AK47 handguard?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gsusnake, Aug 29, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Anybody ever put a new handguard on an AK 47? I haven't shot my new underfolder yet, but I get the feeling with the metal furniture it's gonna get REALLY hot really quick.

I'm looking at this one http://www.botac.com/tdilhtopraup.html which would also give me a rail system should I ever decide to put a foregrip or any tacticool accessories (light, laser, grenade launcher, etc) on the gun.

Any thoughts/experiences?

The AK model pictured on the website appears to be the same as mine. I know this doesn't guarantee that it'll fit, but it's a nice thought.

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

REplacing the handguard on an AK or AKM is only a little bit more difficult than on an AR series. Usually that little lever is on there tight.
    If you decide to use the railed handguard, you shouldn't have to worry too much about heat transfer; if it comes down to that just put on a vertical fore-grip for the tacticool look.

(Spoken by someone who has a Bushmaster M17 with the aluminum body - talk about heat transfer!)

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

The wood gets pretty hot if you shoot it enough. The hardest part was removing the upper handguard. I'm sure your's will be easier since it isn't wood.

4. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I have the TDI arms kit that is similar to what is shown there. I have been happy with mine but I wouldn't count on mounting an optic on that top rail and it holding much of a zero. Also, botach has a poor reputation on several other shooting boards about their charging policies and shipping issues. Blackjackbuffers, Krebs Customs, and Copes have much better reputations.

[​IMG]

5. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I have the CAI Yugo underfolder with black plastic guards. I shot it this past weekend and man does that ever get hot. Of course when you're popping off the entire magazine from the hip I shouldn't have expected less. But it was literally too hot to hold. The plastic held up great, but I can see where using a material that doesn't conduct heat as well, or using a vertical grip would be a huge benefit.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Wood gets hot, but not after one magazine. Gets too hot to handle easily after maybe 2-3 consecutive magazines. Shoot one magazine, then load up another gun and have at it. More reason to have more guns. Keep 'em in rotation. :)

7. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I didn't mean they were hot after just one...between my son and I we went through four magazines pretty quick.

8. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Before I changed out my wood handguards the inside of them got pretty charred. Of course ammo was a lot cheaper back then too. I would do 5 or 6 mag dumps and get them smoking.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

The inside of the wood is darker on mine, but not charred. I've gotten it smoking a little bit, but the wood was already darker before I bought it. Maybe the wood is finished differently on the inside because of the heat :?:...

10. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

Happiness is a warm barrel. Inconvenience is s smokin hot barrel.

while i hate tacticool AK's, i do have a tapco galil handguard on one with a lower rail, so it is nice to use a fwd pistol grip so you dont get your off-hand hot when firing a lot.

Changing handguards on an AK is really easy. Use pliers if necessary on the rear sight block lever. Then the lever for the lower handguard you can use a flat blade screwdriver.

my century yugo underfolder had about 500 rounds put through it in the span of two days, got smokin hot all day and was so dirty that last night i actually cleaned it. the gas piston had solid powder muck caked on it...

11. M249

M249 New Member

I strongly discourage purchasing from Botac if you can help it. They have a reputation for selling that which they do not have in their possession to ship.

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I didn't have a problem with them when I ordered some G23 mags. That's not to say what you're saying can't be true for some. I'm just stating my experience with them.

13. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I've only had my WASR10 for a few weeks and only taken her for a drive twice. The second time I did so I ran about three 30rnd mags through pretty rapidly. This also happened to be around 1pm on one of those 105 degree days (which is why it was only 3 mags & why it was done quickly. too darn hot to stay in the sun long enough to enjoy more...). Anyway that lower handguard was literally too hot to handle. This was prior to me stripping, re-staining & applying the 3 coats of polyurethane which now adorns the wood (looks MUCH better). I can't really imagine that will help with the heat one way or another though.

What I am wondering is if there is not something that you could either line the lower wood grip with or actually place between the barrel & the wood (there is fair amount of space between em) that would either act as a heat block or that would help dissipate the heat. I would certainly prefer something that would dissipate instead of just block as I'm not sure what it might do to the barrel or gas chamber if you blocked the heat & let it all build up. Given the huge number of AK variants made, and that this is a common issue I would have to think someone has come up with something. Other than changing out the wood for some other material of course. For whatever reason I find myself leaning towards the "original" and "intended" look of the AK with wood furniture.

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I like wood furniture better on the AK, too. I'm not too worried about the heat thing. I'll rapidly unload mags sometimes. Hell, I've only been to the range twice with it. Next range trip may be as far off as the next group shoot. We'll have to see.

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

You experience is the exception.

I've only heard of negative experiences with them.

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Interesting...

17. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I've never ordered from them, but friends who have are definitely in the never-doing-business-with-them-again camp.

18. M249

M249 New Member

GSU, did you put pics of that underfolder on the site? :)

I swear, this site is going to keep my pockets empty.

19. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

20. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Well, I'm glad I was lucky. Does anyone know if CDNN gives a discount to 03FFL holders?