AMC Theaters

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Link to Story

2. Malum Prohibitum

Movie theater: No weapons allowed
    10/24/2006
    Column by Jeff Edelstein

Attention all people who routinely carry a concealed weapon: Do not bring your gun into the AMC movie theater in Hamilton.

Advertisement
    Why? Because it’s not allowed. Says so right when you walk in. There’s two stickers affixed to the entrance. One is a picture of a cigarette, with a circle and a line through it and words that read "No Smoking."

Right next to that sign is another sticker, one with a gun(!) inside the circle, same line through it, and the words, "No Weapons Allowed."

Yikes. I mean, there you are, going to check out "Clifford III: Revenge of the Cats" and you’re faced with a sign asking patrons to please not bring their guns into the theater.

A little scary, no?

Not to mention it’s probably not very effective.

Think about it -- I’d say the type of person who routinely totes around guns, knives, and hand grenades probably wouldn’t be persuaded to lock their Glock in the glove box as a result of a little sticker reading, "No weapons."

As a result, my first reaction to all this was the following -- "What the hell?" So I called over to the Hamilton police to find out just how much weapons violence is going on over at the theater.

"In the last year, there have been no weapons violations at all," said Lt. Mike Kane. "In fact, there was only one ‘serious’ crime -- a strong-arm robbery where a couple of youths stole a cell phone."

OK. So the joint is safe. Why the sign? I went over to the theater to inquire.

"It’s from corporate," said the manager on duty.

Next stop, AMC corporate HQ in Kansas City.

"We have put ‘no weapons’ signs up in all of our theaters across America," said Melanie Bell, the vice president of corporate communications for AMC. "We believe the movie theater is a place for families, and so we’re asking people not to bring weapons inside."

The reason, Bell explained, is because the "overwhelming majority of states have concealed carry laws."

Meaning, many states make it easy enough to carry around a concealed weapon.

New Jersey is not one of them.

According to state law (Section 2C:58-4), getting a permit to carry a concealed weapon is easy: Simply write a letter to your local chief of police, get three people to vouch you’re not a lunatic, prove you know how to use a weapon, and presto! You’re shopping for bullets and ankle holsters.

But in reality, Section 2C:58-4 may as well include the following clause: "You must also prove the ability to carry on a conversation, in Thai, with no less than six (6) elephants."

In other words...

"It’s very hard to get a carry permit in New Jersey," Kane said. (Read: Just about impossible.)

Nevertheless, the well-meaning folks at AMC have -- due to their "uniform polices," as Bell states -- placed this scary-looking sign imploring you to leave your weapons in your car.

And please, no outside food.

Jeff Edelstein’s columns appear every Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday. He can be reached at jedelstein@trentonian.com.

3. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

This is why I have invested a little more than $8 Grand into a home theater so I will have no reason to go to a theater. Plus in my HT I can carry all day long and serve alcohol and not worry about ending up in a "public gathering".

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Super Bowl Party at ICP's place!

5. tony218

tony218 New Member

Super Bowl Party at ICP's place![/quote:2hpqvqak]

I SECOND THAT MOTION!!!

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Admission

Yeah, but don't you think that ICP will want to recoup some of his investment by charging us an admission fee to watch the Stupor Bowl at his place? And would that make it a "public gathering" by the way? Or would charging admission keep it from being a "public" gathering? Hmmm...

7. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Not a public gathering if only GPO members and thier dates are allowed...

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Just make sure none of the neighborhood kids are hanging out by the window watching the show or it could become one.

9. Malum Prohibitum

:shock:

:-s

Wow.

10. merlock

merlock New Member

I'll bring the potato salad. :lol:

I'd probably come alone...all you gun-nuts :shock: would give my wife a stroke :roll:

11. Maveri9720

Maveri9720 New Member

ICP,

I am in the EXACT same boat with you dude. I invested oodles of money into my HT, just for the fact that I don't have to go to crappy ass movei theaters anymore. No more stupid kids talking during the movie, no rude people not shutting off their phone ringers, or worse yet, answering them and then talking during the movie, no having to hold going to the bathroom until I am about to explode, b/c I don't want to miss anything, no being uncomfortable and antsy in the chairs, no wishing people won't sit directly in front of and block my view, no risk of getting into a fight with stupid ass people who don't know how to behave.

I could go on and on. I absolutely LOVE my set-up! That and a Netflix account is the best.

Plus, my set-up is better than the movie theater hands-down.

Now IMAX is another story............

12. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I would never leave home if it wasn't for work, or the wife hounding me to go somewhere....

Netflix is the way to go when watching movies. Most cases its cheaper than buying the actual movie and you can watch an unlimited number of movies a month.

Most properly calibrated home systems do rival and or exceed professional systems in theaters nowandays. It's not because of crappy equipment being installed, but it because of these theater companies getting cheap/un-experienced labor to perform the setups and maitenence. I used to work as a projection technician for both Regal and AMC Theaters. Used to, one had to be trained and certified by an unionized projection technician or be a union projectionist themself to even be allowed in the same room as the equipment, much less operate/maintain them. I was never unionized, but was trained by a union projectionist and thus certified as a projecitonist for AMC and later Regal Cinemas. Most "big chain" theaters don't allow union projectionists anymore and have all but done away with certifications as one of the job requirements for being a projectionist. Now it is the concession stand managers that are responsible for operating the equipment and as far as keeping the systems maintained and calibrated... you can fughitabouit... Why pay some certified operator $12+ an hour when you can get a kid fresh out of high school to do it for $8 an hour. Sorry for the rant, I took pride in my showmanship of other peoples' hard work(films).

