

As far as I know, there are only three laws that apply to ammo in Georgia:

1-- Exploding bullets will get you in trouble.
    2-- Putting nuclear, biological, or chemical warheads on your defensive rounds will get you in trouble.
    3-- All bullets fired horizontally, regardless of muzzle velocity, will fall to the ground at 32 feet per second squared. (Not a statute found in the Code book-- it's the law of gravity!)

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, approximately 32 ft/s...there's that whole drag thing that depends on density of air which depends on temperature/humidity/etc.

What code section prohibits exploding bullets?

14. Scott Farbiash

Scott Farbiash Guest

Can I use SSPs

Can I use my 007 SOUND SEEKING PROJECTILES? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott

15. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Horizontally or vertical?

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea. Technically if you drop a bullet at the same time you fire it, they will hit the ground at the same time. If you shoot one in the air, it'll take over twice a whole lot longer to hit the ground because it has to slow down, turn around, and then came back down (after making it as high as it does before gravity catches on).

17. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Actually, HE rounds are not a "destructive device" under NFA rules unless they contain an ounce or more of explosives. Many 20mm rounds are not DDs because of that rule. So just about all HE small arms ammo is not regulated under NFA.

Of course, there could be some other explosives law I am not aware of that limits possession of HE rounds.

18. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

:) Wasn't referring to NFA rules, since those apply at a national level. Scott's just looking for GA-specific laws.

19. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

High Explosive Rounds

As to ammo with explosive or incindiary bullets, if the projectile itself contains more than 1/4 ounce in it, see OGGA 16-7-80 as to the definition of "destructive device" (assuming a bullet is a "missile" or similar device).

Note that the 1/4 ounce rule applies to the content of the projectile part of the round, not the propellant charge that is only used to send it toward the target. Would a .50 BMG tracer have .25 oz of incindiary material in it? If so, this law would make it a 3- 20 year felony with a $25,000 fine to have one.

Note also that "incindiary" has its own definition and "hoax devices" and "replicas" are banned. (So having a deactivated artillery shell is a crime (OCGA 16-7-85) since it looks like a real one and would fool people into thinking it was the real thing, and the real one would be illegal since it would have more than .25 oz of explosive in the warhead.)