Ammo box from Harbor Freight - any good?

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by DennisM, Mar 28, 2014.

1. DennisM

DennisM New Member

Just noticed that Harbor Freight has ammo boxes on sale thru April for $5.99. I read the reviews on the Harbor Freight web site and they were mixed.

I'm looking for storage for handgun ammo that is in factory boxes (Winchester white box or similar) and will be stored in the house. I'm not looking for ammo cans that can be tossed in the truck and left there for long periods.

Has anyone used these?

2. ET.

ET. Active Member

No not yet, but I was in the army surplus store last week and saw that the metal army boxes are priced over 20 bucks now. I remember when they were as cheap as the Harbor Freight boxes. I might have to check them out.

3. DanKATL

DanKATL New Member

They are a cheap copy of the Plano and will stack with them. As with anything else at Harbor Freight, check them closely as you are their QC department.

4. Pinehtr

Pinehtr Member

I use 5 Gal. buckets with a twist top from Home Depot.

5. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Full of lead
    that would be too heavy for me !

6. Pinehtr

Pinehtr Member

It is heavy.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Harbor Freight has a sale on plastic "Bunker Hill" brand ammo boxes.
    It requires a coupon, but aren't all the coupon books given away free at the front of every store? I got my coupon from some gun magazine-- I think it was Guns & Ammo, but maybe it was the NRA's First Freedoms mag.

upload_2020-2-9_9-0-0.jpeg

Anyhow, the sale is for these plastic AMMO CANS, called "ammo dry box" in the ad, for $2.99 each. Limit of 5 per person, per coupon. This is half price their normal $6 price for this item, and 70% off the name-brand competing product it's similar to (Rangemaxx).

The coupon is good through the whole month of February... the 29th !

8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

GS, note the date on this thread.

But, I have a dozen or so of the plastic Harbor Freight boxes. They used to do a buy anything get one free coupon for those. Now they are doing other things, flashlights mostly.

I have a fair pile of 5x7 tarps, junk 24 count AA and AAA batteries, flashlights and stainless steel bowls with a magnet on the bottom.

Those ammo boxes are good for storage of lighter things while sitting on a shelf. The handles come off easily, the latches are ok at best. They do not seal very well and I would not put anything in there for long term unless I did a vacuum seal on it first.

I have not purchased any. Spend the $$ at a show or someplace and get the real milsurp ones. Avoid the ones online advertised as mil spec. They are usually junk also.

Nemo

9. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Considering the weight one of those cans might be carrying, no way I'm going to depend on a "plastic" box. I'll stick with the M2A1/A2 cans.

10. Outrider9

Outrider9 Active Member

They hold up ok, especially when you consider that you can't put all that much ammo in one. I routinely make the walk from the parking lot to the tables at Chestnut Mtn with one in each hand, fully loaded, and haven't had one fail on me yet.

11. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

No coupons available in store. At least in the past 10 years I've been going there. I have more HF stuff now than their stores do so I don't go there much any longer.
    Best thing I ever got there is the electric chain saw on an extension pole ($59). Has saved me a fortune.

12. moe mensale

Are these boxes the same size as the M2 cans? The picture looks more like a .30 cal can.

13. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

from the web sight
    Specifications
    SKU(s)
    63135, 61451
    Brand
    Bunker Hill Security
    Inside Length (in.)
    9-1/2 in.
    Inside Height (in.)
    6 in.
    Inside Width (in.)
    4-1/4 in.
    Material
    Polypropylene
    Product Height
    7.1 in.
    Product Length
    11.6 in.
    Product Weight
    1 lb.
    Product Width
    5.1 in.
    Shipping Weight
    1.05 lb.
    Size(s)
    6-8 boxes standard ammo

14. Nemo

Its a 30 cal can. Maybe a bit smaller.

Nemo

15. FrontSight

FrontSight Well-Known Member

The metal cans are made for the military right here in Georgia, Homerville to be exact

16. gunsmoker

I bought 5 of them today. Total price was $16.
    The hinge pins that attach the lid to the main body of the container are metal (steel, I assume). But the hinge parts around the pin are plastic. At least there are many nubs of them, an entire row some 4" across.

But the hinges that attach the plastic handle to the plastic lid are ENTIRELY plastic, and that concerns me. But, I probably won't fill these with loose ammo, but ammo that's in its factory packaging. Meaning, there's dead air space in each box, and I'll probably only have one layer deep of the boxes, so I can see what's in the ammo can at a glance without dumping it or moving stuff around. It should be OK.

Certainly these are nowhere near as tough as a real military (metal) ammo can.

17. gunsmoker

These are not the .50 BMG size cans. Harbor Freight has those, from the same company, also all-plastic, but they're WAY BIGGER. And more expensive. Normally $15, and last month there was a sale on them for $12 each.

18. Nemo

Its real easy for the handles to flex outward and let the nubs that fit into the lid come out. If you load up the boxes heavy be careful. Carry them out and away from your toes.

They are good for loose ammo if you use them just for storage. If so pick them up by the sides.

No, they are not. But I know a guy who can get me excellent condition fat 50s for about $11 each. I wonder what shipping costs would be, if anyone is interested.

But, I am going to be back in Ga for a couple days come late April. Any interest?

Nemo

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  19. moe mensale

I've picked up my M2 cans on Ebay for $10 each. I wiped some of the seals with a little silicone grease otherwise they were in good shape.

20. gunsmoker

Speaking of 50 caliber all metal ammo cans, these are now on sale at Harbor Freight, but the sale is only for yesterday, today, and tomorrow. No coupon required.
    The new price is $9.95 each --formerly $16.