Georgia Packing banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
68,160 Posts
WOW!! I never thought that this would catch so many people's attention!

Well for those of you who are interested, I am Mr. Victor Andrew Mathis. I actually joined this forum only a short time before it happened and for reasons regarding legal concerns have avoided posting on any of these sites for the last 3 months because of this nonsensical episode. I appreciate everyone's concern about my plight, and I am sure you will be pleased to hear that not only did my editorial in the Andalusia Star News immediately following my arrest result in me finding FREE legal counsel, but, as of yesterday afternoon (14 September 2007), the City of Andalusia's prosecuting attorney joined a legal motion for Dismissal filed by myself on the grounds that the AG Opinion referenced in many of your posts as well as a certain Alabama Supreme Court decision rendered my actions COMPLETELY legal. Thus, all charges against me have been dropped and I am now focusing my attention on the restraining order placed on me by Wal Mart, who, without legal cause for banning me from there stores, open themselves up to civil action considering how far they ride on the piggy-back of public dollars (in breaks in utilities, road construction, traffic lights for new stores, etc...). While this is somewhat of a moral victory for me, it just goes to show how contradictory the laws are here in Alabama, and only strengthens my concerns about my "rights" to bear arms. Again, thank you to those of you who showed concern about my situation. I think that the "packing" community should really come together and stand up and speak out much more often than what we do. I look forward to any and all replies.

Thanks for taking the time to share your concerns and God bless America.

Andrew Mathis
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic ... 513#p73513

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Dang, I sure hope he isn't banned from walmart. Do you have to have a legal reason for banning someone from private property? I know he cited public dollar piggybacking...I assume that's his justification for that.

·
68,160 Posts
Well, I am glad to see the cops lost on their open carry arrest, since it is so plainly legal in Alabama that the prosecutor asked for the case to be dismissed.

·
Tactical Statistician
13,595 Posts
I was in B'ham yesterday/today and thought I was going to need my CC in Wal-Mart. On the way from the wedding venue I stopped to pick-up some beer and snacks to take back to the hotel. I was planning on watching the end of FL giving my beloved Vols the smack-down. Anyway, I had a minor altercation in the middle of the aisle with three males. I was not carrying (not that that would have mattered given how the events unfolded) as I was in my wedding clothes and didn't have my CTAC with me. I only had a OWB holster and didn't feel like pushing the reciprocity agreement by OC. It was an outdoor wedding so I wasn't wearing a jacket.

Luckily, the three backed down when I challenged them verbally. I didn't challenge them to fist-a-cuffs, just questioned their behavior and why they decided to target me. No big deal but still unusual.

Then as I was unloading my gear at the Residence Inn I got into a conversation with another guest. She had a knife pulled on her in the parking lot of the hotel the night before. I didn't get details but apparently he was messing around trying to get in some of the cars in the back parking lot and she came upon him. He challenged her with a knife. She said something about being from Texas and slugged him with her purse. He ran off. Needless to say, I CC'd the remainder of the trip. I even enjoyed the luxury of CCing while eating a nice meal out @ Landry's.

·
Tactical Statistician
13,595 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
They did not like the wedding party's orange T-shirts?
Apparently not. I was wearing my wedding attire and had on a navy blue cap with an orange T. Not sure why they cared, they didn't look like sports fans.....at least not college football.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
VOLGRAD said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
They did not like the wedding party's orange T-shirts?
Apparently not. I was wearing my wedding attire and had on a navy blue cap with an orange T. Not sure why they cared, they didn't look like sports fans.....at least not college football.
What kinda sports fans did they look like? :-k

·
68,160 Posts
Some of this looks like it came right out of my posts on opencarry.org in the Alabama discussion section . . . :lol:

·
68,160 Posts
Print version only (no link)

The charges against an Opp man accused of displaying a gun inside the local Wal-Mart Supercenter in May have been dropped. On May 9, Victor Andrew Mathis, 18, was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and carrying a pistol unlawfully after he entered Wal-Mart with a ³pistol on his side.² In a ³Letter to the Editor² printed in the May 12 edition of The Star-News, Mathis defended his actions by stating, ³The events that took place on the morning of 9 May 2007 are what I believe to be the result of misinformation, miscommunication and just plain confusion.²
Before being taken into custody, Mathis alleges he and a friend were pulled from their vehicle at gunpoint, wrestled to the ground and placed into handcuffs.
J. Scott Hooper of Montgomery, Mathis¹ attorney, said the motion to dismiss all charges against Mathis was granted for two reasons. ³The key point was that Andrew had a permit to carry a weapon,² Hooper said. ³According to the attorney general¹s opinion and Alabama Code, a person may carry a weapon concealed or exposed anywhere not so prohibited.
³[Mathis] was licensed to carry a weapon and there was no sign out front of Wal-Mart that said no guns. I can tell you I¹ve been a little more observant when visiting the store. They¹ve got placards that says you have to wear a shirt and shoes and you can¹t smoke, but it doesn¹t say anything about carrying a weapon inside.²
Hooper, who responded Mathis¹ plea printed as part of his letter asking for
assistance, said he took the case strictly on a pro-bono basis. ³I too am a staunch supporter of a person¹s right to bear arms,² he said. ³But the law is the law and Andrew needed someone in his corner.² And apparently the law has made quite the impression on Mathis. He is currently enrolled as a sophomore at Troy University as a pre-law student studying international relations.
³[The incident] has really led me to examine the policies of the law,² Mathis said. ³All while instilling in me a desire to understand the workings of our legal system.²

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
and now his SS# is on the internet for the whole world to see. :shock:

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Some of this looks like it came right out of my posts on opencarry.org in the Alabama discussion section . . . :lol:
:wink:

41 - 59 of 59 Posts