Alabama Lowers I-20 Speed Limit After Pothole Death

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Mrs_Esterhouse, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

I just took a trip to Birmingham from Atlanta on I-20 and noticed the speed limit drop from 70mph to 55mph at the state line and then return to 70mph in Anniston. After digging around I found out why.

http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.as ... yid=141940

Why don't they just fix the f**king pot holes instead of changing out the speed limit signs? The woman's death was the perfect excuse to bolster small town revenue.

2. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

Fixing potholes COSTS the government money.

Lowering speed limits MAKES the government money.

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Because Alabama gets exactly NO highway money from the federal government. At least that's what I was told from my professor that grew up in AL.

He said they literally got no money from the federal government for roads.

4. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

So a rock kicked up at 55 mph is so much less deadly? What?

I do not generally buy the line that speed limits are set to raise money. Not as a rule, although I allow for exceptions. I think it's more a matter of, like everything government does, they just think they know better than us rubes. Doing it for our own good.

But this, this just doesn't make any sense. Where's that stimulus money? Fix it!

5. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

I wonder how much it cost to change all the signage.

I wonder which federal policy AL chose to not comply with that they are being punished by the withholding of funds.

6. Nail Driver

Nail Driver New Member

I've been driving that stretch of road for the last few months twice a week. I have wondered why they reduced the speed. Funny thing is that the road doesn't seem that bad along that stretch, the worst is around Oxford where it is the old concrete road that runs like a wash board. It is IMHO all about money. I have seen as many as 3 cars pulled over by 1 officer. Just seems like the state is using this womans death as a tool to raise funds.

7. kkennett

kkennett New Member

An object moving at 70 mph has over 60% more energy than an object moving at 55.

The real issue is that heavy vehicles moving at higher speeds have a greater potential to dislodge chunks of roadway material.

I'm also sure that there is a serious component of future liability avoidance on the part of ALDOT here also.

8. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

Not sure the rock would have that much more energy. It is not moving at 70 vs 55, just kicked up into the air. I don't think we are talking about a pebble flying loose from the tire at the actual velocity the tire is rotating at (in which case I would agree with you). Anyway, deadly is deadly.

As for liability, if I was on the jury, lowering the speed limit would be a weak defense. You knew there was a problem. The fix is to... fix it.

9. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I've always heard that the best thing to come out of Alabama was I-20. Just gonna take a little longer now.

10. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

should see how many people they pull over during race time