Air Travel

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Gunstar1, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, that ought to answer that stupid ticket agent from Delta in Portland's airport that tried to make me get rid of a $37 box of .338 WM ammunition at the counter because I had it in the gun case. When she wasn't looking, I slipped my loaded magazine of 15 rounds or .40 caliber ammo into the suitcase as well.

This was pre-2001 (by one year).

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I comply with all of that stuff now.

I always used to carry in my carry on baggage a Buck knife and several hundred rounds of 7.62 x 39 ammo and nobody ever said a word.

Now that knife would have come in handy had my flight been occupied by Muslims with box cutters, wouldn't it?

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I had a little trouble at the ATL airport a couple years ago (post 9/11). I declared a handgun and ammunition to the ticket agent, who was fine with it, and she sent me over to TSA. The ammo was in a magazine. TSA said it had to be in the original box. I told them that it did not, and that it just had to be in the original box or some other container designed for holding ammunition and which kept it secure. I pointed out that a steel magazine kept the ammunition more securely than a paper box would, and that the primers were much more protected. No go. I asked to speak to the TSA supervisor, who came over and said the same thing as the subordinate. I asked for their names while I emptied my magazine. The TSA supervisor came back over to tell me that, by the way, I could not put the loose ammunition in my luggage, either. I thanked him, and informed him that it would be much safer in the public trash can into which I was about to throw it. When I got home, I wrote TSA a letter about it. They never replied, but soon thereafter changed their rules to say that magazines were okay if the magazines were secured.