Georgiapacking.org banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Re: Weigh?

gunsmoker said:
It will be the same size and shape. When you reach for it in the holster, it will feel the same. No, it won't weigh the same. Unless you figure out how to add weight to it. Maybe fill some parts of the hollow plastic frame with lead birdshot? But who cares ?! It certainly won't recoil either. Just try to see how good you can draw, point, and fire that first shot.

If you want realism, you'll have to add noise, smoke, and recoil. I could throw a pack of 16 Black Cat firecrackers at you while you do the training exercise, if you like. That's the noise and smoke. The recoil could be simulated by my slapping your hand after each shot.

Or maybe we could just have fun and learn a few things without being perfectionists.
I'm not being a "perfectionist" (for once in my life) but I do want to train as accurately and effectively as possible.

Anybody know where I can pick up some MILES gear? :lol:

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
27,996 Posts
My Bad

I didn't realize SIG sold high quality Airsoft guns made out of metal, with a gas-operated semi-auto operation. I was thinking of the $20 all-plastic guns that feel like toys. I have one of those that matches the Taurus PT-111 that I normally carry. I also have a cheap plastic M1911 AirSoft, which is very powerful. Too powerful for close range shooting without full protective gear. I would not want to get hit with it in the lips, teeth, throat, etc.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
That was going to be my question. I've played paintball & know what that feels like (sh*t hurts it you get hit at close range & don't have armor on) but I can't imagine those little bitty balls of rubber hurt very bad unless the guns spit em at a REALLY high velocity.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Tinkerhell said:
That was going to be my question. I've played paintball & know what that feels like (sh*t hurts it you get hit at close range & don't have armor on) but I can't imagine those little bitty balls of rubber hurt very bad unless the guns spit em at a REALLY high velocity.
I had some jackass hit me with a paintball at point-blank range... instead of a barrel tap, this jerk puts his barrel less than an inch off my neck, then fires twice.

THAT hurts.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
we were at the macon show and that guy that has all the airsoft
guns was there and i made the comment to my dad how realistic
they were and the guy heard me he said when you put the mag.
in it weighs the same. these were glock copies. didn't get any prices.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
The little hard plastic pellets from airsoft, especially a hopped up AEG, will sting and can leave a skeeter bite sized welts but it's nothing like taking a burst from an "Evil Pimp" paintball gun firing 30 balls per second that leaves you covered in goose egg sized bruises.

Those airsoft Sig 229s sound interesting.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
CoolHand said:
I think I'm gonna pick one up to practice safe draw-and-fire techniques.

Most ranges don't allow quick draw from a holster, and it should fit my holster just like the real deal does, so I can practice at home.

I bet if I buy some Shoot-N-C targets they'll work with airsoft, too.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
gsusnake said:
CoolHand said:

Most ranges don't allow quick draw from a holster, and it should fit my holster just like the real deal does, so I can practice at home.

I've got a gel-like target that's supposed to work with airsoft. I've used it a little bit, but if you wanna try it out you can. The pellets are supposed to stick for a minute and then slide down.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
gsusnake said:
CoolHand said:

Would the orange tip affect the holster fit enough to make a difference?

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
gsusnake said:
CoolHand said:

If it does, I'll just cut it off.

I know, I know... it's on there for a reason but if it's in my way then it's in my way.

I think the orange tip is the same size as the gun. I won't find out for a while, though, as I did just spend $700 on a new gun...

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
gsusnake said:
ptsmith24 said:
gsusnake said:
CoolHand said:

I know, I know... it's on there for a reason but if it's in my way then it's in my way.

I think the orange tip is the same size as the gun. I won't find out for a while, though, as I did just spend $700 on a new gun...
Oh ok. Just be sure you pick up the correct one since they're the same weight and size. :shock:

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
gsusnake said:
ptsmith24 said:
gsusnake said:
CoolHand said:

Oh ok. Just be sure you pick up the correct one since they're the same weight and size. :shock:
I could always paint the whole gun a different color... red training gun anyone?

I'm sure I can get some spraypaint for cheap, without messing up the gun. After all, it doesn't have to be able to cycle like a real gun, right?

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
I guess not. Not enough recoil to move the slide for semi-auto like that. Does the semi-auto function internally with the spring, or is it gas-powered? I'm too lazy to read ATM. :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm huge into airsoft, and find that it is fairly realisic (and much less messier than paintball).

If you're looking for a quality training facility based off Airsoft, check Strategic Airsoft Command in Atlanta (just off the 75/85 merge). The owner of the facility used to be in law enforcement (SWAT), and has a lot of experience. They rent the place out for trainings, and offer just airsoft games (for fun) several days of the week.

Their website is www.strategicairsoftcommand.com

I don't know how much training they do, but they do offer renting the facility.

I've played airsoft for years, and the benefits to it are:
Realistic weapons (weight and shape and size unlike paintball),
Realistic gear (I use blackhawk, ESS, Wiley, Maxpedition, tacForce, and other gear manufactures)
Pistols have realistic actions (slide cycles rounds and provides simulated recoil)

I use a USP .45 Airsoft Gun (made by a company called KWA) that is made to near exact specs of the real HK counterpart. I practice with it quite a bit. It's great for practicing draws, shooting and moving, and I don't have to worry about killing anyone accidentally!

If you're interested in Airsoft, check out Strategic Airsoft Command, or you can check out Airsoft Atlanta (located off Peechtree Corners Circle). They both sell airsoft equipment (only Strategic Airsoft Command has a skirmish site).

Also, check out my website: http://infectedairsoft.wordpress.com and you'll find out about the equipment I use.

If anyone has questions about it, and how it can pertain to shooting real guns, let me know I'd be happy to answer them!

Here's a list of links to make it easier:
http://infectedairsoft.wordrpess.com (my site)
http://strategicairsoftcommand.com (atlanta skirmish / training site)
http://airsoftatlanta.com (retail store)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Went over to my on of my buddies place, who picked up an Airsoft AR. It is a pretty nice training tool for sight alignment,trigger control, and transitions. The best part it can be used in his basement safely. I do need to pick one of these cheap battery powered airsoft for training, because he is becoming a better shot than me and has only been shooting for 2 years, where as I have been shooting since the age of 6. :oops:

·
Registered
917 Posts
I went to Atlanta Airsoft at lunch today. Freakin' cool store, other than the creepy guy fondling all the cheaper pistols, critiquing them and and talking to himself way, way too loudly. :shock:

They had a lot of the higher end pistols. I fondled a couple and dang, they're heavy and really do "feel" like a genuine pistol. The airsoft wide body 1911 (labeled Wilson Combat) had nicer grips than my real Springfield wide body! Crazy.

And they run off of propane from the green canisters you can buy at Walmart! I didn't ask if they were flammable (muzzle flash), but I assume they're not for kids even if they aren't.

A lot of 5.11 gear, Blackhawk holsters and other suburban militia gear.

The really cool part were the electric rifles: M-16, MP5, M-60, Thompson .45, bolt action with real recoil built in, even a .50 BMG!!! :shock: 8) 18 pounds!

More than I want to pay for a 'training tool' (the 1911 was over $200, the cool AR-15 looking guns were about $350), but if I were wealthy I would get a couple for grins.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Glad to see you had a good time at Airsoft Atlanta. I was just down there yesterday and today picking up christmas presents! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I do alot of paintball on a regular basis. On the weekends, I am either at the range or playing paintball. I've never done airsoft.... How do you know when you hit someone? Is it all based on the "honor principle"?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts