Georgia Packing banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
So for this kid in AL, the situation he describes enduring is he same as I asked here: http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... php?t=2601 Legal or not, if someone doesn't like it, you can be taken to jail for the 'freak' factor.

I don't know who called the fuzz: the store employees, manager, or just some schmo walking the aisles. But it doesn't matter. If "they" want, I'd bet "they" can make the charge stick and could get your right to carry taken away.

·
68,161 Posts
Boyracer, They can probably make the arrest - but making the charge stick is another matter. I disagree with your assessment.

In Alabama, the ability even to make the arrest is open to question!

Morris v. State, 342 So.2d 417 (1977) excerpts:

Appellant-defendant was convicted . . . by a jury . . . [of] knowingly and willfully resisting a Lawful arrest by a duly authorized peace officer for Baldwin County, to-wit, James B. Johnson, a Deputy Sheriff. Recompiled Code 1958, Title 14, s 402 reads:

‘Any person who knowingly and wilfully opposes or resists any officer of the state or county or municipality in serving, executing, or attempting to serve or execute, any legal writ or process whatsoever, or who resists any lawful arrest, whether under process or not, shall, on conviction, be fined not less than fifty nor more than one thousand dollars, and may also be imprisoned in the county jail, or sentenced to hard labor for the county, for not more than six months.’

The trial court fined him $250.00 and sentenced him to thirty days in the county jail.

. . .

. . . charged the defendant with resisting a lawful arrest. The information comported with the statute, supra. However, the State failed to prove that the arrest was lawful. In fact it was not lawfully authorized because defendant was not carrying a concealed pistol. The State's evidence shows that the pistol was in a scabbard or holster, worn on the side and was not covered.

We call attention to Title 14, s 175, Recompiled Code 1958, which reads:

‘No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefor as hereinafter provided.’

It is to be observed that this law prohibits carrying a pistol (concealed or not) in any vehicle or ‘concealed on or about his person, except . . . without a license therefor . . ..’ It does not prohibit an unconcealed pistol. Acts 1956, 2d Session, No. 43, p. 336.

It is immaterial that defendant did or did not have a pistol permit. He had a right to carry the pistol unconcealed at the time and place of arrest. Defendant was under no duty to submit to any other than a lawful arrest.
. . .

In view of the evidence of the arresting officer, adduced by the State, we see no point in another trial. The judgment is reversed and the cause is rendered. The defendant is discharged.
How is that for an appellate court case? :D

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I think Boyracers point is that if they really wanted to they could frame him - say he was carrying concealed even if he wasn't. His word against the cop. Look at the Atlanta cops - how much drug planting has been going on before they got caught?

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
jgullock said:
I think Boyracers point is that if they really wanted to they could frame him - say he was carrying concealed even if he wasn't. His word against the cop. Look at the Atlanta cops - how much drug planting has been going on before they got caught?
Dude, you don't even have to go the conspiracy route and think frame job. There are lots of other charges that an officer could make, even if a stretch, from such contacts.

·
68,161 Posts
Um, like what? In this case, the officer also charged Mr. Mathis with Disorderly Conduct.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Um, like what? In this case, the officer also charged Mr. Mathis with Disorderly Conduct.
Disorderly conduct is one, but an easier would be criminal trespass. I could also see obstruction charges easily coming out of such contacts. I'm thinking in terms of state law as local ordinances could really open up a bigger can or worms.

I'm not advocating it at all. I'm just trying to make people aware of them. You know as well as I do from your days on the job that if you really want to arrest somebody you can find something, which is a shame.

·
68,161 Posts
Criminal trespass would not fly on this one (at least not under Georgia law).

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Putting it out there as an example. Local ordinances also have to be considered. Doesn't hotlanta have a local ordinance pretty much classifying anything a person could possibly do as disorderly conduct?

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
legacy38 said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Putting it out there as an example. Local ordinances also have to be considered. Doesn't hotlanta have a local ordinance pretty much classifying anything a person could possibly do as disorderly conduct?
Nah, couldn't be that vague. It is probably more like any action that would cause a person to call 911 or tell a policman about.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Officer: You looked at me cross-eyed! That was damn near disorderly........actually.....that was disorderly! Your prize in a nice wood shampoo.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Don't you have to be 21 for a handgun?
In GA you can be given a pistol at 18. You can even buy a pistol from a non-FFL at 18 according to what I've read on this board. You just can't carry it unless you get the GFL but to do that you have to be over 21.

In Alabama I am not sure how old you have to be posses a pistol but I do know 1) Open carry is legal without a license and 2) You can be issued a concealed carry license at 18 in Alabama if the sherriff wants to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The good part is that Mathis will have a HELL of a case against Wal-Mart if he has the charges dropped. Their employees' comments might make for a great little out-of-court settlement.

·
68,161 Posts
DougG_ATL said:
The good part is that Mathis will have a HELL of a case against Wal-Mart if he has the charges dropped. Their employees' comments might make for a great little out-of-court settlement.
I don't think so. All they did was call the police.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
[quote="DougG_ATL":2pr79y8y]The good part is that Mathis will have a HELL of a case against Wal-Mart if he has the charges dropped. Their employees' comments might make for a great little out-of-court settlement.
I don't think so. All they did was call the police.[/quote:2pr79y8y]

But what did they call the police for? If they called because he was asked to leave and he did not, then WalMarx could say he was trespassing. If they called to report an illegal gun which in fact was not illegal, I would think a good attorney could find something here.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
i think alabama still overall has more friendly carry laws than ga. we have incidences here that are just as over the top as this was.

i haven't read this thread before, musta been just before i came aboard.

Like I've always said... Best thing to come out of Alabama is I-20.
fyi: i came out of alabama :shock: :D

my brother has been trying, since i joined gco, to get some interest there for a similar organized effort to make positive changes in alabama's firearms laws.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
zookeper said:
Like I've always said... Best thing to come out of Alabama is I-20.
fyi: i came out of alabama :shock: :D
So what are you trying to say here Zooie?

That you're better than I-20?

Or, that you're agreeing with the comment???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

21 - 40 of 59 Posts