Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
I avoid Amazon as much as I can. I only buy there if I can't find what I want somewhere else. They are in a similar invasive league as Google and Schmacebook. And no way would I EVER do something like this Key rodeo.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
It sounds quite handy for a house that has a narthex.
I was thinking that too, where you have two doors that are locked before you get entry into the house, but I'll still give it a hard pass.

Too many ways I could see that going wrong.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Sounds risky for the delivery person. I’ve seen a few of the Amazon delivery vehicles and none were the same. One was a white van with a half assed placed amazon logo on one side and it wasn’t nearly big enough. Spouses sometimes don’t communicate every little thing like purchases and it’s likely when the door swings open on some houses it’s going to surprise someone.

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,531 Posts
Good way for a delivery guy to get shot!

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I use to have a few "key accounts" with the last pest control company I was working. I hated them. I always called day before, on the way, knocked very loudly, and announced who I was before the door was opened more than half way then again after I closed it.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
Absolutely not. [-(

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
No thanks. I always use Amazon Locker when I’m worried about something being stolen.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I use to have a few "key accounts" with the last pest control company I was working. I hated them. I always called day before, on the way, knocked very loudly, and announced who I was before the door was opened more than half way then again after I closed it.
How many forgot to disarm the security system?

·
Cross-drawer
7,332 Posts
If I am not going to be home, and Amazon is shipping the item via UPS, I get them to deliver it to the UPS Store that is about a mile from the house.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Good way for a delivery guy to get shot!
This was one of the many negatives I came up with. My UPS guy doesn't even knock or ring the doorbell, just leaves the package.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
How many forgot to disarm the security system?
The true key accounts did not have one. The ones that would just leave a door unlocked this time or give me a garage door code that time, twice. One gave me the code the other the lady was called and told them it was ok. Never had cops show up.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
:rotfl::rotfl:

Attachments

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
I've never had a package stolen off my front porch, but if I reported to Amazon that a package that their tracking system reported delivered was not actually delivered, what would they do? I'm guessing they'd just reship the items. If they didn't, my Amex would reimburse the charge under their theft protection. If I'm not out any money for stolen packages, their indoor delivery system is protecting their interests, not mine. So I'd want to know how much Amazon was offering to pay me to install and use this system.

(No, I probably wouldn't use their system regardless. I already have remote access cameras and door lock/unlock systems, and no one but me and my wife can use them, which is how I like it. But my point is that this is just another of many situations where I'm being asked to insure somebody else's interest. If someone wants me to insure their interests, they need to pay me to do so, not the other way around.)

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I've never had a package stolen off my front porch, but if I reported to Amazon that a package that their tracking system reported delivered was not actually delivered, what would they do? I'm guessing they'd just reship the items. If they didn't, my Amex would reimburse the charge under their theft protection. If I'm not out any money for stolen packages, their indoor delivery system is protecting their interests, not mine. So I'd want to know how much Amazon was offering to pay me to install and use this system.

(No, I probably wouldn't use their system regardless. I already have remote access cameras and door lock/unlock systems, and no one but me and my wife can use them, which is how I like it. But my point is that this is just another of many situations where I'm being asked to insure somebody else's interest. If someone wants me to insure their interests, they need to pay me to do so, not the other way around.)
Good points. Amazon wants the customer to pay for the system and assume the additional risks. I'm seeing a swing and a miss on their part.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Good points. Amazon wants the customer to pay for the system and assume the additional risks. I'm seeing a swing and a miss on their part.
I only see it working for a very small segment of the population, but I concur, a swing and a miss definitely.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts

They are selling lock-in as well as a way to sell services on top of the goods they already sell. The target market probably already pays for Prime, gets deliveries 4-6 days a week, and hasn’t made a monthly pilgrimage to a big box store to stock up on household supplies in a few years. It’s approaching having a virtual butler on staff for the price of the monthly shopping some households do anyway.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
I heard what some of the rich women in Atlanta wanted to do was to have someone not only come in their house, but actually stock their Pantry full of food as well, so they wouldn't have to do anything.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.