AK optics mount

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, May 7, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I bought a Saiga 16.3" .223 Sat, and now have a question for the AK owners here. I want to put a red dot or basic low power scope on. Am I better off with the one that uses the side mount, or getting a new receiver cover with a weaver rail attached? I kinda like the side mount idea, and the thinking that I can take it on and off as an assembly and lose my zero setting. If I get the side mount, is the Russian one worth the extra money over the Chinese one? CDNN has the Russian for $45 and the Chinese for $20.

Also, and cheap scope reccomendations? I have a basic $29 Tasco red dot on my Hi Point Carbine, and works fine for my short range use.

2. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

the top cover mount doesnt seem very stable to me.

that being said, there is a more beefy top cover with rail mount on it that has two set screws on the aft end of the cover that stabilizes it. I saw one yesterday at Ed's / Nick's guns in Marietta.

i would say the top cover mount might be decent for AK's that have the cross-bolt pin at the evry rear of the cover, that holds it very still. this supposedly is to keep it stable while lofting grenades.

my MAADI doesnt have the pin, but the Yugo M70AB2 i got yesterday does have it, and the top cover is much more stable.

I still think a side-mount for optics is the best for an AK, along with a replaced handguard with a rail on top for a scout scope or red-dot

Adam do yourself a favor and get a 22 cal Boresnake ----- makes life worth living cleaning such a small diameter bore. I normally only have to run the snake down my 10/22 twice and its clean. I got one for 30 cal also for M1's and AK's :)

i saw your post on GT but i cant post there from work (hallelujiah I can post here at GApackin). if you have a bolt hold-open mag, lock the bolt back and use a boresnake. every now and then, pull out the bolt/gas piston and clean that off. i normally only clean the gas piston and all internals etc every 500-800 rounds. tiny dab of high temp wheel bearing / disc brake synthetic grease on the AK frame rails, good to go.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Thanks for the response. I saw the top cover at Nick's when I bought the rifle on Sat, but decided to wait and look around the net before buying one. I ordered the Chinese side mount for $20 from CDNN and a red dot for it. I'm hoping they show up today. I've never used a bore snake, I was raised on Hoppes #9, a brush, jag, and patches. The Saiga has a button on the bottom that holds the bolt open, I'll use that for cleaning. I have about 120 rounds through it, so I won't worry about pulling the bolt and piston out quite yet.

4. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

you might just fall in love with the bore snake. super easy to use. there is a brass brush embedded in it that will break up crud. i normally put some hoppe's #9 near the brass brush part, pull it down the barrel once, then take a look in the bbl and see how it looks, maybe run it once more. i might put oil on the end of the bore snake so to leave a little oil in the bore, or i use a patch.

Boresnakes are so quick, it makes life worth living when you have a dozen guns to clean after a long range session :)

they are obviously really great to use on automatics, since you can pull them down from the chamber end of the barrel. Normally on my bolt guns i pull the bolt and still use the ol brush/patch method, but now i really use boresnakes for everything, unless its REALLY dirty and i have to put a lot of elbow grease into it.

22 cal boresnake for 22LR and 223, etc

30 cal boresnake for mauser, mosin, AK, M-1, 30-06, etc etc

i even bought one for 12ga just because sometimes when i'm with family and there are a half-dozen 12 gauges to be cleaned after shooting clays, its pretty quick (even though break-opens, SxS, and O/U are easy to clean with regular rods/patches)

if glocks and 1911's didnt come apart so easily i'd probably just use one for those too!

Booyah :)

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Are you comming to the shoot next month? If you like Mausers I have a nice 1891 Argentine that I'll be bringing along. It's in the GPDO pictures thread.

6. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member