AL legislator introduces Constitutional Carry bill

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by UtiPossidetis, Jan 10, 2018.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

But does it have any legs? The article does not even hint at support in the Senate. Lots of bills get introduced. Few pass.

3. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

No idea. Interesting that it passed one house last session when both are controlled by Republicans.

4. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

You mean kinda like the national reciprocity bill?

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Yeah, kinda like that.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'm not a fan of unlicensed carry in public (especially not any type of carry you want, open or concealed).
    I think that will lead to US, the responsible gun-packing armed citizens, being lumped together in the public's eye with the thugs and gang-bangers and other criminals who currently carry guns WITHOUT licenses, and often commit serious crimes with those guns.

If we are seen as "of the same caliber" (pardon the pun) as those others, we can forget about rolling back the list of off-limits locations.

HOWEVER, if some Southern state does pass "constitutional carry" and has a drop in gun accidents and gun crime afterward, and if the rest of the country didn't experience the same kind of drop, THAT would be good evidence to use to push the idea here in Georgia.

7. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

surprise-o-meter.jpg

Savannah Dan likes this.
  8. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Yeah that's a hotly debated topic between gun owners and is as likely to be resolved as the 9mm vs. .45 debate, open vs. concealed carry, white chocolate vs. dark, etc. The only group that seems to be in agreement on it is the anti-gunners. I see the validity of constitutional carry and, contrary to SCOTUS' opinions, this shouldn't even be a state issue. However, I also see the reality of not only the current political climate and even humanity in general.

9. A. McClure

A. McClure Well-Known Member

The specific idea that I discussed with Ralston, Cagle (seperately but face to face), and a few other legislators thru lunch dates, emails, and text messages was this: Constitutional carry only in those places/locations where licensed carry is currently allowed AND also add those who choose to keep the license to the exempted persons list. My plan B was to try for a lifetime license. All were very interested, attentive and agreeable. Whether that amounts to any action or legislation, we shall see, but it won't be because I didn't try.

10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Don't you hate it when the general public keeps confusing us responsible, normally well dressed, well mannered gun owners who almost 100% of the time utilize some form of holster carry with those irresponsible, thug dressed, thug mannered thugs and gangstas who are almost 100% proponents of Mexican carry? I know I certainly take umbrage at the public's conflation. :popcorn:

11. Rail

Rail Member

The issue is lost revenue for sheriffs offices. Carry permit revenue is their slush fund.

AtlPhilip and Phil1979 like this.
  12. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Open carry there without a license is already legal there, but if you step foot in a vehicle, you are no longer legal unless you have a license.

Sounds to me all they need to do is fix the vehicle thing.

13. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Its the same up here in Va, but if you want to put on your trench coat to get out in the snowy cold you need a long belt. And in the car it can be outside the coat but better in a dashboard posting.

The Consitutional Carry idea is way better all around.

Nemo

14. Phil1979

Yeah, that's true. Most don't want to carry openly.

But Alabama has legal school carry (ANY school), so not much to work on there for off-limits places.

Permitless carry wouldn't do us much good here in GA at this time, due to the need to work on off-limits places first.

15. Rail

Rail Member

Permitless vehicle carry is also opposed for the same reason: they just assume people won't get permits anymore. It's all about $$$.

16. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

While I wouldn't describe myself as disliking unlicensed carry, gun smoker is right. The current legislature in Georgia views us more favorably because we are licensed. Unlicensed carry would likely result in more off-limits locations (a net loss for carry rights), as we have seen happen in West Virginia and other states.

There is a reason Jerry calls permitless carry* the " save $7 a year bill"

* permitless carry is the correct descriptive. Because it absolutely will not allow us to carry anywhere, anytime as guaranteed by the Constitution.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Note: The University of Alabama is stating they do not fall under the new law and their firearms policy is still in effect. No Firearms on their property even in their parking lots/garages. Other Schools of Higher Education may also be enforcing their policies on No Firearms on their campus. Use Caution until this is decided by the AG or most likely by the courts.

From handgunlaw.us

18. Phil1979

How would they not fall under the new law?

I don't see how can they get around the plain meaning of Alabama state law. It's pretty clear they only criminalized carry on school property if there is criminal intent.

So what penalty could you get? I suppose maybe trespass if they can find a blind judge.

Are there any test cases in the works?

19. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

They are taking the same tack as Missouri. The Missouri court ruled that the University system is a (state) constitutionally separate entity and the legislature has restricted powers over them. Basically, hand them money but exercise zero oversight on how it is spent. Silly precedent, but it is a legal contortion that satisfied the need of the moment to ban guns. I can't wait for someone to use that precedent in a Murder defense.

As to whether the University of Alabama system can follow the same path depends on the exact wording of the Alabama Constitution and the personal opinion of the judges. It is highly unlikely that a judge will rule against the University system. It is very powerful politically in the state.

Regarding the Alabama Constitution, it goes back to 1901 and is the longest and most amended document of its type anywhere in the world. It is so detailed that an amendment is required if Podunk, AL wants to change to a City Manager form of government.

20. Malum Prohibitum

None of which I am aware.