Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
After education on the subject, this is one reason I’m not fond of hybrid holsters anymore. That being said, this was not exclusively a holster issue.

Injured party for whatever reason apparently unholster from his person whenever he gets in his vehicle. That right there is problem numero uno. There really isn’t a viable reason to be removing your gun from your body outside of taking it off for the day or entering a non-permissive environment. As we tend to see, most NDs happen when holstering.

Going into the subject of holstering, the injuree obviously needs to work on it. There’s a reason most reputable trainers advocate looking your gun into the holster and holstering slowly. Slamming your gun into the holster is inviting a problem, especially with a modified striker-fired gun.

Going back to my comment on disliking hybrid holsters, I will say Alien Gear’s newer designs with reinforced backings help to address a common problem among most hybrid holsters. Most hybrid holsters with a leather backing have said backing start to droop after a few months of use. This lends itself to several problems, mostly affecting re-holstering. The sagging backing has the potential to snag the trigger and do what’s depicted in the photos. With Alien Gear holsters having a neoprene backing with spring-steel in the middle, this problem is almost non-existent.

For this guy to have snagged the backing on his trigger, he would have had to seriously goof up holstering the gun.

I looked up the issue and apparently AG has even issued an apology, unnecessary in my opinion. This guy’s own incompetence got him a body piercing, not the holster.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a reason most reputable trainers advocate looking your gun into the holster and holstering slowly.
Some of the best advise ever right there. Look at the Damn thing.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Actually found Alien Gear’s post addressing the issue. It’s not an apology, but an expression of condolences and a reminder to be more careful.

Appropriate response in my opinion, because their product was not the issue and advised against the bad factors that lead to this preventable screw-up.

Sorry you shot yourself sheepdog but that’s on you. Next time be more careful and maybe get some adequate training.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,348 Posts
I have AlienGear as my primary concealment method. I like them. They fit well, they are comfortable and they work.

I have little doubt this was due primarily to a negligent holstering after lightening up the trigger to something that needs kept in a box for a range/competition weapon and not on a holstered EDC type weapon.

HCountyGuy, a link please?

Nemo

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,348 Posts
:righton:

Nemo

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I have a couple of AG posters for my P320. While mine is a different model, I fail to see how they could cause a discharge.

·
AirUSA Member
31 Posts
I have one of the Alien Gear Shape Shift holsters for my Glock 23. Personally I love the holster. There are a few shortcomings - but overall it is a great holster setup. Without a doubt I will say this was a "user" error. I have no idea what got caught in the trigger - but a proper visual re-holster could have prevented this. The holster itself did not fail - as is supported in the pic. They use a reinforcement spring steel core - not going to buckle or wrinkle under normal use. Speculation on my part is clothing got in there. This could happen with most holsters. Alien Gear does have a setup with the Shape Shift Kit that allows the entire shell(gun & all) to be detached with a firm press of a button from the belt attachment and attached to the mounting bracket in a vehicle - never a need to unholster and reholster a weapon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.