Alabama Man Arrested for Carring Firearm in WalMart

Discussion in 'In the News' started by mzmtg, May 12, 2007.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

http://suppressednews.com/cgi-bin/news/ ... ffsitenews

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

disorderly conduct? :roll: the cops caused the unnecessary commotion...

3. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Police state...and Alabama doesn't seem to go hand in hand, but here's the proof. That's just plain wrong.

4. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Like I've always said... Best thing to come out of Alabama is I-20.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Based on what this guy wrote, the police action is obviously wrong, but I would like to read the witness statements and police reports as well.

What are the carry laws in Bama?

7. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Yes, the police action was wrong, but the guy should have kept his mouth shut and been polite. People are just looking for reasons so dont give them any...

8. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Why do you think all the trees in Georgia sway to the west...

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

lol

10. Sharky

Sharky New Member

That completely blows, city cant give you one, cant afford one, unreal the country we are living in these days. If facts are straight sounds like the cops found something to charge him with. If he had a decent lawyer I would think these charges would dissapear. Maybe I am wrong...

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:roll:

This guy will defeat this charge if he hires even a halfway competent Alabammy attorney.

12. Malum Prohibitum

As to 13A-11-52, check out a couple pages of discussion here.

13. lockman

lockman New Member

You can also use Wal-Mart policy to back you up. Wal-Mart follows the laws of the state the store is located. If packing is legal under state law it is allowed in Wal-Mart. I am sure based on other incidents, Wal-Mart will not back up the employees who gave you false information about Wal-Mart policy. Unless you are an employee or open carry is prohibited by law, the policy the manager stated was plain wrong!

14. Sharky

Sharky New Member

so lets see, carrying copies of official companies stance on the subject, plus a copy of constitution, geez I need a backpack already!

15. Malum Prohibitum

legacy38, the police reports won't make any difference on the gun charge.

Here you go.

16. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

[/quote:12x5euq3]

I'm still curious as to the report and statements. The popo could very well have dug themselves into a worse hole with their own report by documenting no illegal action on the part of the accused. I'm also curious as to the witness statements to see if the guy simply walked out as he claims.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Too bad there is no real organized local group in Alabama.

Maybe something like this will finally light a fire under somebody's rear end over there.

18. Malum Prohibitum

19. Malum Prohibitum

Man enters Wal-Mart with pistol

By Stephanie Nelson
    An Opp man, with a pistol strapped to his side, walked into the Wal-Mart Supercenter on Martin Luther King Jr. Expressway Wednesday determined to exercise his Second Amendment Right to bear arms.

Andalusia Police Chief Wilbur Williams said APD officers responded to the call at 2:20 p.m. of a man, later identified as 18-year-old Victor Andrew Mathis, who after attempting to enter the store with the firearm, got into a verbal altercation with store management.

"He was observed by management when he attempted to enter the store with the pistol on his side," Williams said. "When store officials explained that if he was not a law enforcement officer he could not have a gun displayed on their property. As I understand it, he became very ugly and called store officials names."

Mathis left the store but was soon located in the parking lot, still carrying the weapon. He has been charged with disorderly conduct and carrying a pistol unlawfully.

"Mr. Mathis said he was an expert in the Second Amendment and it was his right to bear arms," Williams said. "It is (a Second Amendment right) on your own property, not on property belonging to someone else."

A Wal-Mart spokesman said that the company wanted to thank local law enforcement officers for their help in resolving the situation.

"We will always put the safety and security of our customers and associates as our top priority," said Sharon Weber, Wal-Mart spokesperson. "We appreciate the quick response of our store associates and local law enforcement."

Mathis must now appear before the Andalusia Municipal Court to face the charges.