Am I a resident?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by wpbear, Nov 24, 2010.

1. wpbear

wpbear New Member

I am active military with a NY license, pay NY tax, and for now have NY license plate (the plates may change soon but the NY DL will remain) My NY DL has my GA (Harris County) address on it. I will by end of next week have my FL non-resident permit.

So am I a resident of GA and can get/forced a GA permit or am I not a GA resident and can carry on the FL non-resident permit?

On a side note, GA DOES allow military to have NY DL and GA license plate...I checked already.

2. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

You don't need a permit. You can carry in Georgia on your military ID.

3. wpbear

wpbear New Member

Yes I know that is the direct reading of the law; BUT many counties especially near Atlanta do not care and will confiscate the gun and spend a night in jail then have some legal problems. I have known two different people have this happen.

4. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Please tell us more! Military, in Georgia, are clearly exempt under OCGA 16-11-130! Anybody (military) who was charged, and imprisoned, needs to be in contact with DKing. They are due a considerable sum of money.

5. seajay

Yes and I know one who went through it as well. However times have changed and so has the law within the last year. Some counties around will give you grief even with a permit. There are a few on here with permits still having legal problems. So carry on your military ID. You can also use your base address to obtain a permit in the county you are stationed in.

6. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

There was an officer in Harlem who was just sure that the exemption only applied to military, when in uniform, and only on Ft. Gordon. :screwy: I straightened him out in about thirty seconds! I subsequently had a talk with his Chief, and I can assure you, no military will be detained in Harlem.

7. wpbear

wpbear New Member

So I live in Harris County and the base is in Muscogee County. Which county should I go to?

8. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

County of residence, if you really want a GWL. The only reason to have one is for reciprocity
    with a bunch of other states (not SC! :evil: ). BTW: Thanks for your service!

9. wpbear

wpbear New Member

That is a good point; Both FL non-res and GA permits still screw me on SC. Might not be worth the $80 for GA. So if challenged is it better to produce the FL non-res or the Mil ID to a copper?

10. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I am not aware of any other states that extend exemptions to military. It's worth having a GWL for reciprocity, but realize that your military exemptions opens many paces for carry that the possessor of a GWL alone does not have. Places of worship, among others.

11. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

Tennesse does.

12. seajay

It depends. If you are in a place off limits to permits use the MID. Otherwise it's a toss up.

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I don't think so. I think only when on-duty.

14. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Just come off that pocketbook and get the GWL. It will ease your mind and help smooth things over if anything ever goes down.

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

HB89 and SB308 didn't change the fact that military can carry without a GWL.

16. seajay

I know that. 308 did make more aware of the laws than were before. 89 did little to increase the knowlege of some LE forces where 308 did.

17. wpbear

wpbear New Member

Last week I applied in person for my FL permit. That with my NY DL to show non-resident in GA and my Mil ID should be good enough for me.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

https://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ection=129

19. wpbear

wpbear New Member

That says where I can apply, but it doesn't say I am a state resident. Either way the Mil ID is good enough for me as long as the law doesn't change.