Ambush terrifies campers

Discussion in 'In the News' started by VolGrad, Sep 25, 2007.

1. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

2. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Must be pretty easy to break out of prisons these days :handcuffs:

3. pro2am

pro2am New Member

This is the example to use to argue that campers/hikers should be allowed to carry guns for protection while on WMA/DNR property.

Essentially these folks were camping next to a felon that was not going to be taken alive. Never mind the commando raid by the local LEO, what if the guy wandered into camp wanting something...like your wife, or your life.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Just give them what they want. A gun could make things more dangerous.

5. VolGrad

I am not arguing against your point - I agree with what you are saying. However, the outcome of this situation would likely have been bad. The campers admitted they were about to "jump no one of the LEOs" so if they had weapons they would likely have drawn them too. That would have definitely ended badly for them.

Again, not arguing against your point. It just would have been tragic.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Is the island in Lake Hartwell WMA, State Park, or, more likely, Army Corps of Eng'r

7. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i agree, i don't know how this all went down but if they'd just busted into my tent without warning (i'm usually asleep at 1am) most likely i'd have drawn on them and it would have ended bad.

8. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it would have been bad. But the fault would not be with the campers, even though they would be the victims. It'd just be one more point for Cato's raid map :(

9. Guest

Guest Guest

[DevilAdvocateMode]
    What if one of them had drawn on one of the already jumpy officers who were looking for an armed, dangerous felon?
    [/DevilAdvocateMode]

10. VolGrad

Dead victims. At that point, who cares who is to blame? Once you are dead, you are dead.

The idea of no-knock warrants or not announcing yourself really scares me. If someone starts kicking in my door (could be a mistaken address, etc.) and doesn't announce LEO beforehand, they will surely be greeted by a large dog and a SIG in their face. One or both of us will be dead afterward. Honest mistakes happen. I just think it is irresponsible to not announce LOUDLY. Even if I do realize they are LEOs (I would never shoot before IDing my target) I would still have a weapon in hand and risk being shot.

I am not knocking LEOs. I think anyone who has read my previous posts will know I am pro-LEO and giving them some latitude where necessary. It is a dirty business they do. Just please announce LOUDLY so I can drop my weapon before you get a visual on me.

11. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

And make sure the wife is full of BBQ and burgers at all times so she can barf on them with authority!

12. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

this is a bit scary to me. My mom lives on lake Hartwell. I could see myself & sps camping on some island like that - we like to paddle & such so it is very much in the realm of possibility. I would have had a weapon on me & if those guys hadn't been screaming poilcy I'd have been shooting & probably ended up dead. :(

Since thier intel was obviously pretty good - the BG was on the island - I can't really fault the leo's for this unless they really didn't ID themselves. I just don't completely see the point of not ID'ing yourself if you are a leo & staging this kind of raid. If you are a BG it isn't really going to matter too much to you if it's leo that are jumping you or some random group of guys are jumping you the response you give will likely be the same. However the response that a law abiding person would give is completely different. :?

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

well the corp does manage the lake and a bunch of campgrounds.
    http://www.sas.usace.army.mil/lakes/har ... amping.htm

However from their map it appears there are multiple islands that this could have happened on and there appears to be more than one state park that is on the banks.

http://www.sas.usace.army.mil/lakes/har ... rtlmap.gif

So I would say either State Park or the Corp.

14. Malum Prohibitum

TITLE 36--PARKS, FORESTS, AND PUBLIC PROPERTY

CHAPTER III--CORPS OF ENGINEERS,
    DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY

PART 327--RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS--Table of Contents

Sec. 327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.

(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile
    firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is
    prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement
    officer;
    (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under Sec. 327.8,
    with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting
    and fishing sites;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District
    Commander.
    http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422 ... 327.13.htm

:roll:

15. ForeverInDebt

ForeverInDebt Guest

All your hunting and fishing sites are belong to us. ;)