Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have an AK-47 WASR-10 7.62x39. Is it a stamped or a milled receiver? What is the difference?
Also, I have the dise mount on the side of the receiver already. I don't see how you can fix something to it. Does it need something more?

Thank you
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,869 Posts
I can't help you with the milled or stamped question. As far as the mount, there is a mount that looks like a backwards 7. I just got mine in from CDNN today.

This is the one I went with.
http://cdnninvestments.com/akqudesimone.html
There's also a Russian manufactured one that is twice the price. When i put the Chinese on my Saiga, I'll let you know how well it fits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,215 Posts
I think the WASR's are stamped. Easy way to tell, does it have rivets? If so it's stamped.
 

·
hu huh, you said "Member"
Joined
·
585 Posts
your WASR is a stamped receiver.

milled receiver AK's carry a more hefty price tag, but they are more solid. But hey, Mikhail Kalashnikov designed this thing to be a quickly and cheaply manufactured weapon, and capable of full auto ---- originally designed as a stamped receiver. Milling was way too slow for the Red Army to get armed up with these great battle weapons. remember this was way before the days of CNC...

more info go here http://home.midsouth.rr.com/ak47ak74

the Chinese page shows some stamped vs milled receivers.

yes, you can get a side mount for the SAR / WASR series since those Romanian ones have the provisions for it.

more Romanian AK info here http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,946 Posts
I guess this one is stamped. Can anyone explain whats the manufacturing process of stamped and milled receivers? Also, has anybody ever seen these markings and know what they mean?



 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,974 Posts
Stamped is made by a big press slamming down and "stamping" a sheet of metal into shape. It is how most car bodies are made.

Milling is basically cutting a chunk of metal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
Adam5 said:
I can't help you with the milled or stamped question. As far as the mount, there is a mount that looks like a backwards 7. I just got mine in from CDNN today.

This is the one I went with.
http://cdnninvestments.com/akqudesimone.html
There's also a Russian manufactured one that is twice the price. When i put the Chinese on my Saiga, I'll let you know how well it fits.
What optic will you be using?
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,869 Posts
For now I just got a cheap red dot. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to get a better scope and keep the gun original, or spend the money on a pistol grip conversion and trick goodies.Here's the one I bought, it's cheap. Cool looking 8) , but cheap. If it workd great fine, if it's a POS, it's just temporary and I'm only out $20.

http://cdnninvestments.com/tasprepasibl.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
Adam5 said:
For now I just got a cheap red dot. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to get a better scope and keep the gun original, or spend the money on a pistol grip conversion and trick goodies.Here's the one I bought, it's cheap. Cool looking 8) , but cheap. If it workd great fine, if it's a POS, it's just temporary and I'm only out $20.

http://cdnninvestments.com/tasprepasibl.html
Please give a report as to how the mount works. I have an AK that I wouldn't mind putting some sort of optic on as the sights are a little hard for me to see at times.
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,869 Posts
I'll get it mounted this weekend, and get a pic posted. I probably won't have time to shoot it until next week though. :(

It's a good thing that fired it for a while last night !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
Adam5 said:
I'll get it mounted this weekend, and get a pic posted. I probably won't have time to shoot it until next week though. :(

It's a good thing that fired it for a while last night !!!
Cool. I look forward to your report.
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,869 Posts
I mounted the optics this morning. I bought the high mount, which allows you to keep and still use the factory rear sight. The lever on the side makes it easy to remove and reinstall the mount while the optics are still mounted, allowing you to keep zero set.



 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top