Air rifle questions in GA

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by dracflamloc, Sep 7, 2007.

1. dracflamloc

dracflamloc New Member

I came here looking for information on air rifles in general, and also on specific info pertaining to their use in Georgia (Specifically in the Savannah area).

I'm looking at getting an air rifle since I went on vacation in Maine and shot my brother's air rifle for some target practice. I'm not looking for advice on specific models of rifles though.

In general I just want to know if anyone knew any good places to shoot around Savannah. Also some advice on back-yard target practice (is it even allowed?) and distances etc would be nice.

Any tips in general would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

If it's an air rifle I'd just practice inside (if you have the room).

I shot varsity rifle team in high school, and the distance we used for practice and competition was 10M. As to if you are allowed to discharge your air rifle in your backyard, that'll be governed by a local ordinance.

3. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Cool. Didn't know there was such a thing. A girl I work with went to HS in FL and she was a cheerleader, swimmer, and girls weight lifter. Who knew?

4. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

me and my neighbor shoot air rifles all the time in the backyard, and this is suburban atlanta where its pretty densely populated.

i doubt you'd have any hassles doing it around savannah....

squirrels get dropped dead in my yard, highly recommend a Gamo air rifle.

1200 fps with the plastic PBA ammo! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: i wouldnt ever want to shoot it inside, its LOUD :twisted:

5. dracflamloc

dracflamloc New Member

Thanks for the tip. My brother had a Gamo and it seemed nice. I bought a Crosman from walmart (G1 Xtreme) and its already broken! I'm returning it tonight.

6. VolGrad

link? pics? price?

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

A lot of cities have ordinances banning discharge of air rifles.

8. VolGrad

Googled them.

I want one of these

I'm not proposing poaching......However, do you think one of these would take down a deer? I can't keep hostas or any thing else for that matter. The only thing they leave are the weeds.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Not too bad, vol.

10. Claire

Claire New Member

I used to use a pellet trap in my basement
    [​IMG]

I shoot BB's & pellets in my yard all the time

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I don't think that pre-emption covers airguns.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

or the discharge thereof.

13. VolGrad

FYI - I was in Academy Sports yesterday afternoon. They have many of the GAMO air rifles in stock. They ranged from $70 to $200. They didn't, however, have the Shadow model.

14. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i' ve had a diana mod 34 '1000fps' for @ 20 years and tho i don't shoot it much as i used to it's always been a great air gun. before that i had an old crossman 760 that took years of punishment.

[​IMG]

15. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

i have the Gamo Shadow.... comes with a 3-9x40 scope.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/search/s ... rch&k=gamo

synthetic stock, nice cheek bulge, adj trigger, etc. they are one-shot, one-pump/break-open. one shot is all you need!

using their PBA ammo, kills squirrels dead. it is loud, however. that Whisper thing looks pretty sweet :)