AK question

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by kestak, May 11, 2007.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I have an AK-47 WASR-10 7.62x39. Is it a stamped or a milled receiver? What is the difference?
    Also, I have the dise mount on the side of the receiver already. I don't see how you can fix something to it. Does it need something more?

Thank you

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I can't help you with the milled or stamped question. As far as the mount, there is a mount that looks like a backwards 7. I just got mine in from CDNN today.

This is the one I went with.
    http://cdnninvestments.com/akqudesimone.html
    There's also a Russian manufactured one that is twice the price. When i put the Chinese on my Saiga, I'll let you know how well it fits.

3. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I think the WASR's are stamped. Easy way to tell, does it have rivets? If so it's stamped.

4. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Yes, I see rivets on the side. :)
    So it is stamped.

Thank you

5. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

your WASR is a stamped receiver.

milled receiver AK's carry a more hefty price tag, but they are more solid. But hey, Mikhail Kalashnikov designed this thing to be a quickly and cheaply manufactured weapon, and capable of full auto ---- originally designed as a stamped receiver. Milling was way too slow for the Red Army to get armed up with these great battle weapons. remember this was way before the days of CNC...

more info go here http://home.midsouth.rr.com/ak47ak74

the Chinese page shows some stamped vs milled receivers.

yes, you can get a side mount for the SAR / WASR series since those Romanian ones have the provisions for it.

more Romanian AK info here http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/

6. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

I guess this one is stamped. Can anyone explain whats the manufacturing process of stamped and milled receivers? Also, has anybody ever seen these markings and know what they mean?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Stamped is made by a big press slamming down and "stamping" a sheet of metal into shape. It is how most car bodies are made.

Milling is basically cutting a chunk of metal.

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

What optic will you be using?

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

For now I just got a cheap red dot. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to get a better scope and keep the gun original, or spend the money on a pistol grip conversion and trick goodies.Here's the one I bought, it's cheap. Cool looking 8) , but cheap. If it workd great fine, if it's a POS, it's just temporary and I'm only out $20.

http://cdnninvestments.com/tasprepasibl.html

10. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Please give a report as to how the mount works. I have an AK that I wouldn't mind putting some sort of optic on as the sights are a little hard for me to see at times.

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'll get it mounted this weekend, and get a pic posted. I probably won't have time to shoot it until next week though. :(

It's a good thing that fired it for a while last night !!!

12. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Cool. I look forward to your report.

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I mounted the optics this morning. I bought the high mount, which allows you to keep and still use the factory rear sight. The lever on the side makes it easy to remove and reinstall the mount while the optics are still mounted, allowing you to keep zero set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Is it awkward to look through the optic with it that high? Can you still get a good cheek weld?

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

No cheek weld, but a very natural feel to not be leaning as far over.