Before we get more OT, let's compare "equipment" shall we?

Display: Sony Hi-Scan 1080i 57" HDTV
    Sound: Panasonic MOS-FET high current 7.1 surround sound receiver with HD component inputs. 130w x 7 of ear splitting power. (this is high current mind you, so it's a continuous 130watts per speaker either loud or soft) My room isn't big enough for 7.1 so I have it setup for 6.1, My speakers are as follows. The center and 3 rears are Pioneer bookshelf type. My left and right front speakers are Pioneer "concert" speakers with 15 inch woofers. I also have a 12" optimus subwoofer on the front channel to compliment the 15 inch woofers since the sub has better crossover for hitting the lows. on the .1 channel is a DCM 12inch 200 watt powered subwoofer. It mainly picks up the bass frequencies from the center and rear speakers that can't reproduce those frequencies. So if you have a seat in my house, you will be treated to nearly 1000 watts of tooth rattling sonic fury.
    Components: Sony progressive scan DVD player. Pioneer double sided laser-disc player. Dishnetwork 811 HD receiver. RCA VHS player. Custom built media center PC that can record and playback in HD, though I haven't figured out how to get HD from the SAT only does over the air. Also upconverts DVD movies to HD resolution. And somewhere in my house is a Sanyo Hi-Fi Beta player. Lastly Monster power center with stage 2 filter and HD power line conditioners. Also has a high current amp capacitor for the surround sound receiver - that thing sucks nearly 5 amps by itself. I had to put all my equipment on a seperate breaker from the rest of the room for fear of tripping it with all the juice I was pulling.

Thats about it. Got cables out the yazoo everwhere. 2 years ago I retrofitted all the cables and wiring with Monster cables since I get 60% off the price at work. In cables alone, I probably got somwhere between $400 - $500 worth of cable connecting everything together.

13. Maveri9720

Maveri9720 New Member

You are very correct. Calibration is the key to watching a movie and feeling like you are IN the movie. I can't tell you how much research I did into calibration for my tv and for my sound. I come from a background in car stereo for the past 11 years off and on.

Now that I have my own home, it was a matter of time before it transferred over to HT.

Very nice list of equipment too. I am envious.

Here is mine:

- Sony KDS-R60XBR1 60" SXRD
    - Pioneer VSX-1014TX receiver
    - 2 x Axiom M60 Floor Standing speakers for mains
    - Axiom VP150 Center channel
    - 2 x Dayton Audio Cube speakers for rear channels
    - SVS PB12-ISD 12"subwoofer
    - Apex 3 Disc DVD player
    - Philips 80g DVR
    - OTA Antenna mounted in attic for OTA HD

I'm set-up for 5.1, b/c like yourself, my room doesn't allow me to properly set up anything else. I am pulling HD OTA with my antenna and using the DVR for standard digital satellite. I am unsure of the technical specs for the watts per channel off the top of my head, I think somewhere around 110/ch is about right. I think the sub pulls 400-500 watts. I did custom wire routing to run everything into the wall behind the entertainment center for a clean, professional look.

The sound is amazing, crystal clear and the bass has already broken stuff in the house. Sux that it broke, but cool that I have that kinda power. I was thinking about getting bass shakers to put underneath my couches, but I sit in the recliner right next to the sub, so I don't need them and thus they have been shelfed for now.

The tv is phenomenal too. Has a great field of view. Almost 90 degrees to either side. It upconverts everything to 1080i. Nothing better than watching Suday football in HD on that thing. Especially since the HD is free.

And of course you can't forget the best part: the leather recliner.

I can and have sat for hours and hours, watching tv and movies.

And I'm with you too. I wouldn't leave home either if it wasn't for the bills I have to pay, so I have to work and when the wife bitches enough that I have become a hermit and need to get out more. But I love her, (the tv that is).

Sorry for the hi-jack.

14. Malum Prohibitum

With the quality of movies coming out today, this just seems like . . .

Oh, well. To each his own. :D

P.S. By "quality," I mean most movies suck.

15. Malum Prohibitum

No worries about AMC theater's sign when reading a book by the fire on a crisp autumn evening after coming indoors from a deer stand, splitting firewood, or playing retrieve with the son and labrador retriever as the sun is setting.

And they are not likely to make Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbons into a movie anytime soon, nor will Karamojo Bell's Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter (a recent birthday present from the wife) see the silver screen.

16. Malum Prohibitum

17. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Amen to that. When we bought our lake place, the first thing I did was rip out the satellite dish the guy had installed. We don't have a TV up there. In the winter we do just what you said, except we play fetch with ducks.

18. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

no weapons allowed?

Gee, I wonder if thats why they call it concealed carry? Since signs are not legaly binding and since we carry concealed it should not be a big deal.
    I agree with you guys, my wife and I don't go to movies very often and when we do she lets me know that she feels safer with me carrying then not.
    Bottom line is; carry concealed, the worst they can do is ask you to leave.
    TJ,
    :banghead: :twisted:

19. Malum Prohibitum

I didn't say anything about not carrying! :wink: