American Dies Fighting ISIS in Syria

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by EJR914, Jul 25, 2016.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

What do you guys make of this? Since the politicians are not properly using our military, tying their hands behind their backs, using them as a police force, putting their lives at undue risk, BS winning hearts and minds crap, and many other ways they are mistreating and mis using our military, should more men from America go abroad to fight pure evil in the world, forgoing our corrupt politicians and how they have screwed up our military?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/is...hting-isis-syria-killed-combat-family-n614306

Sounds like this American man died honorably helping out the Kurds, and I wish somebody could give this man a civilian award for his ultimate sacrafice to rid this world of evil.

2. phaed

phaed Active Member

no. it was wrong when the military did it, and just as wrong to do it as a civilian.

this guy believed he was fighting evil...know that the path to hell is paved with good intentions. hell, the situation just keeps getting worse because people can't mind their own business...that's how ISIS was formed in the first place.

people grabbing a gun, and going to another man's land to kill others because he thinks he is fighting evil is still initiating force. those people over there had nothing to do with him. this cannot be viewed as self-defense in any form nor fashion.

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Interesting take on things as always phaed

4. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

So if he shot an ISIS member that was about to behead a mother, father, and their children, that would not be self-defense on behalf of another? Wow, I must do some refining of my definitions. :lol:

5. phaed

phaed Active Member

you might at least want to review them. self-defense is just that, defense of self, not another. self defense would be the father shooting the guy about to behead him.

now, i wouldn't say that's the only time violence could be justified in defense. if you're walking with your elderly mother, and some guy neither of you know comes up and tries to steal her purse at the point of a gun, i think one could easily justify defending her. you know the person involved, she's not capable of defending herself, you see the circumstances unfolding in real time so there's no room for error.

now, if you were to grab a gun and go over there to that far away land because you saw some video of a guy beheading someone else, your situation is fraught with problems from a "defense" perspective.

1) it's after the fact.
    2) you don't know these people, neither the victims nor the assailants.
    3) you can never fully understand the circumstances of all concerned parties, the culture, nor the land, no matter how hard to try.
    4) it wouldn't otherwise affect you in any way...it's none of your business.

as i said, the very reason ISIS exists is because a bunch of us went over there and did exactly what you're proposing (and i say "us" literally, as i was one of them). we made the situation worse. you do not understand the consequences of what you're proposing...from 151k to 1M iraqi deaths, and a clear target for the ones that didn't die to be really pissed off at.

you cannot fight a revolution for someone else. they have to want change so much that they are willing to risk themselves, or it won't stick. if someone else comes in and tries it for them, it just doesn't work. and that's under perfect circumstances...the iraqis didn't even really want us there to begin with.

so yeah, in your little pretend scenario in your head you might be some kind of hero. the reality is much different. frankly, i've seen more violence than any man should ever know in a lifetime. it's disgusting, not anything humanity should strive toward. if you had ever been exposed to it, you wouldn't be so quick to say it's any kind of solution to some problem that's none of your business.

6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Exactly. We (the US) need to get out of the business of regime change and nation building. We (the US) may not like Assad but I don't recall him declaring war on us. We have no business trying to bring him down. If we left them alone, Assad and the Iranians and a few others could put ISIS out of business. But we (the US) keep flexing our muscles over there to make some point that doesn't need making.