Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.albanyherald.com/archives/Ne ... 1607a.html

Officer loses gun in training :lol:

An Albany Police Officer was a recruit in training when she lost her handgun.

J.D. Sumner

ALBANY â€" An Albany police officer has been reprimanded after she said she lost her department-issued handgun, officials said.

According to police reports, investigators first questioned Officer Shunell Borders after she failed to turn in her .40- caliber, Smith and Wesson handgun for scheduled repair on March 9.

Reports show that Borders initially told investigator Greg Elder her weapon may have been stolen, but after questioning she admitted that she had lost it.

“I asked her what the worst outcome of her losing her gun could be, and she stated ‘losing my job,’†Elder wrote in a report. “I then advised her that she had damaged our working relationship by being deceitful.â€

Borders, who was an APD recruit working through the police academy at the time, first told Elder that her gun may have been stolen by people who had been working at the police compound where her car had been parked.

The gun, which Borders said she kept in a shoebox in the trunk of the car so that her two young children couldn’t get to it, was registered into the Georgia Crime Information Computer and has yet to turn up.

According to APD spokesman Lt. Kenn Singleton, Borders was reprimanded and forced to reimburse the city for the cost of the gun.

Disciplinary documents show that she was issued a written reprimand for violating APD Standard Operating Procedure A-230, Section A, Improper Conduct or careless handling or unauthorized abuse of equipment resulting in loss or damage.

According to the document, her corrective measure is “never to allow it to happen again,†and she is warned that if there are further violations it will result in more severe discipline.

That form was signed by Borders, Capt. Ernest Williams and APD Chief James Younger.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
“I asked her what the worst outcome of her losing her gun could be, and she stated ‘losing my job,’†Elder wrote in a report. “I then advised her that she had damaged our working relationship by being deceitful.â€
How about someone could be murdered with it?

She can always get another job... can't get another life.

·
Registered
397 Posts
jgullock said:
http://www.albanyherald.com/archives/News/2007/front081607a.html

J.D. Sumner

ALBANY â€" An Albany police officer has been reprimanded after she said she lost her department-issued handgun, officials said.

According to police reports, investigators first questioned Officer Shunell Borders after she failed to turn in her .40- caliber, Smith and Wesson handgun for scheduled repair on March 9.

Reports show that Borders initially told investigator Greg Elder her weapon may have been stolen, but after questioning she admitted that she had lost it.

Borders, who was an APD recruit working through the police academy at the time, first told Elder that her gun may have been stolen by people who had been working at the police compound where her car had been parked.

The gun, which Borders said she kept in a shoebox in the trunk of the car so that her two young children couldn’t get to it, was registered into the Georgia Crime Information Computer and has yet to turn up.

According to APD spokesman Lt. Kenn Singleton, Borders was reprimanded and forced to reimburse the city for the cost of the gun.

Disciplinary documents show that she was issued a written reprimand for violating APD Standard Operating Procedure A-230, Section A, Improper Conduct or careless handling or unauthorized abuse of equipment resulting in loss or damage.

According to the document, her corrective measure is “never to allow it to happen again,†and she is warned that if there are further violations it will result in more severe discipline.

That form was signed by Borders, Capt. Ernest Williams and APD Chief James Younger.
And we wonder how the APD manage to MURDER a 91 year grandmother.

:puke:

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
tj2000 said:
jgullock said:
http://www.albanyherald.com/archives/News/2007/front081607a.html

J.D. Sumner

And we wonder how the APD manage to MURDER a 91 year grandmother.

:puke:
:?: Atlanta or Albany?

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
3 very disturbing facts:

1) loss of control of a weapon
2) willingness to do further wrong by covering it up
3) leadership that doesn't think these are serious issues

remind me not to hang out in albany

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
phaed said:
3 very disturbing facts:

1) loss of control of a weapon
2) willingness to do further wrong by covering it up
3) leadership that doesn't think these are serious issues

remind me not to hang out in albany
+1

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hrm, I have way more than one gun, I have never lost a gun. I know people who own dozens, even hundreds of guns, they have never lost one.

Yet this woman lost one gun her only gun... :roll: Yeah, she's careful.....

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
viper32cm said:
Hrm, I have way more than one gun, I have never lost a gun. I know people who own dozens, even hundreds of guns, they have never lost one.

Yet this woman lost one gun her only gun... :roll: Yeah, she's careful.....
Yep. I keep track of my stuff, even the amount of ammo/accessories.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I lost a set of ear plugs once. Found em last night in my old skeet vest...

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
I once stayed on the firing line searching for 1 cartridge of .22LR because I knew my expenditure accounting did not add up. Took me 10 minutes to locate it... wouldn't have thought of leaving with out it.

I just roll like that...

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
budder said:
AeroShooter said:
I once stayed on the firing line searching for 1 cartridge of .22LR because I knew my expenditure accounting did not add up. Took me 10 minutes to locate it... wouldn't have thought of leaving with out it.

I just roll like that...
You don't buy the value packs, do you?
I buy the 500+ round bricks. I break them down repackage them into the plastic CCI containers that I have saved. I do this so I can account for the rounds I've expended.

Looking back on my post, I probably didn't do a good job making my point. The main topic of this post is someone's cavalier handling of a firearm. I tend to be uber-conscientious about handling not just my firearm but my ammunition as well. I have simple & reliable methods for tracking the expenditure of my ammunition. The discipline I maintain for myself demands that I account for all my rounds. If one is missing, even a .22LR, I will search for it until recovered. This sense of professionalism has resulted in a perfect safety record. My point is that handling a gun is not hard, it just requires a certain amount of consistent discipline. The individual in the report lacked this discipline.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I am not going to condemn her because a gun is missing from the trunk of her car. The trunk is not an inappropriate place to safetly store a weapon. However, when it came up missing she should have reported it. It wasn't hers it belonged to the dept.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts