Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am expecting my new rifle sometime next week (had to wait on the barrel) and I want to order some ammo so I can shoot when it arrives. The rifle is a Spike's lower with a Rock River varmint style upper with a 20" stainless 1:8 twist barrel. I hope to try to learn to shoot out to 400 or 500 yards with this rifle in the future but for now just want some bulk ammo to shoot with to start learning the rifle.

I have been looking on various sights on the web and wonder if anyone has any experience with some of the manufacturers I keep seeing with the more inexpensive rounds. I am on a bit of a budget but don't have to get the bottom of the barrel.

These are (in no particular order)...

Wolf
Brown Bear
Silver Bear
Gold Bear
PMC
PRVI
Federal American Eagle
Hornady

I think I will stay away from the Tul/Tula brand.

Also any thoughts on type of bullet as far as accuracy. A friend was telling me the FMJ are less accurate and the hollow point and soft point were better.

And any suggestions for a scope in the $300-$400 range.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Galactic I have had good luck with the Federal Value Pack of 200 at Walmart. I think it ends up at about .41 cents a round after tax. I think it's a 50 grain HP bullet.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If you're willing to buy in bulk, get 1k rounds of M855 or M193 from an online retailer like Palmetto State Armory. For 55gr. M193 you can come in about .30 a round, shipped. The last time I ordered 62gr. M855 from them, it was .36 a round.

Edit: Oops, wait. Is the RRA Varmint .223 only?

·
Registered
477 Posts
grumpy said:
If you're willing to buy in bulk, get 1k rounds of M855 or M193 from an online retailer like Palmetto State Armory. For 55gr. M193 you can come in about .30 a round, shipped. The last time I ordered 62gr. M855 from them, it was .36 a round.

Edit: Oops, wait. Is the RRA Varmint .223 only?
It should be the .223 Wylde chamber in a Rock River. They are safe for 5.56 loads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it is the Wylde chamber so I should be good for both .223 and 5.56. That was another reason to go with the RRA upper.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd stick with Hornady, Win, Federal or PMC in a Varmint type upper - BUT I've had really good luck with Silver Bear 62gr HP and SP - velocity and accuracy wise.
You may hve to reload to get the most out of a varmint type AR. They can be seriously accurate from what I've read. I've never owned a varmint style AR - only 16" skinny barreled ones.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have fed thousands of Silver Bear 62gr through my DPMS's.
With a suppressor, w/o suppressor...
Never a problem. I don't need brass for reloads so that isn't a consideration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts