ALL DEALERS...WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by mathar1, Nov 25, 2010.

1. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

If you sell guns in Ga the ATF is doing their under 21 pistol ammo buy crap again. They are sending in under age buyers to purchase pistol ammo. We had 2 come by work yesterday so make DAMN SURE you check ID on ammo purchases. It is BS and we all know it but it IS the law so be careful!

2. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Isn't inciting a crime illegal in Georgia?

3. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Not if you are mayor of NYC

4. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

This is so f-ing stupid. Why couldn't they just say it's for a rifle/carbine and buy it anyhow. :screwy:

5. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

I agree its stupid but I don't think that someone under 21 could buy it even if they said it was for a rifle because its considered handgun ammo.
    Just my opinion.

6. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

do they do this often?

7. Docindahouze

Docindahouze Member

it's basically like when they do stings on business that sell alcohol and tobacco products. They'll send in someone underage and see if the clerk will sell without checking for I.D. You can lose your license for doing so and won't be able to sell related products for weeks. Happens all the time.

8. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

lots of new gov'mt agents out there due to stimulus
    got to keep them busy

most agencies have staffed up big time in the last year

9. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Maybe we all could email our local dealers, or give them a phone call to remind them to check for ID on pistol ammo sales.

I did.

10. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

Doesn't matter what they INTEND to use it for. Pistol caliber ammo is limited to 21 or older. :screwy:

11. samman23

samman23 New Member

is .22lr considered rifle or pistol?

12. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Good question. Is there a list of what calibers are considred "pistol" rounds?

The .22LR is America's most popular rifle round. And the most popular pistol round!
    Or .22 Magnum? That round was invented as a small game and predator control round to be shot from a rifle, but it's pretty popular in handguns too. Still, I'd call it a rifle round.

Are there any others that are not primarily one or the other? I can't think of any right now.

13. Priest

Priest New Member

So... if you are 19 years old and you actually happen to find a shop that has a Marlin Camp-45 sitting on the shelf... and you buy it, and you buy magazines for it, you will not be allowed to purchase the ammo to go try to shoot it on the range in the back right then? Just so we are clear...

I hav been ID'd for an ammo purchase at Wally-World before... I show my GFL. It took a long time to actually purchase the ammo then since they dont consider that a government issued ID.... hmmm.

14. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

So an 18 year old may buy a handgun, and keep it loaded and in their own vehicle, but they can't buy ammo for it? :screwy: If I then buy the ammo, and give it to a minor, am I also going to jail? I would be if I were buying cigarettes for them. So how does an 18 year old legally get ammo?

15. GA Firing Line

GA Firing Line New Member

Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure our folks are minding their p's and q's tomorrow (and always).

DK

16. The Math Teacher

Can an 18 year old buy supplies and reload?

17. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

As of right now the .22 in any form (Mag , LR, Short etc) is NOT considered a pistol round because it was ORIGINALLY intended to be used in rifles.

18. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

Indeed they can sir. Not a single component of reloading requires you to be over 21. :shakehead:

19. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Last time I bought some .38's at WalMart the lady asked (after the cash register reminded her) 'do you have a pistol or rifle'. I said both and confused her.

20. The Math Teacher

You just got to love the government.
    :lol: