Alabama gun laws?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Bulldawg182, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

I'm heading to Alabama for a couple days and would like info on where my GFL permits me to carry. Since www.packing.org is gone, the only source of info I can find is on GCO's interactive map which doesn't seem to specify that Alabama recips with Georgia. Also, can I carry in restaurants that serve alcohol and bars?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Bulldawg182

Thanks for the links. What the heck does paragraph (4) mean?

Section 13A-11-59
    Possession of firearms by persons participating in, attending, etc., demonstrations at public places.

(a) For the purposes of this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this subsection, except in those instances where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:

(1) DEMONSTRATION. Demonstrating, picketing, speechmaking or marching, holding of vigils and all other like forms of conduct which involve the communication or expression of views or grievances engaged in by one or more persons, the conduct of which has the effect, intent or propensity to draw a crowd or onlookers. Such term shall not include casual use of property by visitors or tourists which does not have an intent or propensity to attract a crowd or onlookers.

(2) FIREARM. Any pistol, rifle, shotgun or firearm of any kind, whether loaded or not.

(3) LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. Any duly appointed and acting federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement officer, peace officer or investigating officer, or any military or militia personnel called out or directed by constituted authority to keep the law and order, and any park ranger while acting as such on the grounds of a public park and who is on regular duty and present to actively police and control the demonstration, and who is assigned this duty by his department or agency. Such term does not include a peace officer on strike or a peace officer not on duty.

(4) PUBLIC PLACE. Any place to which the general public has access and a right to resort for business, entertainment or other lawful purpose, but does not necessarily mean a place devoted solely to the uses of the public. Such term shall include the front or immediate area or parking lot of any store, shop, restaurant, tavern, shopping center or other place of business. Such term shall also include any public building, the grounds of any public building, or within the curtilage of any public building, or in any public parking lot, public street, right-of-way, sidewalk right-of-way, or within any public park or other public grounds.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer, to have in his or her possession or on his or her person or in any vehicle any firearm while participating in or attending any demonstration being held at a public place.

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer as defined in subsection (a) of this section, to have in his or her possession or about his or her person or in any vehicle at a point within 1,000 feet of a demonstration at a public place, any firearm after having first been advised by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration was taking place at a public place and after having been ordered by such officer to remove himself or herself from the prescribed area until such time as he or she no longer was in possession of any firearm. This subsection shall not apply to any person in possession of or having on his or her person any firearm within a private dwelling or other private building or structure.

(d) Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished as provided by law.

3. kkennett

kkennett New Member

(4) is just a definition for the prohibition in (b). Don't carry at a demonstration in a public place. Plan on attending any demonstrations? If not, don't worry about it.

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Well, (c) also prohibits possession near a public place, but only if you've been warned by a LEO. I guess it's a public trespassing thing.

5. Bulldawg182

Does anyone here know if it's legal to CC in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol in Alabama?

6. Bulldawg182

Thanks, GunNut. I saw that too but that is the only thing I can find.

7. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Totally legal!

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Just avoind large crowds of screaming people with big banners and you should be fine.

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I try to avoid that at all times, regardless of whether or not I'm carrying.

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Keep in mind that all schools are not off-limits in Alabama to Alabama license holders BUT because of a quirk in federal law the GFL will not allow you to carry in an Alabama K-12 school but the GFL will allow you to carry on college campuses in Alabama.

11. Malum Prohibitum

I agree with you, but there is some dispute on this matter.

12. Bulldawg182

Well, that's interesting info. I was at Auburn University attending the grand opening of a new bar/restaurant that my son is managing. Walked through campus this morning after breakfast too. I'd like to say that this was the first time I carried in a bar, but I won't! :lol: I will say it was the first time I did so legally!!!! 8) Knocked down two birds in one trip...bar and campus while armed!!! "Sweet Home, Alabama" :wink:

13. Malum Prohibitum

:shock:

What? Why, there oughtta be a law! :lol:

14. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Let me guess...some people believe that the GFL would allow you to carry in an Alabama K-12 school?

Please elaborate on the areas of dispute.

15. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Last Saturday night while visiting friends in rural AL, I was informed by a know-it-all that the only legal means of carry in AL is concealed, and you must have an AL permit to do so. Also, open carry without a GFL is legal in GA.

:roll:

Because the know-it-all was the father-in-law of my wife's good friend and bridesmaid, I let discretion get the better part of me and stood in silent lucidity. I figured there was no sense embarrassing him in front of his family and friends (it was his granddaughter's 1st birthday party where he dropped this interesting bit of science on me).

But ignorance is like kudzu - it's every-frikkin'-where.

16. Malum Prohibitum

The dispute centers on whether the license, accepted by Alabama, meets the federal definition of whether "the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located." 18 U.S.C. 922(q).

Licensed really means "permission" not a piece of paper.

That is the dispute. Is it state permission or a state piece of paper?

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

The dispute centers on whether the license, accepted by Alabama, meets the federal definition of whether "the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located." 18 U.S.C. 922(q).

Licensed really means "permission" not a piece of paper.

That is the dispute. Is it state permission or a state piece of paper?[/quote:1rjysd5a]

I believe that there is a BATFE letter around somewhere that takes the more strict interpretation. However, their interpretations do not always stand up to legal scrutiny.